Clio V6 - with pics

AK350Z

Called round my friend Phils house on sunday for a bike ride and he informs me he's chopping his R27 Clio in for a phase 2 V6 model. We had a good run out to hartside last year with his current car and i posted some pics up on here:

http://350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35237&p=525853&hilit=hartside#p525853

As Far as I know, hes going for it either this friday or the weekend, and if the weather's nice we might revisit the area for a new car "familiarisation" session :)

I think it's this one from pistonheads, but the alloys and air scoops are being put back to original silver:

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2413685.htm

Also has the apparently sought after Recaros.

We both know its not the fastest or best handling thing on four wheels, but they do have that crazy thing going about them, like some sort of homologation special that never actually raced.

To be continued... :drive1

My brother in law has one mate, blue with the silver pods.

DSC000141-1.jpg

DSC00013-1.jpg

It's an odd car really, feels really quick, sounds great having the v6 right behind you, and feels really stable in the corners, but when it does let go (happened on a track day when i was watching) he really had no chance of catching it due to it's short wheel base. He gets alot, and i mean ALOT of attention in it. We stopped 4 or 5 times at various pubs on the day those photo's were taken for refreshments and something to eat and every time we came out, someone would ask him about the car. Not a car for the shy and reserved.

They are quite rare now too, my B.I.L likes to keep track of how many are written off on the forums! His lives in the garage probably 8 months of the year in a little oxygen bubble!

Performance wise, after being a passenger in both the v6 and the FRS that day, there didn't feel much in it to be honest. the FRS puts about 215bhp out i think, and the v6 is the standard 255 model.

a mate used to have one of these, a MK1 i think. with the bulge twin headlights.

it was totally mental, but a sod in the summer tho. the cabin was soooooooo hot due to the mid mounted engine, the A/c did not touch it. perhaps they sorted this issue in the MK2.

straight line it was brilliant, twisties not so good. he was always going through tyres as i remember.

but as said it got LOADS of attention. even in the silver colour that was fairly understated.

very nice car and quite rare now-a-days.

Yeah, it was featured in Evo's depreciation busters feature this month, so should be a good deal to run for a few years. I think the propensity to spin on the limit is exacerbated by the lack of steering lock, 5 point turns all the way I hear.

We swapped cars for a while on the Hartside trip. He was interested in a Zed at one point, but I think the fact I had one already put him off. :lol: Anyway, hopefully if we do a drive out somewhere I'll get to have a spin (not literally!) and see what all the fuss is about.

I will defiantly take him to one side at some point and teach him the benefits of clay barring!

Lovely looking wee cars :cloud9: but IMO the 172 & 182 are both better cars!

The Clio doesn't need all that power! 2.0l and 16v is plenty! :drive1

Agreed, i had a mk1 clio 16v (1.8) and in the corners the v6 was quicker but only just, even my B.I.L. said he felt "safer" in the 16v in the fast corners when driving :lol:

Clio has landed!

Went to take a look today and a few pictures. They certainly look a lot more purposeful in the metal than in pics. The lack of lugage space is laughable though :lol: It certainly ain't no GT. The front boot isn't even watertight!

Bath time:

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Boot space? we've heard of it!

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

No noise clips yet i'm afraid, did have a quick pax lap it it and it pulls very well! Feels a bit more peaky than the Zed, but the stock noise is excellent with the engine being in the cab with you.

I'm off to Germany again on tuesday, so won't be seeing Phil again for a week or so. But we are planning a repeat trip to Hartside when I get back if the weather is nice. :drive1