2005/54 350z GT - General questions

HassanZ

Hi everybody!

I've now owned my 350z for just over a week and have a few questions. I have loved every minute of it so far!

- What is the recommended oil to use in the engine. The previous owner used Millers 5w-40, is this the correct oil and how good is Millers? Can I top it up with Mobil 1 5w-40 instead? If carry out an oil change, what type and make of oil should I replace it with? The car is currently at 44k on the clock.

- Is it normal for the plastic front bumper colour to change or should it stay the same colour as the rest of the car? I have noticed my front bumper is a slightly different shade compared to the rest of the car. Could it have been resprayed? Considering the car is only at 44k, the front bumper has a tremendous amount of stone chips which stick out like a sore thumb! You can see the yellow/white undercoating.

- What is the safest leather cleaner/conditioner for the Alezan (tan) leather? I don't want to end up staining it!

- Are 350z's meant to judder slightly when idling?

- When I press my boot release button above the number plate, it latches open (but still locked). I always have to press it a second time to completely release it. Is this normal?

- I always have to press the unlock button on the fob 3 times to unlock the passenger door, can I have it programmed so all the doors unlock upon one press?

- How many minutes do I have to wait till I can take the engine up to red line? If I only wait about 3 minutes before taking it up to redline, what could happen?

- I've noticed some condensation in my headlights, it disappears during the day and reappears during a cold night. Is it ok if I ignored it or will I risk damaging the HID bulbs/units?

- When you're parking close to a curb and you turn the steering whilst stationary until the wheel hits the curb and the steering stops turning, is that bad for your car? Can that affect your alignment or would you have to hit the curb harder to affect your alignment? How bad is dry steering on the 350z?

- My airbag light has come on - I searched the forum and found the reset procedure. I tried this and the airbag light disappeared and triggered again a few hours later. I've tried this more than once with the same result. Any suggestions?

- I am fitting a Toyosport performance exhaust system onto my car. Anybody know what they're like?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Hassan

p.s - I apologise for the 1000 questions!!

I don't have all the answers but I'll answer the ones that I do.

Plastic bumpers, in fact any plastic on the Zed will always look to be a different colour, so perfectly normal.

Boot release...well that's a very common problem. You can fix by one of two methods, have the struts regassed or remove the balance weight which is hidden away underneath the plastic upholstery in the boot.

Key fob can be reprogrammed, press and hold both the buttons for 5 seconds, this removes the anti-hijack protection. Do the same to turn it on again :thumbs:

Someone will be along soon to answer the rest of your questions :)

Pete

Liqued leather for the seats,not cheap but far the best,all bumpers on the z chip a lot due to the shape,redline within seconds they reckon,i dont & dont know why you would want to so soon? Lumpy on idle sounds like it needs a service. Yes hold the buttons on the fob works,yes mob 1 would be ok but i prefer not mixing oils but thats just me & imo there's better oils than mobil 1.

I've filled in the blanks I can...!

Hi everybody!

I've now owned my 350z for just over a week and have a few questions. I have loved every minute of it so far!

- What is the recommended oil to use in the engine. The previous owner used Millers 5w-40, is this the correct oil and how good is Millers? Can I top it up with Mobil 1 5w-40 instead? If carry out an oil change, what type and make of oil should I replace it with? The car is currently at 44k on the clock.

There is a very detailed guide to oils section on here (hint hint!). You can use whatever brand you wish, personally I use Titan 5w30 (used to be called Silkolene). Visit Opie Oils for more info.

- Is it normal for the plastic front bumper colour to change or should it stay the same colour as the rest of the car? I have noticed my front bumper is a slightly different shade compared to the rest of the car. Could it have been resprayed? Considering the car is only at 44k, the front bumper has a tremendous amount of stone chips which stick out like a sore thumb! You can see the yellow/white undercoating.

Normal

- What is the safest leather cleaner/conditioner for the Alezan (tan) leather? I don't want to end up staining it!

Any decent brand cleaner should be fine - I currently have Autoglymm, not had any probs

- When I press my boot release button above the number plate, it latches open (but still locked). I always have to press it a second time to completely release it. Is this normal? Yes

- I always have to press the unlock button on the fob 3 times to unlock the passenger door, can I have it programmed so all the doors unlock upon one press? I think so - or just drive solo - more fun! :lol:

- How many minutes do I have to wait till I can take the engine up to red line? If I only wait about 3 minutes before taking it up to redline, what could happen? Don't know TBH, but I don't think it's particularly good for the engine to be redlined until the oil has warmed up

- I've noticed some condensation in my headlights, it disappears during the day and reappears during a cold night. Is it ok if I ignored it or will I risk damaging the HID bulbs/units?

- When you're parking close to a curb and you turn the steering whilst stationary until the wheel hits the curb and the steering stops turning, is that bad for your car? Can that affect your alignment or would you have to hit the curb harder to affect your alignment? How bad is dry steering on the 350z? Shouldn't really be an issue if you're stationary

- My airbag light has come on - I searched the forum and found the reset procedure. I tried this and the airbag light disappeared and triggered again a few hours later. I've tried this more than once with the same result. Any suggestions? I've had this too - have you been cleaning the interior? Sometimes you can knock the connectors under the seats - make sure they are all secure and reset again - this worked for me. If this doesn't work then get it checked out.

- I am fitting a Toyosport performance exhaust system onto my car. Anybody know what they're like? Don't know - try search

Your help is very much appreciated. No worries mate - enjoy the ZED!

Hassan

Somebody will be along shortly to banter you about the search button :boxing:

- How many minutes do I have to wait till I can take the engine up to red line? If I only wait about 3 minutes before taking it up to redline, what could happen?

There is no 'set' minutes, you should always wait till the oil is up to temperature before even considering taking the engine near the redline. As you will have seen as standard they do not have an oil temp gauge, but typically once the oil pressure level sits just over 60 at 60-70mph~ the oil is up to temperature.

I don't have all the answers but I'll answer the ones that I do.

Plastic bumpers, in fact any plastic on the Zed will always look to be a different colour, so perfectly normal.

Boot release...well that's a very common problem. You can fix by one of two methods, have the struts regassed or remove the balance weight which is hidden away underneath the plastic upholstery in the boot.

Key fob can be reprogrammed, press and hold both the buttons for 5 seconds, this removes the anti-hijack protection. Do the same to turn it on again :thumbs:

Someone will be along soon to answer the rest of your questions :)

Pete

My brothers silver Supra had the same issue, his rear bumper looked a different shade to the rest of the car.

With regards to my zed, the rear bumper color matches the rest of the car perfectly. The front bumper looks quite different, it has a more bronzey shade to it. I was thinking it's because of the plastic too, but a lot of people have noticed the colour difference.

The guy I bought it off assured me the car had not been resprayed (looked like an honest guy and is about 60 years old who owned it since 2005). Also the number of stone chips confirms this. The car painter at work (a body shop) thinks it has been resprayed, but there are no signs of over spray at all.

Does anybody else have a gunmetal grey zed who can confirm this?

What does this balance weight do?

OMG :scare: is it actually that simple!? I thought I would have to go to Nissan and get it reprogrammed, being charged at least £40! You're a star!! :teeth:

I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer as many questions as you can, you've been very helpful!! Thank you!!

Liqued leather for the seats,not cheap but far the best,all bumpers on the z chip a lot due to the shape,redline within seconds they reckon,i dont & dont know why you would want to so soon? Lumpy on idle sounds like it needs a service. Yes hold the buttons on the fob works,yes mob 1 would be ok but i prefer not mixing oils but thats just me & imo there's better oils than mobil 1.

Can you point me in the right direction for this leather product? Is it safe to use on tan leather?

You can redline the zed within seconds :scare: Did Nissan say this? I usually don't exceed 2k revs for at least about 5 mins of driving.

Yesterday was an exception...I got carried away and felt really bad for doing it! I got out my work car park after letting the car idle for a few seconds before taking off. There was a Civic Type R next to me who you could tell wanted to race me! I got carried away and put my foot down not long after coming out of the car park. I still feel guilty a day later!

The car was serviced 1k miles ago, it idles perfectly fine. But on the rear occasion, the car would like skip a beat. It's hard to explain. It's like the rev drops for a millisecond and causes a thud-like sound?

Which oil would you recommend and what type?

Your help is really appreciated! Thank you!! :)

I've filled in the blanks I can...!

Hi everybody!

There is a very detailed guide to oils section on here (hint hint!). You can use whatever brand you wish, personally I use Titan 5w30 (used to be called Silkolene). Visit Opie Oils for more info.

I will definitely give them a try! :)

Normal

Thanks!

Any decent brand cleaner should be fine - I currently have Autoglymm, not had any probs

I've got some Autoglym leather restorer and conditioner I used to use on my BMW seats in my shed, I'll have to give it a try!

- When I press my boot release button above the number plate, it latches open (but still locked). I always have to press it a second time to completely release it. Is this normal? Yes

- I always have to press the unlock button on the fob 3 times to unlock the passenger door, can I have it programmed so all the doors unlock upon one press? I think so - or just drive solo - more fun! :lol:

LOL!!! Only if it was that easy... ;)

- How many minutes do I have to wait till I can take the engine up to red line? If I only wait about 3 minutes before taking it up to redline, what could happen? Don't know TBH, but I don't think it's particularly good for the engine to be redlined until the oil has warmed up

Yeah I thought that too...I'll have to be more careful!!

- When you're parking close to a curb and you turn the steering whilst stationary until the wheel hits the curb and the steering stops turning, is that bad for your car? Can that affect your alignment or would you have to hit the curb harder to affect your alignment? How bad is dry steering on the 350z? Shouldn't really be an issue if you're stationary

Thanks!

- My airbag light has come on - I searched the forum and found the reset procedure. I tried this and the airbag light disappeared and triggered again a few hours later. I've tried this more than once with the same result. Any suggestions? I've had this too - have you been cleaning the interior? Sometimes you can knock the connectors under the seats - make sure they are all secure and reset again - this worked for me. If this doesn't work then get it checked out.

The car was spanking clean when I bought it last week, I'm guessing the seller had it valeted before I bought it? The Nissan dealership have also suggested it's the wire under one of my seats which may have been knocked whilst valeting...

- I am fitting a Toyosport performance exhaust system onto my car. Anybody know what they're like? Don't know - try search

Your help is very much appreciated. No worries mate - enjoy the ZED!

Hassan

Somebody will be along shortly to banter you about the search button :boxing:

LOL!!! I know!

Thanks for your help though!!!

There is no 'set' minutes, you should always wait till the oil is up to temperature before even considering taking the engine near the redline. As you will have seen as standard they do not have an oil temp gauge, but typically once the oil pressure level sits just over 60 at 60-70mph~ the oil is up to temperature.

Yeah...I'll have to be more careful next time and not get egged on to race!

This is the first time ever (in any car) I have put my foot down within 10 minutes of starting the car...I feel really bad!!

My car has been resprayed twice to get rid of the stone chips and its also an 05. Paint matching isnt always done well.

The weight is just that, to add weight to the boot, there is a guide to removing it on here. :)

Hmm I'm gonna have to get the front bumper resprayed...I hate leaving my car at body shops!

Is there a reason for the weight? I'll have to search for the guide and give it a try...

Thanks for your help!! :thumbs:

Hmm I'm gonna have to get the front bumper resprayed...I hate leaving my car at body shops!

I wouldn't worry too much about the resprayed bumper - so long as it is intact any doesn't have any signs of substantial repairs. Sounds like it might just be a poor respray (or possibly a poor factory job!) - a decent bodyshop should sort it (in fact some come out better than new - exact match). If you are going to get it resprayed it might be worth thinking about getting a paint shield put over it too - or you'll be forking out again in the future (speed = stone chips!).

Is there a reason for the weight? I'll have to search for the guide and give it a try...

The weight is there to help you when you close the boot. The boot is on struts, so the weight allows you tp give the boot just a gentle push too close it - the weight then does all the work. If you remove the weight, you will need to push the boot all the way down to close it, as the struts will try to keep it open! (unless they're like mine and need regassing... :blush: !)

Is there a reason for the weight?

Yeah, it's supposed to act as a balance so the boot opens and closes smoothly and without too much human effort. If you add a spoiler for example then the weight will really need to be removed as the boot won't stay open. I had my Zed 3 and a half years before I joined this forum and thought the double push on the boot release was the way it was supposed to work :shrug:

Pete

I wouldn't worry too much about the resprayed bumper - so long as it is intact any doesn't have any signs of substantial repairs. Sounds like it might just be a poor respray (or possibly a poor factory job!) - a decent bodyshop should sort it (in fact some come out better than new - exact match). If you are going to get it resprayed it might be worth thinking about getting a paint shield put over it too - or you'll be forking out again in the future (speed = stone chips!).

How long do you think I have to wait after a respray until I can apply a paint shield on? I'll probably be carrying out a respray very soon. Can you point me in the right direction to source a paint shield? How much would it cost?

The weight is there to help you when you close the boot. The boot is on struts, so the weight allows you tp give the boot just a gentle push too close it - the weight then does all the work. If you remove the weight, you will need to push the boot all the way down to close it, as the struts will try to keep it open! (unless they're like mine and need regassing... :blush: !)

LOL yea I heard thats a common fault. A lot of zed boots try eating the owner up!!

Thanks for your help!!

Is there a reason for the weight?

Yeah, it's supposed to act as a balance so the boot opens and closes smoothly and without too much human effort. If you add a spoiler for example then the weight will really need to be removed as the boot won't stay open. I had my Zed 3 and a half years before I joined this forum and thought the double push on the boot release was the way it was supposed to work :shrug:

Pete

That's exactly what I thought!! Sometimes I press the button 3 times before the boot releases. I have to assist the button my pulling the boot open and pressing it at the same time, then it will release. Annoying when you have things in one of your hands!

there is an even simpler way to get the boot to pop open, just stick black any slip pads, around 4mm thick on teh bottom of the boots.

And hey presto it works a charm

Can you explain this in more detail? I'll probably give this a try first :thumbs:

Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37034&hilit=penny+trick

The first pics show the "boots" neo-ninja means. An alternative to the 'penny trick' set out in that thread.

there is an even simpler way to get the boot to pop open, just stick black any slip pads, around 4mm thick on teh bottom of the boots.

And hey presto it works a charm

Can you explain this in more detail? I'll probably give this a try first :thumbs:

Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37034&hilit=penny+trick

The first pics show the "boots" neo-ninja means. An alternative to the 'penny trick' set out in that thread.

Yes sorry should have linked, it has worked really well for me, i bought white ones so had to paint black but was dead simple. (I did this partly as my boots just wouldnt come off.

How long do you think I have to wait after a respray until I can apply a paint shield on? I'll probably be carrying out a respray very soon. Can you point me in the right direction to source a paint shield? How much would it cost?

The paint shield is something the bodyshop would do for you after the respraying, I think it can be right away since they heat cure the paint and lacquer, but I'm no expert on it!!

Prices vary but I guess it would make sense to get it done at the same place whilst the bumper is already off the car. Sorry I'm not sure on the cost. :)

You won't actually be able to reprogram your fob to open both doors, at least I can't on my 54 plate. I believe it's an 06+ and JDM feature.

Yes you can - this has been asked several times before - see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17990&hilit=unlocking+doors

I guess it's just mine then, I've tried many times, exactly 5 seconds, exactly 6, 7, longer, 30 seconds even!. Maybe I've got a dodgy fob or something :|

Thank you all for the help guys! As soon as I get a chance, I will start sorting these out!

Got a few more questions having driven for 2 weeks now...

- I've noticed some GT Z's have 2 knobs on the side of the seat and some have one (mine has 2). What is the Z's with only 1 swivel knob missing? Is it an optional extra or something?

- When I've parked up after a drive, my idle seems perfectly fine. As soon as I switch my headlights and heating off. The idle drops and then starts to judder a little. You can hear the exhaust thudding to the rev fluctuation. Sounds bit like a knock/misfire? Is this normal?

- I've noticed my interior roof light flickers sometimes, how do I rectify this?

- I've noticed I've got an antenna stuck onto the windscreen just above the rear view mirror and some unit inside my armrest storage section. Has my car been Bluetooth phone prep'd? Is this an optional extra or a standard fit onto GT models?

- What is the best/safest product to remove bird etching off my bonnet and rear spoiler?

- Can I source RAYS alloy wheel touch up paint from somewhere? Want to touch them up as a temporary fix until I get my wheels refurbed.

- Is it possible to remove touch-up paint of the bodywork once applied and dried (like an excess amount around a stone chip)?

I really appreciate your help guys and I'm glad I joined this forum instead of the others. You guys are really helpful and understanding, always willing to help as much as possible. This is what makes this forum a great place to be!! :thumbs:

Thank you all for the help guys! As soon as I get a chance, I will start sorting these out!

- I've noticed some GT Z's have 2 knobs on the side of the seat and some have one (mine has 2). What is the Z's with only 1 swivel knob missing? Is it an optional extra or something? Not sure - if you got two then don't worry about it!

- When I've parked up after a drive, my idle seems perfectly fine. As soon as I switch my headlights and heating off. The idle drops and then starts to judder a little. You can hear the exhaust thudding to the rev fluctuation. Sounds bit like a knock/misfire? Is this normal? I believe it's normal for the idle to drop a wee bit when you switch of the heating etc... any strange noises whilst driving? I gave my throttle body a good clean, and also carried out the throttle body reset procedure - this improved idle quite a lot

- I've noticed my interior roof light flickers sometimes, how do I rectify this? Loose connection somewhere perhaps?

- I've noticed I've got an antenna stuck onto the windscreen just above the rear view mirror and some unit inside my armrest storage section. Has my car been Bluetooth phone prep'd? Is this an optional extra or a standard fit onto GT models? There is a bluetooth module you can buy which slot into the arm rest cradle - this enables you to use the steering wheel control for your phone. They pop up for sale on here every now and then (£60-£100)

- What is the best/safest product to remove bird etching off my bonnet and rear spoiler? Try a fairly non abrassive polish to start with to see if that sorts it. If not, use (carefully) gradually more abrasive polish - but don't go too far - avoid T-Cut and the like, a it can be a bit too rough on the Zed's paint

- Can I source RAYS alloy wheel touch up paint from somewhere? Want to touch them up as a temporary fix until I get my wheels refurbed. Ford Strato Silver is a good match, have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13777

- Is it possible to remove touch-up paint of the bodywork once applied and dried (like an excess amount around a stone chip)? I think that once its dried you can then polish out the excess

I really appreciate your help guys and I'm glad I joined this forum instead of the others. You guys are really helpful and understanding, always willing to help as much as possible. This is what makes this forum a great place to be!! :thumbs:

No worries - hope this helps :)

- I've noticed some GT Z's have 2 knobs on the side of the seat and some have one (mine has 2). What is the Z's with only 1 swivel knob missing? Is it an optional extra or something? Not sure - if you got two then don't worry about it!

LOL true... I'm just an inquisitive person :blush:

- When I've parked up after a drive, my idle seems perfectly fine. As soon as I switch my headlights and heating off. The idle drops and then starts to judder a little. You can hear the exhaust thudding to the rev fluctuation. Sounds bit like a knock/misfire? Is this normal? I believe it's normal for the idle to drop a wee bit when you switch of the heating etc... any strange noises whilst driving? I gave my throttle body a good clean, and also carried out the throttle body reset procedure - this improved idle quite a lot

No strange noises whilst driving. Just when idling with the fan and lights off...how do you reset the throttle body, might give that a try.

- I've noticed my interior roof light flickers sometimes, how do I rectify this? Loose connection somewhere perhaps?

I'll try remove the light cover and check if the bulb is securely in place. Is there a specific way of removing the light cover?

- I've noticed I've got an antenna stuck onto the windscreen just above the rear view mirror and some unit inside my armrest storage section. Has my car been Bluetooth phone prep'd? Is this an optional extra or a standard fit onto GT models? There is a bluetooth module you can buy which slot into the arm rest cradle - this enables you to use the steering wheel control for your phone. They pop up for sale on here every now and then (£60-£100)

I will try sourcing this module :thumbs:

- What is the best/safest product to remove bird etching off my bonnet and rear spoiler? Try a fairly non abrassive polish to start with to see if that sorts it. If not, use (carefully) gradually more abrasive polish - but don't go too far - avoid T-Cut and the like, a it can be a bit too rough on the Zed's paint

I've already polished the car with Auto Glym super resin polish with no joy. I've been recommended to use G50, you heard of it?

- Can I source RAYS alloy wheel touch up paint from somewhere? Want to touch them up as a temporary fix until I get my wheels refurbed. Ford Strato Silver is a good match, have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13777

That's very helpful thank you! I will go to the Ford dealership and try get hold of some...

- Is it possible to remove touch-up paint of the bodywork once applied and dried (like an excess amount around a stone chip)? I think that once its dried you can then polish out the excess

Thanks mate, gives me peace of mind just incase I end up getting touch up paint on surfaces I did not want to touch up!!! :D

No worries - hope this helps :)

Thanks for our help mate :thumbs:

I'm going to go and fill up some air in my tires later, I've got the standard Bridgestone Potenza 040 on the front and Bridgestone Potenza 050a on the rears. The sizes are front: 225/45/18 rear: 245/45/18. What pressure to I get the tires up to (both bar and PSI)?

Does the car come with 040's on the front and 050's on the rear as standard or has the previous owner gone for cheaper tires for the fronts?