Switchable decats is it possible?

Matt L

Hi all,

I have the milltek system on the car at the moment and im unsure if it has hfcs or just standard cats in it tbh as there is a reciept for hfcs from 2008/9 in the paper work but the advert mentioned new nissan cats a few months before the sale but anyway...

What will make the milltek system bark that little bit more?

I love the idea of a switchable decat system (kind of like press a button and it swaps the flow of the exhaust either through the decat or the cat) but i doubt thats really possible so is there an easy way of fitting and removing the cats whenever the time is needed? or is it best just to leave as is because its a pain to swap them over and it wont make much difference in the sound?

Suppose it doesnt help i dont knwo what cats are on at the moment.

if you could find space, you could fit cut-outs in front of the cats.

But, when open it would sound weird as all the cars sound would be coming from the front.

Cut outs traditionally are fitted at the back just before the silencer, and are commonly only fitted an True Dual systems.

My R8 has no silencing at all when the cut-outs aere open. I warn you.....its effing loud!

you can get switchable Y pipe sections but to connect them up to cats and decats is going to recquire a lot of space. if i was to do it i would keep the normal cats in place and have the y section vent straight to the atmosphere right after the cats.

to give you an example

skipp to about 4 min to see it in action

If you want a really loud exhaust then you shouldn't have started with the Milltek really...

I have Berks HFC's on my Milltek and it is just right, absolutely no drone and nice and quiet when cruising on the motorway or round town, must a really nice bark and grumble when you push on a bit :cloud9:

Best thing is no worries about MOT's etc.

If you are anywhere near SE London then you are welcome to a listen :thumbs:

Any chance you could get a video of yours dave? as im in the midlands lol.

The car came with a milltek on and tbh it does sound lovely i just want it to be a bit louder sometimes which is why i wanted the switchableness.

Lexx i think it was yours that got me thinking about something like this.

If you tag along to the East Midlands meet on 5th March you can hear my Motordyne XYZ pipe and Japspeed De-cats. So in essence I'm only running one Cat and sounds superb in my book. Then there's the added bonus of the increase of performance :thumbs:

Any chance you could get a video of yours dave? as im in the midlands lol.

The car came with a milltek on and tbh it does sound lovely i just want it to be a bit louder sometimes which is why i wanted the switchableness.

Lexx i think it was yours that got me thinking about something like this.

Here is a short vid mate :thumbs:

Hard to tell but it is quite a bit deeper and louder than the stock Milltek, if you are after a fairly cheap and easy way for more noise then go for HFC's. Decats will make more noise but then you have MOT probs and probably more drone :surrender:

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=mov&file=IMG_0091.MOV

• 2 weeks later...

I know its not quite the same but I have the motordyne XYZ with the race cat/decat pipe (you can swap them over in about 10 mins on a ramp). The original cats have been replaced by resonator decats. With no cats at all I don't really like the noise, it's hard to explain but it has no class it's too much like some chav corsa with a 4" exhaust all blare and no real sound clarity. With the race cat fitted it sounds a lot better, it is quite a bit quieter but a nicer sound that really accentuates the V6 gargle. The other problem with no cats is the smell, its really horrible and if you had one of those bypasses under the car the smell would get straight into the car. For a roadster (thats what I have) it was hideous without a cat - the smell was the worst thing by far.

I know its not quite the same but I have the motordyne XYZ with the race cat/decat pipe (you can swap them over in about 10 mins on a ramp). The original cats have been replaced by resonator decats. With no cats at all I don't really like the noise, it's hard to explain but it has no class it's too much like some chav corsa with a 4" exhaust all blare and no real sound clarity. With the race cat fitted it sounds a lot better, it is quite a bit quieter but a nicer sound that really accentuates the V6 gargle. The other problem with no cats is the smell, its really horrible and if you had one of those bypasses under the car the smell would get straight into the car. For a roadster (thats what I have) it was hideous without a cat - the smell was the worst thing by far.

My car has no cats and it sounds awesome :shrug:

There is a vid posted somewhere.

I agree with the smell, mines smells like it's burning coal lol. It's running very rich just now but if you stand near the exhaust when idling your clothes smell as if you've been at a fireworks display. I love it though and once it's mapped in a couple of weeks and running a bit leaner then all should be good.

It depends what exhaust set up your using with the decats as to what sound. As to chavvy, I disagree, racey yes. I suppose it depends what you want the car for. Mines is now a track car and modified to suit what I want it to do.