Squeak

jamesyj

I've had a little squeaky noise coming from the rear of the beast for a month or so, I'd assumed it was the hatch moving slightly.

I'm only getting this noise when I'm giving the suspension a little workout etc.

Come home today, nice and warm (ish) so I had the windows down, and I heard, it's not the hatch, it sounds suspension related.

This was confirmed as I went over some speed bumps slowly and as the rear moved up, I got my squeak.

And it's really really loud, cringeworthly loud. Squeaking and not a nice squeak.

So I can have a word with my mechanic at work, what do you think the first thing I should point him towards?

Drop links? Bushes? Plus any associated costs (ZMANALEX?) would be great.

Thanks.

After doing some searching, I thought I'd go and test it's not anything squeaking in the boot.

Tailgate lifters are fine.

Tiny parcel shelf is fine.

When push on the centre of the 'Z', I get a small high pitched squeak but I really don't think that's the root of my problem.

I've settled that it's suspension related.

Just went and had a lie under the car.

I can move the drop links with my finger the thumb easily.

Nuts are tight. But the axial movement is very very easy.

Should I have lots of (if any?!?!) axial movement of the drop links?

I was yanking the crap out of everything, and the only thing with any movement is the drop links.

• 2 months later...

Minor thread resurrection.

:teeth: now fixed.

It wasn't anything in the boot. No trim, nothing moving.

And nothing to do with rear suspension (which is a relief).

It turns out boys and girls, that the exhaust heat shield (underside of boot) is a silly design.

On the driver side, the shield extends downwards, my my little Scorpion was resting against it.

So, the welds on the backbox edge, rubbed through the heat shield. 'Zorst essentially sat in this little hole which it had created itself, everytime you go over a bump, the backbox moves and jumps out of the hole, makes awful noise, and then slips back in to the hole, and makes an awful noise.

So, how did I fix it? I bent the ****er out of the way! No noise :cloud9:

I think, I've found and rectified a new noise, I've been googling like a maniac and no-one seems to have had this problem.

It turns out boys and girls, that the exhaust heat shield (underside of boot) is a silly design.

So, how did I fix it? I bent the ****er out of the way! No noise :cloud9:

Well done :thumbs:

My heat shield fell off after I replaced the exhaust

I've had 2 Scorpions on our car - 1 fitted like a glove (done by a proper garage) and the new one was rattling like a swine (gash repair center fitted) - turned out that they had fitted it with about 1ml clearance from the big cross-member thingy.

Didn't seem to be much room for maneuver so we just jubilee clamped up the hanging rubbers.

We've got a right clonk coming from the rear which I think is the ARB link but everyone seems to describe ARB link problems as a creak and not a clonk - going to have a go at a temp fix with some grease at the weekend before we go away.

This noise has been the bane of 350z ownership for me, but I'm back in love.

This sound only materialised over 60mph give or take, so for the last 3 months, I've not been over 55mph. And every time I went over 55, I regretted it. It makes a awful racket.

The past two weekends, I've been horizontal under the rear of the beast, WD40'ing every bush/joint etc. Got my sockets out, everything's tight (oo err), and the gaps between bushes are the same etc.

Just before I gave up WD40'ing for another day, whilst I was under the pax side of the car, I thought, I'll check that heat shield is not flapping around, *check, that's fine, move to driver side, *yep all fine, hang on... cue a good solid swear.

Went for a spin, and my smile was from ear to ear.

I've had 2 Scorpions on our car - 1 fitted like a glove (done by a proper garage) and the new one was rattling like a swine (gash repair center fitted) - turned out that they had fitted it with about 1ml clearance from the big cross-member thingy.

Didn't seem to be much room for maneuver so we just jubilee clamped up the hanging rubbers.

We've got a right clonk coming from the rear which I think is the ARB link but everyone seems to describe ARB link problems as a creak and not a clonk - going to have a go at a temp fix with some grease at the weekend before we go away.

Oh I changed those things a while ago, made sod all difference to my squeak/noise! In all fairness, they weren't the problem. The ones that came off were in the same condition as the ones that went on. But that's a job I won't have to do again.

I've done literally everything, as it sounded as it was in the boot. I've removed everything from the boot, reseated trim, made sure trim is seated properly, the 2p trick, faffing with strut covers, tightened spare wheel and tools etc, and I found little anomalies in all of these areas (350z ownership ey!!) but they didn't stop that ****ing noise! And it got me down somewhat.

At what speed/situations are you getting your noise? I got mine once I've been over 55, and if the car's really hot. Essentially every time the exhaust moved, I got my noise. It was gravitational if you know what I mean. When the car popped up over a bump, give it a second and the rear settles, I got the noise.

Not when I go round a bend - its more when driving over uneven ground (effectively when the car is shook from side to side).

Its deffo not the zorst - it was making the noise when we had the stock one on. Its prob drop links - need to get round to changing them in honesty. New tyres on Saturday first though! :yahoo:

Not when I go round a bend - its more when driving over uneven ground (effectively when the car is shook from side to side).

Its deffo not the zorst - it was making the noise when we had the stock one on. Its prob drop links - need to get round to changing them in honesty. New tyres on Saturday first though! :yahoo:

Well I'll cross my fingers for you that it's the ARB's :thumbs:

Although I've changed mine, I have no idea what noise they make when they're knackered!

• 2 months later...

did this work? i have the same squeak on mine. its driving me nuts!

My scorpion rumbles on something on the underside when I do a cold start. Going to have to look at that. Plus a squeak when turning and going over slow speed bumps - I can feel a grease and spanner session coming on! :ninja:

It would be great to know what makes a difference - i was going to strip the boot this weekend but seems no point.

Fixed it - it seems that the bit of plastic on the boot hatch (the lower bit that covers the wiper motor) was loose. I took it off and re fitted it and was done. Simples :clap::clap:

Alex replied, they shouldn't turn :blush:

New drop links it is!

Thanks for all your swift help guys :thumbs:

Hmm, wonder if that's my problem as well then; I've got a sound like she's got creaky hips when turning left up an incline for example - rather embarrassing! :blush: bring on the axle stands!

• 3 weeks later...

Another thread res...

I recently posted a similar experience: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51219 and this afternoon I had a look under the car. Now, I do have a Scorpion exhaust and noticed on the driver side, where the tail pipe comes out of the back box, there was a very corroded piece of metal, kind of angular in shape. I don't know if this is the same heat shield people are talking of.

I removed it and took the car for a drive but the squeaking is still happening.

I then went to the off-side ARB link and there was a lot of rotational "play" on it - yet both bolts were tight, too tight for me to loosen without possibly shearing the heads off. Should the drop link move like this?

Since I don't think I can test this without the nut breaking, I think I'll just have to buy a pair and try replacing them - how much would they be?

• 1 month later...
Another thread res...

I recently posted a similar experience: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51219 and this afternoon I had a look under the car. Now, I do have a Scorpion exhaust and noticed on the driver side, where the tail pipe comes out of the back box, there was a very corroded piece of metal, kind of angular in shape. I don't know if this is the same heat shield people are talking of.

I removed it and took the car for a drive but the squeaking is still happening.

I then went to the off-side ARB link and there was a lot of rotational "play" on it - yet both bolts were tight, too tight for me to loosen without possibly shearing the heads off. Should the drop link move like this?

Since I don't think I can test this without the nut breaking, I think I'll just have to buy a pair and try replacing them - how much would they be?

Mate, I feel your pain.

I replaced my ARB drop links, the ones that came off (at 50k miles ish) were as good as the new ones that went on.

I had axial movement, i.e. I could twist it pretty easily, but that's all, no other type of movement.

Mine were all nice and smooth with a little resistance (like they've got lube inside etc) rather than just moving axially like it was dry inside.

ZMANALEX did suggest to me to undo one side so they're disconnected and go for a little spin around the block, if there's no noise, then that'll be the problem. This is a sound piece of advice.

You could try some spray grease on some bushes at the rear to see if that might be it. I found which bush squeaked on the front of mine that way. Doing one 'set' at a time for example, little drive, still squeak, spray other bushes etc.

If you need, I can take a pic of the bit of metal that was causing me headaches?