Maserati Gran Tourismo.... Thoughts?

Zedrush

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cloud9:

I've been looking at the 4200 & the Gransport but am a bit put off by the unreliability stories

having owned and maintained and repaired and driven for more than 20k miles a 4200gt spyder manual 02 reg in british racing green with cream leather all the possible boxes ticked and 18k miles when i got it. :

the buying and servicing experience was immaculate. a driver would come from leeds to hull, drop a 320d mpack off and pick the maser up. then drop it back off a few days later.

however it was at jct 600 leeds every second week for various reasons. 9k (i think it was 9k) service was 1300 quid for spark plugs, oil, filters and general check. then the annual at 400 quid where all they did was clean the brakes. and then a clutch at 2.5k quid. also for the record a rear drive shaft was over a grand!!! plus labour

tyres are 400 quid a corner for the rear ones (ps change the pirellis asap and put pilot sports on!!!)

more body flex than a mattress and a corsa on aftermarket coilovers could overtake me on a roundabout.

creaky cabin and a fair bit of wind buffeting.

oh and it rusts!

10mpg round town, 18-20 on the motorway at 80-90mph

skyhook suspension useless and TCS worse than the Zed's

very average brakes.

and i could go on and on.

the grandsport is better but only just. the coupe is a different car as it handles sweetly and there isnt much body roll. but thats as far as it goes. the interior in the 04 on models is much nicer but the fit and finish still average

then you start the engine and you forget it all!!

sounds amazing, straight line pace up up there with the best and the engine is simply a gem. (it has got chains not cambelts and and its a dry sump or whatever its called)...oh and the engine is very very robust too!

add that its one of the best chick traps and head turners ever and you ve got the perfect poser's car haha

if you buy one you will love it. but be very careful which one you buy and drive it with love or it will wreck your bank accounts (they are cheap as chips to buy for a reason)!!

and drive with respect. you can not drift it!!! especially in the wet it bites back suddenly and big time...i wrote it off in the end ;)

as for the granturismo i would have one any day. 1-2 years old. not brand new and not with the old automatic box...it goes through clutches every 9-10k miles and is very jerky. and then sell it before the warantee expires.

If I go down the Maser route, I might tap you for some info ;)

It's an epic car. Build quality and reliability has been greatly improved in all aspects over the previous 3200/4200 and gransport. Both 4.2 in GT and 4.7 in GTS are made by Ferrari for Maserati, where 4.7 is practically a rebored 4.2. I've been looking at 4.2 with my friend, we had a long test drive and chat will Sytner Maranello in Egham, Surrey. Don't know about GTS, but GT has service interval either 2 years or 7500miles. As to running costs I can't really answer that but know quite a few extremely happy owners who used to have porches, astons, mercs etc and they all say this is the most fantastic ride they've had so far. Being an Italian car it will depreciate quicker than a 911, especially given lots or horror stories involving previous maserati coupes, but im positive you'll get more satisfaction too. The only thing which is a must in this car is full service history (which it would have cause you wouldn't want to buy something like that privately now, would you?) and what maserati calls skyhook suspension. Other than that i'd swap my kidney on the black market for a black GTS with red leather.

And guys, please remember - GranTurismo is a COMPLETELY different car to the previous models and as far as my knowledge and research goes it doesn't share any of the same catastrophic issues.

aus