Pothole Damage - Advice please

Swooper

Guys,

Couldn't avoid a farkin great pothole today and damaged two N/S wheels, (fortunately not driving the Zed, just a VW).

Geometry etc checked and all OK, but 2 wheels will need replacing.

Has anyone had any experience of trying to claim from the council to cover repair costs?

I have photographed offending pothole and still have the damaged wheels. This occurred in Kent

Will it be a huge fight or should I put it down to experience?

Thanks in advance

I remember watching an episode on 5th gear about how you deal with this. Advice was to take photos including details of the pot hole size, size does make a difference in this case :D , list any witnesses and the damage and write to the council. They should pay out, and if not cause a fuss. It's disgusting the state of some of the roads near me, number of times I've had to dodge gaping holes is crazy. Good luck sorting this out.

As far as I remember you need a date/time stamp on the photo of the pothole. The council will argue that only potholes marked with white spay have been reported and they are the only ones they will pay out on. Ignore that and push forward with the claim. You will win.

I remember watching an episode on 5th gear about how you deal with this. Advice was to take photos including details of the pot hole size, size does make a difference in this case :D , list any witnesses and the damage and write to the council. They should pay out, and if not cause a fuss. It's disgusting the state of some of the roads near me, number of times I've had to dodge gaping holes is crazy. Good luck sorting this out.

Yeah I remember seeing this as well, think it needs to be 40mm deep or more for them to pay out. Also if you take pictures of the hole stick a ruler in there to prove its depth.

Also checkout - http://www.potholes.co.uk/claims/how_to_claim

might be worth a peek!

All the best with this, I have also suffered with damage from pot holes as well but I didnt know until I got home (which was about 150 miles from the bleeding thing)

Persistence is the key u will have to write a lot of letters/emails. Iv also heard they won't pay out unless u can prove they knew about the particular pot hole and nothing was done about it

Sorry to say but LRF4N correct here and the council WILL claim that it's an unreported pothole!

Keep on at them u will win.....eventually! :rant:

Persistence is the key u will have to write a lot of letters/emails. Iv also heard they won't pay out unless u can prove they knew about the particular pot hole and nothing was done about it

Sorry to say but LRF4N correct here and the council WILL claim that it's an unreported pothole!

Keep on at them u will win.....eventually! :rant:

So are you saying that if a pothole has been marked out, you hit it and ruin a tyre then you have a claim?