Boiler advice needed

Wasso

Evening all,

I need some advice from anyone in the plumbing trade. Basically my boiler has issues and no longer heats the water as it should. The boiler is 16 years old so I guess it's time for a replacement. I've been quoted £2,400 :scare:

The boiler is located in the centre of a maisonette, which has a vertical flue. I would have thoughts a simple job of just replacing the boiler, although I've been informed it's not as simple as that.

So, I need some advice on what my options are and what I should be expected to pay?

:thumbs: cheers

well unless your on benefits or something like that you can forget any grants and if using any of the big companys like British Gas, Npower and the rest they will only charge extorsionate prices to fit a boiler. Your going to need a new boiler I would guess as anything 16 years old will be condemed do you know if you have a combination boiler or a conventional in other words do you store hot water in a cylinder tank or when you turn your hot tap on does the boiler ignite to heat the water?

I'm a gas engineer, but commercial. What did your boiler fail on? Do you have a service report sheet. I'm guessing your last boiler wasn't a combi? You'll get a top spec condensing boiler for 1200 quid. A bit of pipework alteration needed and fitting of new boiler. A local company will charge around 500-1000 to fit and steal your old copper calorifier. You may be able to negotiate with smaller companies.

My boiler in my house is around 20 years old and still going strong

Must be the time of year! Our gas warm air central heating boiler is makign some aweful noises at the moment, so have the engineer coming on Friday to take a look at it.

We had a quote last year for a replacement boiler (only does the heating) with fitting etc, which came to £2,463, and that was after a £847 discount.

Looks like I should of got off my a*se and got it replaced last year, rather now having to pay for an engineer to patch up the 40 year old existing one as well as paying for a replacement :blackeye:

The boiler is a combi, so I don't have a separate tank. It hasn't been given a failed test report as it is still working (just)!!

It's heating the water for heating although not providing enough heat for tap water. So it sounds like the thermostat in the boiler. I've got someone coming round on Thursday so we shall see what he has to say. Although I've been advised the cost will be higher as it has a vertical flue, which exits on the roof rather than on an external wall. If work is required on the flue it will require scaffolding which bumps the price. Although we are thinking a straight boiler swap is the answer, which is why I thought a forum post might have provided me with a little more clarity?

Ok you have a combi, you will not be able to replace the old boiler only for the new type condensing boiler with condensing boilers the flue is totaly different plus also as the name implies 'a condensing boiler' condensed water forms in the flue runs back into the boiler which has a drain off this needs to be plumbed into the nearest waste pipe to the boiler or it can be pumped away by a condense pump to a drain or waste pipe.

Have a look on here. http://www.condensingboiler.org.uk/

Thanks Ace. So I guess all new boilers are condensing, is that right? I rent the maisonette out so I'm not fussed about super efficiency, just a simple cheap'ish solution?

I could do without spending a fortune, especially £2k, where I was thinking of getting a solution for no more than £1k?

:snack:

Ok you have a combi, you will not be able to replace the old boiler only for the new type condensing boiler with condensing boilers the flue is totaly different plus also as the name implies 'a condensing boiler' condensed water forms in the flue runs back into the boiler which has a drain off this needs to be plumbed into the nearest waste pipe to the boiler or it can be pumped away by a condense pump to a drain or waste pipe.

Have a look on here. http://www.condensingboiler.org.uk/

That's a helpful link Ace, as my PrimaF is coming up for its 18th birthday although I have been told it should have a few years life in it yet :thumbs:

The condense is actually formed in the secondary heat exchanger. You will have minimal in the flue.

The warm combustion products which would normally go up the "chimney" pass through a secondary heat exchanger which then remove latent heat from the combustion gases when then reduces it's ability to hold moisture(causing condense to form) The flue temperature in a condensing boiler is a lot cooler than that of a conventional boiler, this is why condensing boiler are much more efficient(as the don't allow most of the heat energy to escape up the chimney)

The problem with a cooler flue is that you lose the "flue pull" as when the combustion gas cools more it loses velocity due to the difference in external temperature to combustion gas temp being smaller than that of a conventional boiler. This is overcome by introducing a fan flued appliance. With every boiler there is a recommended flue height.

The most popular boilers are that of the type with flues going out the side wall but by the sounds of what your saying you won't need a new boiler, just a thermostat.

I dont think the price sounds too bad, do you know the size (Kw rateing) and make of boiler they intend to fit? there are so many different makes and models out there, that you prob could reduce the quote by a fair bit. i only recomend two boilers when doing an install as i have never had any problems with them in the past. remember buy cheap buy twice.

i would also say if the boilers 16yrs old they may have to up size the gas pipe feeding the boiler and any other appliences in the house, as well as changing TRV's ect.

i wouldnt worry too much about the condence too much as its been said before there a pumps to help get rid of that.

We've literally just replaced the one in our buy to let for £1900 by a friend of a friend.

That was ripping out a backboiler, fire, old tanks and fitting a new Baxi -combiboiler.....didnt replace the rad valves though (which in hindsight I think is a government requirement now :scare: ). Depending on what make boiler they are fitting that doesn't sound a bad price.........Grittish Bas would probably want 3.5k.

For 1k..........maybe use Mrcentralheating (cheapest place I could find) for a budget unit find a 'competent' friend who will do it for nothing (otherwise its illegal) then get a Gas Safe reg engineer to commission it.

Are the tenants on any benefits? Depending on what they claim they could apply for a warm front grant.

I dont think the price sounds too bad, do you know the size (Kw rateing) and make of boiler they intend to fit? there are so many different makes and models out there, that you prob could reduce the quote by a fair bit. i only recomend two boilers when doing an install as i have never had any problems with them in the past. remember buy cheap buy twice.

i would also say if the boilers 16yrs old they may have to up size the gas pipe feeding the boiler and any other appliences in the house, as well as changing TRV's ect.

i wouldnt worry too much about the condence too much as its been said before there a pumps to help get rid of that.

I recommend using Worcester Bosch usually. There are so many different makes, models and variations. It's all down to the design budget.

As for gas pressure, due to the new boiler being more efficient you may be able to keep the original gas line as the gas rate and pressure drop from the meter should be adequate.

We use valiant in our commercial sites and I must agree they are really good. I get a good deal on the Worcester boilers from a supplier so I make a little more most from them. Vokera are also pretty good. With regards to servicing all these boiler run very efficiently and are all similar priced

We had to change ours last March due to keep having to have it fixed.House is only 6 years old and had a Glow worm combi fitted,we had nothing but trouble with it from day we moved in.Decided we had had enough and swapped it for a Worcester bosch and have to say it runs a lot better and more efficient than our previous one.

Price was £1,350 to remove and supply and fit the new one.

i did a private job last year where i had to rip out a back boiler and fit a new combi in the airing cupboard upstairs so a bit of pipework and the boiler and all new rads and i charged 2800 for it, and made a tidy few hundred for myself so it sounds like hes trying to make quite a bit out of it, unless theres quite a bit to repair the roof where the existing flue goes.

i recommend worcester bosch aswell excellent boilers :thumbs:

We had to change ours last March due to keep having to have it fixed.House is only 6 years old and had a Glow worm combi fitted,we had nothing but trouble with it from day we moved in.Decided we had had enough and swapped it for a Worcester bosch and have to say it runs a lot better and more efficient than our previous one.

Price was £1,350 to remove and supply and fit the new one.

That is a top class price :thumbs: depending on the size of boiler the guy never made that much. Must have been doing you a very very good deal

Thanks all for your comments, it's giving me a load more information, I shall report back a quote tomorrow.

I was recommended to go with the Baxi range boiler - so we shall see what this chap comes up with.

I bought a baxi 120 e i think and 6 rads 60m s of 15mm copper and 30m of 22mm copper for 1150 and me and 2 gas engineers fitted it in s day I paid them 750 so had my central heating fitted for £1900 which is under half the price of all quotes. Try mrcentralheating.co.uk for replacement and get a quote for replacement only :thumbs: