Breaking the trend, 350z great in snow!

sidekickdmr

Had to do a journey back from Leamington Spa to Milton Keynes yesterday, both places had a good 10 inch of snow and no sign of gritters having been.

I was taking it carefull and a lot slower than normall but the 350Z was great, my last car (a megane R26) would have not even got out the hotel carpark let alone home (fwd with LSD and 235 tyres) but my z didnt even get remotely stuck once.

Shame the same couldnt be said for a few 3 series bmw's I saw at a standstill.

That is all!

Had to do a journey back from Leamington Spa to Milton Keynes yesterday, both places had a good 10 inch of snow and no sign of gritters having been.

I was taking it carefull and a lot slower than normall but the 350Z was great, my last car (a megane R26) would have not even got out the hotel carpark let alone home (fwd with LSD and 235 tyres) but my z didnt even get remotely stuck once.

That is all!

I'll be doing the exact same journey tomorrow, just need to decide whether to go the A roads "fun" way or the boring M40 way. With winter tyres on you really have to provoke the car to get it to misbehave at all, very impressive stuff.

both places had a good 10 inch of snow and no sign of gritters having been.

Yes, Once the snow gets to a certain depth then grip levels increase. This is because in say an inch or two of snow the wheels compact the snow down right to the road and ice forms underneath the wheels. In deep snow the wheels will not compress it right the way down, it gives the tread a chance to bite, that's why you see tread marks in deep snow....

Pete

That is all!

I'll be doing the exact same journey tomorrow, just need to decide whether to go the A roads "fun" way or the boring M40 way. With winter tyres on you really have to provoke the car to get it to misbehave at all, very impressive stuff.

watch the weather report, if its going to be clear take the back roads, if its going to be crap take the m40. may have snow tyres, but it doesn t make the zed invincible ;):lol:

I drove the zed throughout the winter weather in January & february this year because I had to - never had any problems and also took great pleasure in sailing up hills past BMWs :lol:

This time though I was prepared ready with shed and four new tyres so the zeds parked up :thumbs:

Havent taken the Z out in the snow. The Altea has been great, the Jaguar has been absolutely awful. It has a snow mode, but being auto with low profile wide tyres its going to struggle to be fair.

Touch wood though here in Chesterfield we seem to be surrounded by places of the country that have plenty of snow, but we have barely any at all.

My Seat Leon is the dogs danglies in the snow, never got stuck and never given me any :drive1 moments, apart from the traction control coming on every now and again thats it. All how you drive though, it has a huge turbo and if I drove it 'normally' I would be in a ditch somewhere, but nice and smooth and its great :thumbs:

Im sure the Zed wouldn't be as good but would be useable, but I don't need to risk it so I won't. Had it booked in for an upRev tomorrow but thats gonna have to wait till the new year now... and I am driving the missus to work and picking her up everyday just so I can use the Leon for my commute :thumbs:

From my experience with 3 harsh swedish winters with the Z and good snow tyres, I can say that the Z is more than usable on snow. That is as long as you show it the proper respect. Somewhat narrower tyres in the back eg. 225 help a little bit more. Just dont forget to have the ESP always on of course!! On the other hand I wouldn't even dare using it on regular summer tyres on snowy/icy conditions...Even on a 1/2 inch fresh snow it gets extremely slippery and frightening! :scare:

So get snow tyres and just follow the traffic, you will not have any problems! No snow tyres ...better lock it up!!

With all the reports of how bad the 350z is in the snow, I've been using the Mrs's S-Max.

But this week she's needed it so I braved the ice rink roads round my way.......

Not as bad as I was expecting. I could slip, slide & wheel spin but only if I provoked the zed. Mind you I was driving with as much care & attention that's humanly possible.

One thing we need to remember is not to get complacent.

Cheers,

Geo

P.S. Managed a 180 hand brake turn in the S-Max (empty snow covered private car park) at about 5 MPH. Was such a giggle.

My Zed has been getting me where I need to be in the worst of the weather.. including driving to and from work on nightshifts with fresh snow / ice.

As long as you dont stamp on the go pedal is largely fine IMO - and I live in Northumberland.. snow can be pretty bad up here.