Squealing Belts

ug45cwb

Since I had them changed my belts squeal when its really cold at low revs. Since its really cold all the time they have been squealing a lot. I know its because they haven't been tensioned enough. Is this something I can do myself or is it a back to the garage job?

Cheers

From your OP - I take it they've only just been fitted then? How come you're so sure they weren't tight enough in first place?

There is a guide on how to tighten - but I'd be wary of over tightening!

Try some spray lube in the first instance and see if that eases it until the cold snap stops.

From your OP - I take it they've only just been fitted then? How come you're so sure they weren't tight enough in first place?

Try some spray lube in the first instance and see if that eases it until the cold snap stops.

no no no no. sorry but, dont use any lube on the belts :surrender: lubing belts just makes them slip, slipping belts mean things aren't being spun that should be, bad times! better to fix the problem that cover it up.

no no no no. sorry but, dont use any lube on the belts :surrender: lubing belts just makes them slip, slipping belts mean things aren't being spun that should be, bad times! better to fix the problem that cover it up.

Oh well- I'm just going on what Alex did for me - of course he won'y have a scooby will he?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bangin::lol:

Surely - once they're tightened - and as tightened as a technician is prepared to go- then it fine applied sparingly - for cold weather conditions?

Well its about eight months since I had new belts put on and after being tightened twice they still squealed a wee bit on start up - they had a light application of some sort of lube (dunno what didn't examine the tin) - and they haven't squealed since - nor have they slipped in the 12k miles and six track days since :thumbs:

Aerosol Solutions make a specific spray for all types of belts. ;)

It is called "Belt Dressing" and stops slip instantly. :thumbs:

In stock and good to go next day :lol::lol::lol: Only joking as I only stock it for inhouse use only.

Alex. :)

cool, i assume its sticky or some such? not that i suggest you spray it on youself to find out... maybe the cat...

In stock and good to go next day

had me on that one for a second :lol: :lol:

Thanks Alex. I take it these aren't a serviceable item and it's just an item to replace when/if you need it?

Correct, just when you need them, however, best not to wait until they snap.

When small cracks appear on the inside of the belts or if the inside face gets very polished then that is the time to change, also if you have the belts off for whatever reason, then best to just fit new ones when you are at it. :thumbs:

Alex. :)