Do I risk it ? :/

cerealuk

My work place is getting so desperate that they are sending 4X4 to pick us up..f**king pathetic :wacko::rant::bang::bang:

I am going to make sure they drop me off tomorrow when i finish work..otherwise i will refuse to go in.

Well of course, they cant get you into work and then tell you to make your own way home :bangin: Nothing wrong with saying they will come and pick you up (just make sure its on their time) but they have to get you back again!

Chris..have u seen my profile..i am a NHS slave..it's the NHS we are talking about..they overwork and underpay u..that's what they are good at. Spoke to Human Resources in Derby hospital and i ask them..how do i get back tomorrow then? The reply was..we haven't thought as far as that. :rant::angry::bang:

And i have waited for 5 hours for this 4X4..still no sign of it..and the weather is getting worse by the hours... :dry:

My work place is getting so desperate that they are sending 4X4 to pick us up..f**king pathetic :wacko::rant::bang::bang:

I am going to make sure they drop me off tomorrow when i finish work..otherwise i will refuse to go in.

Well of course, they cant get you into work and then tell you to make your own way home :bangin: Nothing wrong with saying they will come and pick you up (just make sure its on their time) but they have to get you back again!

Chris..have u seen my profile..i am a NHS slave..it's the NHS we are talking about..they overwork and underpay u..that's what they are good at. Spoke to Human Resources in Derby hospital and i ask them..how do i get back tomorrow then? The reply was..we haven't thought as far as that. :rant::angry::bang:

And i have waited for 5 hours for this 4X4..still no sign of it..and the weather is getting worse by the hours... :dry:

Not meaning to start an argument, but everytime i've ever been to hospital there seems to be 4x the staff they really need to do one job, and also.. ;) every time I've seen an NHS job advertised its way above the average pay for the same role outside the NHS :lol::lol: Might just be Yorkshire though..

CMR..u are talking about nurses :shutup::secret: I am not a nurse by the way...there is never enough of us considering the hours we work. there will always be a shortage of doctors despite EWTD(European Working Time Directive). And we get paid peanuts in NHS considering the hours we put in and our responsibilities. With regard to some jobs going for higher pay than outside NHS, i very much doubt so. Locum(ie out-of-hour ad hoc) jobs do get paid a bit more because they need to find someone to fill in the gap such as sick leave, maternity leave etc.

And that 4X4 never did turn up :lol:

There are not enough nurses either.My Mrs is a sister on A+E and is always getting phone calls on her day off asking if she wants to work.

As for fair pay that's utter crap for what they do.I get paid more for filling tins with soup,while they are saving lives.

Rant over. :blush:

No, in terms of 4x staff was more meaning the clerical staff.

As for pay, well my current job in IT and also similar IT roles seem to be 6-8k more than the average. Could just be NHS IT though.

Now..u are right about that one. I agree...far too many admin, HR, IT people than we need to run a hospital/trust. The IT people keep coming up with new programmeS for everything which complicates the work of doctors and nurses. What's wrong with filling in normal investigation request form by hand(the old fashion way) rather than computer :wacko: Imagine how much more money the trust has if they employ a lot less of them and cut down on the CEO(who hasn't got a clue about medical stuffs)'s wages. Rant over :angry::rant:

Just looking out at the snow outside my window and its building up nicely. Not sure whether to risk the drive to work or not. I have to be in work for 8am and usually leave about 7:30 to get there in plenty of time.

Never driven the zed in snow before (in fact never driven it in winter as only got it last Feb). Problem I have is my work expect me to be in no matter what it takes (trainee air traffic controller) so dunno what to do :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Im considering leaving at like 6:30 in the hope that the roads are quiet so I can plod along slowly.. only other alternative is walk.. 8 miles

Or try and persuade my dad to let me use his shed..

Is it really that bad driving a zed in the snow ? :/

Are there any BMWs on the roads around you?? The way i see it if BMW drivers are able to get around than the Z is probably fine (assuming BMW drivers are N****S most of whoem probably don't even know they are driving RWD cars and naturally been a Z driver my skills are much better :lol: )

I've used my Z every day for work in the last 3 years, only got stuck once on a hill which even a range rover couldn't get up. The main roads are usually fine, and on the small roads you just have to be sensible. Apparently loads of schools were closed around my area but there really wasn't that much snow at all, i think the media is doing a grand job of scarring every one :surrender:

I think your right, thr media do their fair share of scare-mongering. At the end of the day, your car and more importantly your life, count for more than your job. Half the time you brave it wanting to look like the model employee only for other people to have not bothrered or you get sent home a couple of hours later so really -your efforts are wasted and the gratitude you get, won't last after Christmas. :thumbdown:

Perhaps I am too honest, or drugged up on meds, but thats just how I feel.

Sorry for hijacking your thread cerealuk :blush: We have sidetracked a wee bit

Hehe its ok, my cars been going sideways constantly the last couple of days.. so seems right that my topic should too :p

Was actually worse driving in today, Took me like 15mins to get 100m up the road. It's not not on a hill or anything but wheel spin galore :( Found that turning ESP off and sort of snaking sideways helps! Once on the main roads though it wasn't too bad until I had to turn corners :wacko:

Unfortunately not going into work is not an option for me, even if I have to walk the 8+ miles so I've just been taking it easy and leaving loads of space.

The driver side door is frozen shut so I currently have to climb in through the passenger door, hope that doesnt freeze up too :( My poor seats are covered in snow from climbing over :(

Hehe its ok, my cars been going sideways constantly the last couple of days.. so seems right that my topic should too :p

Was actually worse driving in today, Took me like 15mins to get 100m up the road. It's not not on a hill or anything but wheel spin galore :( Found that turning ESP off and sort of snaking sideways helps! Once on the main roads though it wasn't too bad until I had to turn corners :wacko:

Unfortunately not going into work is not an option for me, even if I have to walk the 8+ miles so I've just been taking it easy and leaving loads of space.

The driver side door is frozen shut so I currently have to climb in through the passenger door, hope that doesnt freeze up too :( My poor seats are covered in snow from climbing over :(

i've been bombing around int the snow without to many issues. key tricks (sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs)

1. pull away in 2nd or third gear

2. only use enough throttle not to stall

3. don't use the brake

4. slow down with the gears

5. leave enough of a gap so that you can slow down just by dipping the clutch

6. time entry on to juctions so that you don't have to stop

7. set your speed before a corner any kind of braking or accelerating will end badly

8. if your spinning the wheels your only making it worse. if stuck use the clutch to rock the car out.

9. if neccessary get out and clear snow from behind or in front of the rear tyres.

10. if attempting a hill make sure you don't have to stop half way, have a runn up and keep the momentum going.

11. if your slidding opposite lock and try and balance it and the power out.

sure there is more but can;t think off the top of my head.

i've been bombing around int the snow without to many issues. key tricks (sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs)

1. pull away in 2nd or third gear

2. only use enough throttle not to stall

3. don't use the brake

4. slow down with the gears

5. leave enough of a gap so that you can slow down just by dipping the clutch

6. time entry on to juctions so that you don't have to stop

7. set your speed before a corner any kind of braking or accelerating will end badly

8. if your spinning the wheels your only making it worse. if stuck use the clutch to rock the car out.

9. if neccessary get out and clear snow from behind or in front of the rear tyres.

10. if attempting a hill make sure you don't have to stop half way, have a runn up and keep the momentum going.

11. if your slidding opposite lock and try and balance it and the power out.

sure there is more but can;t think off the top of my head.

Aye been doing most of these, however none seem to apply on the stretch of road from my house to the main road where it is pretty much just a sheet of ice :scare::scare::scare:

I did find lots of swearing helps though!

There is some good avice here:

http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/w ... niques.htm

From my "off-road" days I find that if you do get in a slide and balancing the motion in first gear on the clutch without stalling isn't helping, don't use the foot brake but use the handbrake, on and off quickly cadance style. Using the footbrake is only likely to increase the slide speed and all the ABS wil be doing is making a lot of noise. Whilst the ZEDs ABS will theoretically allow you to steer I have found that to keep to a preffered direction appropriate levels of handbrake leverage will also help to 'steer' the rear end, which you will not be able to do with the footbrake on.

All of this is only recommended at low speeds though as if the conditions are that bad and you are going too fast there's no helping you :shrug: