Space saver in snow

ug45cwb

funny enough i have already been asking round about haviong two spacesavers in the back for the back axle instead of a shovel, even looked into studding them.

the summary is:

if you put studs in the tyres they will

-be useless for the dry road

-make very little difference for snow

-need to reach an ice layer to be effective

you need big tread winter tyres for snow

I have already checked and the space saver size is 145 80 r17. you cant get winter tyres that size, you cant even get snow racing tyres that size. the issue is that skinny snow tyres are normally fitted to 16" and below not 17.

would you really bother stripping the back axle of wheels in the snow and cold to get out of a stuck bit only to have to jack the car back up and put the normal ones back on to go back on the road?

Even without studs, using two spacesavers would be better than the standard wheels/tyres in snow and ice as there is more chance of cutting through the ice when the wheels do spin and finding grip. But as Chris suggests, do you really want the chore of swopping wheels when the snow and ice comes and goes?

Yes winter tyres are the most practical solution if you really have to use the ZED 12 months a year and snow and ice is about - but also fill up the boot with bags of rock salt to help provide some weight over the rear wheels and for use when you really do bog down and no one about to give you a push ;)

Yes winter tyres are the most practical solution if you really have to use the ZED 12 months a year and snow and ice is about - but also fill up the boot with bags of rock salt to help provide some weight over the rear wheels and for use when you really do bog down and no one about to give you a push ;)

7AT gearbox FTW - drop it in drive, jump out car, it drives, you push - who needs help :lol::lol::lol:

chris, you seen the video fo the guy who used that idea to try and get through a garage door? :lol: im sure someone will link the youtube clip.

i have thoguht about this lots, how much chance do my 295's have of gripping in the snow :surrender: i say nill. i'm going for the bags of sand option myself. need to find out the maximum loading weight over the back axle :lol:

chris, you seen the video fo the guy who used that idea to try and get through a garage door? :lol: im sure someone will link the youtube clip.

i have thoguht about this lots, how much chance do my 295's have of gripping in the snow :surrender: i say nill. i'm going for the bags of sand option myself. need to find out the maximum loading weight over the back axle :lol:

this one?

Don't forget that the space saver must always be fitted to the front axle, even if that means putting a front wheel on the rear. :)

Thought the space saver went on the rear - doesnt clear the front Brembos?

Got me thinking now - is that why the "bolt" is fitted to the front hubs to stop the spacesaver being used there, as you fit the rear OEM wheels on the front with the bolt in place.

2006 hand book warning notes about the spare and no other warnings I can see about not using on the front/rear axles :shrug: :

The T-type spare tire should be used

for emergency use only. It should be

replaced by the standard tire at the

first opportunity.

Drive carefully while the T-type spare

tire is installed.Avoid sharp turns and abrupt braking

while driving.

Periodically check the T-type spare

tire inflation pressure, and always

keep it at 60 psi (420 kPa, 4.2 bar).

Do not drive your vehicle at speeds

faster than 50 MPH (80 km/h).

Do not use tire chains on a T-type

spare tire. Tire chains will not fit

properly on the T-type spare tire and

may cause damage to the vehicle.

Tire tread of the T-type spare tire will

wear at a faster rate than the standard

tire. Replace the T-type spare

tire as soon as the tread wear indicators

appear.

Because the T-type spare tire is

smaller than the original tire, ground

clearance is reduced. To avoid damage

to the vehicle, do not drive over

obstacles. Also, do not drive the vehicle

through an automatic car wash

since it may get caught.

Do not use the T-type spare tire on

other vehicles.

Do not use more than one T-type

spare tire at the same time.

Do not tow a trailer while the T-type

spare tire is installed.

Which means my idea of using 2 spacesavers is out :doh::lol:

You always want more grip on the driven wheels, and as such you'd put it on the fronts. The exception to this is with FWD cars where it would go on the rear, and 4WD cars where it doesn't really matter but it should go on the rear. :)

Got me thinking now - is that why the "bolt" is fitted to the front hubs to stop the spacesaver being used there, as you fit the rear OEM wheels on the front with the bolt in place.

You can't fit the rear OEM wheels on the front, I found this out when going to fit my winter tyres and I wondered why I couldn't get the front wheel on - I had a front tyre on a rear wheel.

You always want more grip on the driven wheels, and as such you'd put it on the fronts. The exception to this is with FWD cars where it would go on the rear, and 4WD cars where it doesn't really matter but it should go on the rear. :)

Go see if it will fit over the front Brembo's then ;)