I hate the winter!

phoenix

I was out driving early this morning and being very careful due to the icy winter roads and yet i still lost control a couple of times, this happened a few times to me last winter and i'm just not sure if want my 350 any more. Does this happen easier than other cars because of the back end being lighter than the front? I wonder if the 370z will have the same problem? What do i need to do buy a 4x4 or are there other coupe's that don't suffer as much? What about the TT quatro for example?

sounds like one of a few things;

A) pushing to hard at the wrong point in corners

B ) tyres are bad/cheap make or are worn

C) tyres are the wrong size

D) traction control isn't on

if you have the traction control on i honestly don't see how you can loose it if you drive sensibly on an icy morning. Its a powerful RWD sports car, it will get tail happy that is the nature of the beast. If it doesnt seem the thing for you then 4wd or Fwd is probably the way to go. depending on your tastes you have options like

celica Gt4

mitsibishi GTO

Audi TT

Evo/Scooby

all are 4wd.

You'll find any reasonably powerful rear-wheel drive car with wide tyres will do the same.

If this sort of thing bothers you, then maybe it's not for you. But before making any drastic decisions, you could try buying some winter tyres or try lowering your tyre pressures a little.

You just have to be smooth with steering and throttle inputs on slippery days.

My four tyres are only 6 months old, and i live away from the city using a lot of country roads. Had my car for nearly three years now and even though i expect icy roads for the next few months it might be time for a change. I always drive slow this time of the year infact this morning i was was only doing about 20 mph at two seperate corners when loss of control happened.

You just have to be smooth with steering and throttle inputs on slippery days.

+1 :thumbs:

Last winter Vik and i included a trip to her olds down in Northhamptonshire, only one or two sticky points - getting her moving from the ungritted car park at a services, and getting up the hill on the outlaws street(again ungritted), otherwise a fairly good run.

I've also noticed this morning the Falkens don't perform as well as the RE50's (Lost but not forgoten!)

I was slipping around like nobody's business, this is on normal roads in and around town. Although I must add the car is setup differently to last winter, so I need to tone down my driving during the icy periods. But I have to say the Falkens aren't that great in the wet/ice. (for me anyway).

Original RE40s are awful in cold weather...the compound is far too hard at low temperatures.

I replaced mine this summer with Falken 452s which were getting good reviews from OC members at the time. Now it seems people are struggling with them too, I'll see how I get on this year!! :wacko:

Never seem to hear any complaints from people running MPSs or Vredsteins!! :lol:

Never seem to hear any complaints from people running MPSs or Vredsteins!! :lol:

Probably due to the price of replacing a full set of 4 boots in one go, easy option is to take the cheaper alternative. Husky has the Vred's - sure he'll comment.

I wanted the MPS but I was looking at £800 (good price) for a set of 4. Whereas, the Falkens cost half that price. To be honest I think I may try the Vred's unless I feel flush and go for the MPS?

Probably due to the price of replacing a full set of 4 boots in one go, easy option is to take the cheaper alternative. Husky has the Vred's - sure he'll comment.

I wanted the MPS but I was looking at £800 (good price) for a set of 4. Whereas, the Falkens cost half that price. To be honest I think I may try the Vred's unless I feel flush and go for the MPS?

I think I'll stretch to Vreds next time...I'm not as impressed with the Falkens as I thought I would be from people's reviews of them at the time. :headhurt:

Just drive steady...

No performance cars are that good in the winter imo.

I had a 4wd scooby STI and I reckon that was worse than the Zed .... Might sound daft but I pull off in 2nd gear when its bad weather, theres enough torque to pull it and your not spinning the rears. Also be gentle with tyre gel and similar products as if you get that stuff near the tread then you will be skating off the road.

Be careful

I think the value of the Falkens is for sure a winner and to be fair isn't far wrong from the more expensive brands. There's a lot worse for your money I'm sure.

Then again tyre prefference is normally goverened by the driver.... I have a fluid right foot and as such feel the Falkens don't perform to my requirements. I also didn't like them on the ring, not the greatest amount of grip I have to say, which actually lowered my confidence with them.

I'm hoping to wear out my Falkens by April to test some Vred's or MPS? But then I need new wheels before then - so I guess the price is going to be a little painful!

This entire thread reminds me exactly why I never scrimp on tyres. They're the only thing keeping you in contact with the road, after all.

452 are sh*t

T1R are sh*t

VUS are good

PS2 are amazing

RE050A are amazing

Depends on how much you want to end up in a ditch, really. That said, even the greatest of tyres or 4WD won't make up for ham-fisted control of a car in bad conditions. If it's that slippy, then just don't drive!

genuinely no problem so far in rain, flood, ice etc. been very good. before them i had a mix of re040's and nankangs, bothe were absolutely awful when it got cold or wet, really ruined the car.

EDIT: but next time i will be buying MPS2's

I tried re050's also and didnt get on with them, although later found out i had been supplied runflats which would account for the odd feel, hence me not really mentioning them as its not a fair review.

This entire thread reminds me exactly why I never scrimp on tyres. They're the only thing keeping you in contact with the road, after all.

452 are sh*t

T1R are sh*t

VUS are good

PS2 are amazing

RE050A are amazing

Depends on how much you want to end up in a ditch, really. That said, even the greatest of tyres or 4WD won't make up for ham-fisted control of a car in bad conditions. If it's that slippy, then just don't drive!

Sums it all up really, tyres are so important. I pay extra for mine but I know they're going to do the job I want. That said I don't take my Nissan out in icy weather and I try not to in wet weather, it's a fair weather car. For everything else I use my A3 Quattro but I'm intrigued to see how well it will (or most likely won't) handle in the icy conditions especially considering it has 18" wheels on it.

452 are sh*t

T1R are sh*t

VUS are good

PS2 are amazing

RE050A are amazing

Budget tyres are sh*t, 452's seem quite reasonable so far. Ok so they're not ps2's, but for the price you wouldn't expect them to be.

Can't say I've been sliding all over the place on 452's so far? The run down ze912's and no branded tyres at the front however, that was more interesting :thumbs:

When it gets twitchy over here I drop the pressures. 33 front 32 rear. Works for me,and of course a light right foot. :shrug:

I don't do big miles in the winter so the tyre wear is not noticeable for me.

(Falken 452s)