DIY track front wind splitter build.

djtimo

Well.............lol...

After grounding out my Varis CF splitter a few times (its horrible to hear!) And as we all know down force is great Im building a removable front wind splitter :disguise:

I have done quite a a bit of research on what to use CF,Alu, lexan and finally PLY WOOD!! lol.. Now I know lots of you will be like "Has he lost his mind!?!?!?!" Look at it like this, CF costs a fortune and if I hit anything it will crack or shatter, Alu is quite expensive and hard to work with and source, lexan again is hard to get hold of and in sheets large enough and the right thickness. Marine plywood is cheap,easy to work with, very stiff, light and cost £10 so if it gets banged up Ill just make another! :thumbs:

I have managed to get some tie rods like the APR ones below for £6 each!!!! APR ones are £50 for two!

apr_wind_splitter_rods.jpg

Any way on with the pic's!

Yes thats a 200cm by 70cm 9mm thick bit of marine ply in the zed!! lol

9a14e697.jpg

Making the card template.

b49fdac1.jpg

Half way through making the template.

00f45b88.jpg

Cut out the plywood.

53d70301.jpg

Offered up to the car. Splitter sticks out 50mm from the Varis CF one.

76e2fae2.jpg

477b42b2.jpg

The edges are going to be trimmed to match the width of the varis splitter soon. The 50mm lip should give a good edge to load up the front end. Im still not sure how im going to tie the splitter into the car yet? It needs to be attached with some strong alu brackets as this thing will have quite alot of force on it at high speed.

Im looking to use 4 tie rods on the lip edge and some sort of quick release fasteners on the underside so it can be whipped on and off with no tools. I think ill just use it for events as its gonna be quite large! :surrender:

Its going to be painted black and Im using edging covering for the front edge. Ill post pic's as it gets made but this is so far...

Flame away for using wood now! ahahaha :p :P :p

Top gear did do this but it's a long standing method used by tons of people. Yeah top gear car leaked oil onto the undertray and went on fire.

My car has a z speed steel undertray this will not go far enough back to be closeto any heat/ oil drips etc.

Its 7lbs in weight and it won. Be attached tithe bumper much mate. The Alu supports will come off the chassis rails or front crash brace. The down force alone would rip/bend the bumper.

cool. wanna see the final result....may adopt if it works as i am not spending stupid money on a new amuse splitter :dry:

there is a picture on the apr site of how they attached theirs to the underneath of the car, alu bracket with a twist bolt on it so it can just slide forwards assuming you remove the tie rods, im in the process of doing the same thing m8 so will be interesting to see how this turns out :)

Post up how your doing yours Steve as I know you and Mark from abbey were looking into one when I spoke to you at the nippon launch.

Little bit of progress on the front splitter.

I've been out and picked up some grey primer,gloss black auto paint and some 30mm x 2mm aluminum flat bar that Im going to use as some internal braces.

I have also taken the corners off the splitter so its more ankle friendly! I bit more hand sanding and the shape is spot on now.

38cdbb0b.jpg

a832a379.jpg

105a1188.jpg

a97feda8.jpg

0bd85d43.jpg

Never mind the tape over the il cooler, its just there for some testing :bangin:

b1f35980.jpg

As you can see from the pic above, the Varis splitter has a curve in the center that is leaving a gap from the wood splitter. Im coming up with some ideas on how to sort this as if I leave it open the air that builds up pressure onto of the lip would escape under the car! not really what I want.lol..

This is a quick drawing of what Im thinking of doing.

65b56730.jpg

This is a pic's of what my alu brackets may look like, I want to fasten mine to the front crash brace and drop them down vertically as the alu is stronger under tension loading than if it's at an angle like on this scooby.

IMG_5488.jpg

4709boost2.jpg

Should be good once done! :p

Bullet the denoc vinyl would coat more that the splitter! Lol. Would look good though.

Hmmm, how about gettin some fine mesh as a stencil and spraying little CF pattern using black and dark grey paint....

you been watching blue peter again.... :lol:

Little more work done today.

I went and picked up for zinc plated steel L-brackets and some more Aluminum flat bar (a little wider now at 40mm).

ebcd077f.jpg

Went about marking out where all the L-brackets were going to go.

371ced1e.jpg

All marked out if you can see, There are 20 L-brackets so the air dam part should add some stiffness to the front lip too.

bfc20c7b.jpg

Fitted with just the bracket at each end. Note the nut and bolts are just there for now as these wont fit (and look s***e! ha) when offered up to the car.

02efca2f.jpg

df68d338.jpg

46408a0e.jpg

All 20 brackets fitted to the splitter but not yet attached to the alu air dam. Im still unsure on how im going to do this so if any one has any ideas throw them up. Im thinking of counter sinking the holes and rivet them and hammer flat and smooth over/sand the surface??

b747165d.jpg

55a729e3.jpg

87d9078e.jpg

Thats it for today :) :)

Got on with a bit of painting today.

Grey primer base, gloss back colour and a few coats of clear. Still not done yet as I ran out of clear coat for the underside.

1st coat of primer.

625ab18b.jpg

2nd coat of primer.

a87041aa.jpg

sealing the edges top and bottom with colour first.

75021073.jpg

5e00d653.jpg

c94c48a6.jpg

b873416e.jpg

5ea9458d.jpg

a9a11234.jpg

Thats all the pic's I have for today. I really wanted to get the mounting points sorted today but the hassle of getting the front bumper off in this cold weather put me off :thumbdown:

Im going to get the bumper off and change out the air filters and sort out the brackets all at once. May be a job for next week.

Im really finding it hard to find some edging strip for the leading edge. Im after some push fit "U" shape rubber molding to neaten the front edge up. Any one know where I can get some from?

Just a thought...

Will you need to seal the wood in some sort of a way so that moisture stays out and doesn't get into the wood?

I know you are painting it, but since it's an organic material, it will flex to a certain degree, even if it is not noticable to the human eye (plus wood is poreus(sp?)).

I suppose a couple of coats of clear laquer should to the trick.

Lookin good, keep up the good work :)