Who's up for a Tunnel run..**Update P4 **

DoogyRev

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I get it. From your post it sounded like you slowed for the first camera floored the tunnel and slowed for the final camera. That's a big shame there's a camera. They don't have them on motorways such as in Switzwerland or France so why we got the bleeding things!

Although in Paris they have reverse facing cameras on their routes through centre of town. Didn't get a ticket though :dance:

Taken off the Pistonheads site:

There is the standard lane control using red X's and green arrows plus matrix boards.

At the entrance to the tunnels are barriers and lights similar to level crossing barriers to stop traffic from entering the tunnel if needed.

A moving central barrier can be moved accross the carriageway should it be needed to have a contraflow through one tunnel or to turn around the traffic, it takes and hour to move though!!!

Now onto the important bit....

The SPECS camera's are position each end of the tunnels in the central reservation, which means no hiding behind trucks as you pass them (unless your on the inside of course!!)

The cameras have now been home office approved to enforce both the 70 mph limit and the 40 mph limit.

The RADAR in the tunnel is to tell them when the traffic stops, something falls off a vehicle, a vehicle crashes etc (nothing to do with speed enforcement).

There are CCTV cameras everywhere.

The tunnel is staffed 24/7/365

This Fezza sounds nice in there :D

That sounded :cloud9:

On the way back from Cornwall my girlfriend wanted me to go back via her home town of Plymouth and was co-piloting me the route and when she said there was a tunnel about to come up. Turns out it was Saltash Tunnel which is about 500m long :thumbs: Only been through a few small tunnels before with the Zed so cranked the window's down and music off and listened to that lovely sound from the Zed! The girlfriend wondered what the hell I was upto :teeth:

Anyway looking very much to doing a Hindhead tunnel run even more now :thumbs:

Steve.

The SPECS camera's are position each end of the tunnels in the central reservation, which means no hiding behind trucks as you pass them (unless your on the inside of course!!)

The cameras have now been home office approved to enforce both the 70 mph limit and the 40 mph limit.

The RADAR in the tunnel is to tell them when the traffic stops, something falls off a vehicle, a vehicle crashes etc (nothing to do with speed enforcement).

so as long as over the full length of the tunnel ie between the SPECS camera positions you average a speed of 70 you will be fine.... :thumbs:

have since fitted a scorpion mid and back pipe to compliment the Motordyne XYZ... think i might have to go through again :teeth:

Surely that's 3 points if they are average speed cameras?

Naaaa national speed limit. 40 past the camera and for the first and the last third... Middle third can be quicker to average out :-)

Hope your thirds are accurate! You know the cameras only record your plate and not your speed right? The first camera sets your entry time, the last sets your exit time, then the distance between is divided with your time, giving your average speed.

The speed you passed the cameras at is irrelevant, as the system just works out the length of time you took to travel the distance.

HTH :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I go through this tunnel at least once a week on the way to Petersfield, where one of my projects is based.

I firstly went through with my K1 exhaust (no baffles) and lets just say i had a big smile on my face.

Then had my Scorpion exhaust fitted and not as loud :thumbdown: but still makes a great sound.

I slow down to about 30mph at the beginning of the tunnel then floor it to half way, then slow down again then floor it to the end of the tunnel :thumbs:

So it must be the average speed between the 1st and last camera :teeth:

Otherwise I think I may have some speeding tickets :lol:

• 1 month later...
I went through both ways yesterday as I had to travel to Essex.

Windows down and lovely sound, forgot about speed cameras though :scare: no idea what speeds I was doing, fingers crossed :headhurt:

Ouch, good luck. A couple of us went through a few months ago, i was watching the speedo like a hawk and kept to 70 but a friend crept passed me and ended up with 3 points in the mail

I went through both ways yesterday as I had to travel to Essex.

Windows down and lovely sound, forgot about speed cameras though :scare: no idea what speeds I was doing, fingers crossed :headhurt:

Ouch, good luck. A couple of us went through a few months ago, i was watching the speedo like a hawk and kept to 70 but a friend crept passed me and ended up with 3 points in the mail

Oh was that me :teeth: