NURBURGRING - April 2011 - **Update 15/2/11**

There has been talk on the forum to schedule an event at the Nurburgring in Germany. It would be great to include as many people in the UK, Ireland or even those already based in Europe to have a European gathering.

I have only just lost my virginity at the ring (you know what I mean :p ) and thoroughly enjoyed the track and the whole experience, not only that but the buzz of waiting for the track to open and the smell of petrol fueled cars waiting to enter the track was exilirating. This event will be tailored not only for those with track experience, but for those who want a great weekend away, cruising through Europe and taking a leisurely few laps round the Nurburgring.

The prices I have initially obtained concentrate on crossing the water, where the dates have only been used as a guide for prices. Again, the dates, times and locations are all negotiable, I guess depending how much interest is given to this event.

I've opted to pick a Thursday to Monday on the basis a couple of days can be used for the track, a potential day of rest to look around the local or distant areas, and depending on what major events occur at the track, we could potentially watch an endurance race or something of that kind (events not yet listed for 2011).

This is NOT going to be just car focused and for those wanting to bring their other half should do, as places such as Bonn, Koblenz, Trier and Frankfurt are within easy reach of the Nurburgring.

So lets introduce some prices, where I've sourced 5 options from the UK for starters, all returning on Monday 11th April.

Route - Hull to Rotterdam

Leave Wed 6th April 21:00

Arrive Thu 7th April 08:15

Cost £238 (This includes a 2 berth cabin on both outward and return journeys)

Route - Harwich to Hook of Holland

Leave Wed 6th April 23:45

Arrive Thu 7th April 07:45

Cost £183 (This includes a 2 berth cabin on the outward journey only)

Route - Dover to Dunkerque

Leave Thu 7th April 10:00

Arrive Thu 7th April 13:00

Cost £58 (Various travel times every two hours)

Route - Dover to Calais (P&O Ferries)

Leave Thu 7th April 09:20

Arrive Thu 7th April 11:50

Cost £90 (Various travel times every 50 minutes)

Route - Folkestone to Calais (Eurotunnel)

Leave Thu 7th April 10:20

Arrive Thu 7th April 11:55

Cost £90 (Various travel times every 20 minutes)

I've included a link to some of the accommodation available for a guide of prices, although recommendation is the Tiergarten Hotel just 500m from the track entrance. This hotel is owned by Sabine Schmidt's mother :thumbs: where I have already sent a request for prices and availability for April.

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/en/home/

Other accommodation

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/where_to_stay.html

So, lets see who's interested, fire some questions and lets see if we can schedule a trip to the Nurburgring some time in April 2011. I want to avoid May only because of other forum events such as Wales 2011.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honeymoon at the ring, you couldn't ask for more surely. Even the car gets to spend some quality time with you and your partner :thumbs:

If the dates don't suit suggest an alternative if you can and we can build a list of other potential dates.

Once a date has been confirmed it would be advisable to book the ferry/train etc as prices like to go up.

Good to hear we are getting some initial interest. I'd like to get this booked up by the end of November (December latest) if we can. That way we have some serious commitment and secure the best rates for travel.

I like your thinking on the location Greekman - I agree there's not a great deal to do at the Ring. Adenau is also fairly limited. Koblenz is a good idea, some night life and a choice of restaurants and bars would be far more suitable. If the non driving ladies are attending it leaves them the option of shopping or whatever women do when they go out :lol:

I'm also very sure the Hull to Rotterdam boat is more entertaining, but i'm not driving all that way just to get sloshed now Greekman :p

The only issue with the longer ferries is the cost, and the amount of time it takes to travel. Although on a plus note, it does cut out a major leg of the journey to be positioned in Holland after a few drinks and a sleep :thumbs:

I'm thinking it would be superb if possible, to all meet in Holland before the drive south to Germany, although those driving from Calais it would be pointless to head north and then south. So I can see two convoy's heading to the Ring once we're in Europe.

I shall start the search for accommodation in Koblenz.

Are there any further comments on the length of the trip, is it potentially too long? Especially those who don't want to use up too much holiday?

I will also try and gauge some petrol costs, once we've landed in Europe and then all that is needed is to add Ring petrol and the journey from home to the port in the UK?

Below are the prices for the Nurburgring.

1 lap: € 22

4 laps: € 75

8 laps: € 145

15 laps: € 250

25 laps: € 390

Annual ticket: € 1.075

This may appear expensive, but then what you're actually getting for your money is fairly good value. Especially when it comes down to the amount of manpower required to allow us to race a circuit which is legendary in the world, and at 20.8km you're getting a fair amount of track :thumbs:

More comments questions and ideas welcome.....

i ll drive down south no probs. on another note if people are coming from up north we can have 2 convoys meeting up at maastricht for a photoshoot :teeth:

then altogether head south. :drive1

as for the tickets it depends on how many days we ll spend at the ring. the zed cant take more than 2 laps in one go. breaks/tyres overheat. plus 24 laps x 20km = 480km... we may need spare sets of pads and tyres ;)

then again we can buy tickets over there depending on weather and car condition at the time :)

I'm swaying between Harwich and the Eurotunnel personally. Nice and relaxing on the boat, and simple once you reach Holland. Although, the Eurotunnel is cheaper and probably one of the most preferred routes for those in the south. I guess it depends on who is located where.... if there are a number of Midlands/East Anglia drivers then it will be more interesting to take the Harwich option, although if the popularity is the South then the Eurotunnel.

Maastricht is a good idea - a good middle of the road location point.

If I remember rightly the Friday session is longer than Mon-Thu so there's plenty of time to let brakes cool down. I was only doing 1 lap at a time only because my brakes sounded like Coco Pops (Snap, Crackle and Pop!!!) I could hear the elements of my brakes contracting after all the heat being generated!! After my first lap there was smoke rising from my callipers!! (Purely my fault though for being over cautious on the track).

I think for those who would seriously give the car some pace would def require a set of additional pads (just in case!!). Tyres, hmmmm don't really want to purchase a set of tyres!! :scare: Maybe I don't drive the car hard enough :shrug:

Agreed buying the laps would probably be best suited to "on the day" due to the weather, although I know for sure I will make another visit end of the summer - so if there are any unused laps I can always redeem them later :thumbs:

Okay, although I think we need an agreed date first?

Lets keep this thread alive for a week or so and then post a list of those who are 100% agreed to make the event!

Costs would I guess be anywhere between £700 - £1000 depending on group size, and how much drink is consumed eh Greekman, and if Darren's game then he's going to need a further £500 just for wine ;)

I'm being very pedandtic when I type this....

Cost £58 (Various travel times on the hour)

Ships sail every 2 hours from Dover, not every hour.

Crossing time is approx 2 hours.

And if your Zed is lowered, please make sure you declare it at the DFDS Seaways check-in booth.

Otherwise you may have to go up onto Deck 5, and your bumper/exhaust may not make it in one piece.

If you declare it, then they will load you on Deck 4 which doesnt involve a ship-board ramp.

(I worked on one of these boats for the past year ;) )

I'm being very pedandtic when I type this....

Cost £58 (Various travel times on the hour)

Ships sail every 2 hours from Dover, not every hour.

Crossing time is approx 2 hours.

And if your Zed is lowered, please make sure you declare it at the DFDS Seaways check-in booth.

Otherwise you may have to go up onto Deck 5, and your bumper/exhaust may not make it in one piece.

If you declare it, then they will load you on Deck 4 which doesnt involve a ship-board ramp.

(I worked on one of these boats for the past year ;) )

Thank you Lexx for spotting the deliberate mistake - agreed every 2 hours (Dover to Dunkerque.

I wasn't aware that you could request specific ramps to board... worth noting. Thanks for your comments....

You coming then? :p

You can't specify ramps as such. Just be sure to declare as a 'low' car when you check in.

That way the loadmater on the quay tells the loading officer on the boat. So that way you end up on deck 4.

My one euro trip next year will be Le Mans.

Alex - are there such days which aren't public? Are we not the public? I'm no racing driver or track go'er so I'd look a tad incompetent in comparison to some, if it was a non public day?

The insurance I've found covers you for the track only and not personal liability which is about £250 although worth it if you fancy rearranging the barriers and so on.

Andlid, what are the chances of you making it also?

Alex - are there such days which aren't public? Are we not the public? I'm no racing driver or track go'er so I'd look a tad incompetent in comparison to some, if it was a non public day?

The insurance I've found covers you for the track only and not personal liability which is about £250 although worth it if you fancy rearranging the barriers and so on.

Andlid, what are the chances of you making it also?

Remember that the track is basically a public toll road which resuilts in loads of serious accidents,

also there are long queues on most public days especially if the weather is good and if it is a public holiday or at weekends.

There are many, many clubs that organise private events and these are much safer and better than the public days and are easy to sign up to.

I personally would not go out on a public day.

This might help you understand better what I am trying to say.

http://www.rmatrackdays.com/?id=nurburgring

I haven't been to the ring yet - and I'm watching this thread with great interest. However there's no way I'd go on an open public day...much better to identify an organised day such as the one Alex has highlighted and we could all aim for the same day :thumbs:

Book-a-track also do organised trips and seem to quite often do weekends that take in the ring and Spa all in one weekend ;)

Wasso, I'm more or less in... told the gf what I want for my bday 2011 :D Might be in France already with my little family and friends so might work out pretty good, I'd rather go on a organised trackday then public road. Dangerous either way mind...and I'll adapt the other holliday to suit this one! (if it doesn't take too long to get a date)

A

There's nothing wrong with going on a "tourist day", yes it can be busy an a bit crazy on track but its alot cheaper doing it this way, just sqeeze in as many laps as you can to help learn the track.

oh and you will prob have to wait till mid january to organise it as thats when the race dates and tousrist dates are released, :thumbs:

There's nothing wrong with going on a "tourist day", yes it can be busy an a bit crazy on track but its alot cheaper doing it this way, just sqeeze in as many laps as you can to help learn the track.

oh and you will prob have to wait till mid january to organise it as thats when the race dates and tousrist dates are released, :thumbs:

there too many people who cause accidents etc, its all been seen before... listen to zmanalex, he is a regular there :thumbs: