cheaper to park in drive

ewan221

Up early so thought Id look at some insurance quotes, the good news the 350z will be cheaper than the Boxster :)

The strange thing though the quotes for keeping overnight on my drive were cheaper than keeping it in garage, up to £30 cheaper

I have always had my quotes in past based on keeping car in garage, but being honest im very often to lazy to put the car in :lol:

Looks like I was wrong in assuming ticking the garage option was saving me money

The theory is that people are more likely to drive into the sides of their garage and scrape their car when driving in/out of it, hence the higher premium. Personally I'm happy to pay a premium on that knowing that scumbags who might want to steal/vandalise it can't do so at night because she's tucked up safe in the garage. :)

You might also want to play around with residential parking, I found that to be fairly cheap compared to "in a garage"... mines an underground residential car park type garage thing with automatic gates so I figure I can play around as there isn't really an option for that.

• 1 month later...

When I was looking at my quote, parking in the garage was by far the most expensive and parking on the street the cheapest, was in the hundreds that I saved by saying I park in on the street (which I actually do). Can't remember the exact number tho, but was surprised how much of a difference it made.

The theory is that people are more likely to drive into the sides of their garage and scrape their car when driving in/out of it, hence the higher premium. Personally I'm happy to pay a premium on that knowing that scumbags who might want to steal/vandalise it can't do so at night because she's tucked up safe in the garage. :)

Big +1. Its tight to get into and out of my garage, but I'd rather take the time to do so than have it on the drive when scummers can get at it :boxing:

• 1 month later...

Just did a quote on a Zed. Was £85 cheaper on my drive than if I pretend I have a garage (purely test only I wouldn't lie lol). I also did a quote on an address which my parents recently inherited in a MUCH lower crime area... it went up £45 compared to my home address on the drive but dropped £100 in the garage go figure that one out!

In most cases parking on the street is even cheaper than parking on the drive ;)

It's about the car being visible, so stealing it is harder.

+1 I've been told this too! Cars in garages are targeted by organised criminals because there hidden away! This gives them more time to break in and steal your car undisturbed!

• 6 months later...