Gear Changing Techniques

neo-ninja

Surely changing gear is all about matching flywheel speed with prop shaft speed (i.e. the rotational speed of the gearbox input shaft and the gearbox output shaft) for the gear you are about to use ............ and for that IMO it is best to blip the throttle on down shifts and double de-clutch on up shifts ........... if you practice this you can eventually change gear all day without using the clutch .............. only do this if it is a hire car

I guess if you've got a really light flywheel and you take a while selecting the new higher gear then a blip might raise the revs back up to where you want them but I can't see it being needed in a standard 350Z.

thats what i said to anders, maybe hes just a bit slow ;)

Dunno about you, but I just pull the paddle on the wheel :lol::p

Honestly, smoothest way to change is to match the revs with the road speed, so when you engage the clutch there is no speed no differential it has to take up. Whether you do this via a blip (if you let the revs drop lower than they need to be), or simply let off the throttle a bit so they drop doesnt matter, so long as you match them.

Wasn't blipping as you call it used in the pre synchromesh days when you used to have to double declutch (pump the clutch once to go into neutral, then blip to increase the speed of the gears on the main shaft to those on the layshaft). If memory serves me right, it was used more on downshifting than on upshifting. Changing speed more slowly probably has the same effect as it allows the synchromesh rings to equalize the gear speeds especially if they are a little worn. Just some thoughts. Probably wrong.

Wasn't blipping as you call it used in the pre synchromesh days when you used to have to double declutch (pump the clutch once to go into neutral, then blip to increase the speed of the gears on the main shaft to those on the layshaft). If memory serves me right, it was used more on downshifting than on upshifting. Changing speed more slowly probably has the same effect as it allows the synchromesh rings to equalize the gear speeds especially if they are a little worn. Just some thoughts. Probably wrong.

nooooooo .....you're right

yup only tried bliping when down shifting (litrally only just started but seems to make a difference)

Healt to toe method makes me a tad nervous as i picture myself cocking it up and being too heavy on brake then getting confused pedals wise and before i know it im in a hedge on the middle of the roundabout lol!

Maybe if i can find a quiet road to practise on i will give it a go

Heel and toe definitely makes for a smoother drive, plus it sounds great too! Its not difficult you just need time to get used to it.

IMO its an essential technique for a powerful RWD car - you stand a good chance of de-stabilising the car on fast down change without matching the revs. Its technically possible to lock the rear wheels momentarily on a non matched down change, which would be brown trousers time for sure!

I can't speak for the downshifting majority but you would blip it when downshifting normally, although I have to say the 'auto blip' on the 370 has made me lazy when it comes to this now :p As for chaging up, smooth and steady is the way, I remember trying to master my 350, the missus just laughed at my gear changes sometimes :(

I can't speak for the downshifting majority but you would blip it when downshifting normally, although I have to say the 'auto blip' on the 370 has made me lazy when it comes to this now :p As for chaging up, smooth and steady is the way, I remember trying to master my 350, the missus just laughed at my gear changes sometimes :(

:console: they just dont understand