Hello. New 370Z Owner.

Hi,

I have been a longtime lurker, as I had a MY07 350Z, which will be going to a new owner. I thought I would join and become part of the community, though forgive me if I do not post much.

I have picked up a 40th Anniversary Black Edition 370Z in Quartz my number is 142/370 it was the last manual quartz 370Z in the UK (confirmed with two other dealerships in the UK, to check the dealership weren't trying it on ;-).

I have included a pic of the Zed after I spent the best part of 17 hours doing a new car detail (Brake dust was a real issue on the 350Z, and so were insects wanting to die on its grill).

For those curious about Scratch Shield and how it can affect detailing you may find this post interesting:

http://www.luxury4play.com/detailing/49056-infiniti-g37x-scratch-shield-paint-complete-detail-unique-car-care.html

Its a professional detailers findings on working with Scratch Shield. The interesting thing to note is when he uses a rotary polisher on it. Worth a read.

Anyway I look forward to hanging out here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

EZ

Sneakers

:welcome: to the club!

Your Quartz looks lovely. Great finish to it - what products / methods did you use in the detail?

Nice article from L4P too. We had a little discussion on this paint tonight on the forum so it's interesting to see that thread.

Where about in the country are you from? Check out the local meets to see if anything is coming up that'd take your fancy - great excuse to show off the car! :teeth:

Hi Stew and cs,

Thank you both for the welcome its much appreciated.

The methods/products used were:

Pre-rinse with a hose.

2 bucket wash with Meguiars Hyperwash and wool mitts.

Dry car with ultra deep microfibre.

Clay the car, with Meguiars Quik Detailing Kit.

Put 1 layer of Autoglym Super Resin Polish down. Allowed 1 hr to cure.

Put 3 layers of Finish Kare #1000 (FK1000). I love this stuff, easy to put on, easy to buff off and can be layered again straight away and it looks good too.

After 30 mins put on a layer of Dodojuice Rainforest Rub to finish and bring out the colour and depth.

Alloys were cleaned with Meguiars and sealed with 3 layers of poorboys sealant.

The leather and alcantara materials inside are sealed with Nanolex Leather and Textile Sealant and allowed to cure for 24 hours.

All done by hand! Backbreaking stuff but worth it. :yahoo:

I saw the discussion on the forum about the Scratch Shield paint, hence why I posted the link. I spent a while trying to find what the approved finish materials were for Scratch Shield. I came up with nothing; Nissan, dealerships or special bulletins... nada. :thumbdown:

Google has precious little on the subject of detailing Scratch Shield, detailers either don't notice or it makes no difference to them. This was the first article where the article talks about and is specifically aware that he is working on Scratch Shield so his observations are incredibly useful.

I am in Scotland, around the Glasgow area, I will keep an eye on the meets and see if I can make one or two.

Thanks again.

EZ

Sneakers

:welcome:

There is info out there about Scratch Shield, but very little stuff recently. In the US, I think Infiniti dropped it off their cars after one model year and I dont think Nissan are using it much over there either, except for the GTR. In this country there are limited cars out there with it on, some Infinitis, GTRs and 370zs (of which only metallics and pearls have it, the solid red doesnt). From what I can gether its a resin in the clearcoat, but doesnt seem to do much. Infiniti in Reading confirmed that they use heat guns to activate it in the country, but couldnt confirm how you are meant to detail it, or what can be done if you need to have touch up work done applying extra clearcoat. I think it doesnt do a lot, but what I have noticed is that the paint seems more resilient to stone chips than the 350z paint.

Welcome to the forum and 370 ownership :thumbs:

Thanks for the detailing link and useful stuff about the 'scratch shield'. As Chris is finding it out the 370 does seem a little more resiliant to stone chips and having added numerous layers of supernatural it does seem to stay pretty clean and the whilst you get nothing like the mirror effect of a well detailed dark colour the advantage it does not show the swirls and I am certainly finding it ab easier colour to maintain than my previous ebisu ZED. :D

Hi and thanks to the last welcomes, I genuinely appreciate it.

@Chris'I: I had seen that Infinti had dropped the Scratch Shield. Though couldn't find the reason why. I suspect to the average consumer it sounds way more wonderful than it is and then dealerships are left explaining the various complaints and warranty claims.

Me my view is it might be useful, but as long as it doesn't restrict me from actually looking after my car the way I like then I don't really care.

@ebized: Glad you found the link useful. If that Scratch Shield makes the Zed more stone chip resistant then I will be a seriously happy Zed man.

@chippy: Ironically Quartz wasn't my first choice, I simply hadn't seen one, but when I did I knew it was the colour I had to have.

EZ

Sneakers

@Chris'I: I had seen that Infinti had dropped the Scratch Shield. Though couldn't find the reason why. I suspect to the average consumer it sounds way more wonderful than it is and then dealerships are left explaining the various complaints and warranty claims.

Far simpler than that, it just costs too much ;) In the States it didnt offer enough for the cost at their price point, obviously it was better to sell the cars a bit cheaper than include it. The car costs more over here, so they can justify it as on the Infiniti range they are meant to be high end cars and its a USP people are willing to pay for.

Quartz is definately the best colour though :teeth: They werent planning on making it available in this country to start with ;)