Advanced driving

rob d

I have just bought a 350z. It's my sportiest car ever. I have had a few that had promise but I feel this is the real deal. 300 horses and rear wheel drive and all that. IT's why I bought it ! The best toy ever.....

I have ridden fast bikes for years but that hardly transposes here. Instead of relying on years of bad habits and bravery, I am looking to get the best out of my car by learning how to actually drive. Has anyone tried an advanced performance course. Where ? What did you think ? Would you recommend anyone ? :drive1

Beat me to it....Andy Walsh's days are meant to be amazing :shrug:

Also theres Colin Hoad at http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/ :thumbs:

Vik do you know anyone who does that kind of thing up here? Cat looks good but it just seems a little steep to me. Are the knockhill tutor things any good. Or is there anyone that does what that Andy walsh does but at crail? :thumbs:

Sounds like a group booking is a distinct possibility. Has the potential to be a lot of fun too. I'm sure others would be interested to given we have had so many new zed owners join the forum recently.

I guess it's a matter of finding the best training for the right price and in a suitable location for all.

Be good if we could make something of this.

knockhill does performance lessons which are really good. To get the most out of it though i would recommend a track day first to get used to track driving as then you'll get your moneys worth rather than the instructor teaching you the basics. The track day i done first i was absolutely terrified due to bad weather and water laying on the track. After driving in that i feel alot more comfortable in the dry but still very scary when you know uve got to drive home in the car and if you wreck it your walking. Performance lessons at knockhill are awesome but i think mainly only relative to that track.

• 1 month later...

Andy Walsh is a great instructor. Done a few "fun days" with Car Limits but never any formal training, but you still get good instruction from him if you ask nicely. He had my other half flying around the course in my 350z :drive1:scare::lol:

I did talk to him a while ago about having a 350z-uk day doing the fun airfield day stuff, but not formal training - what would people be interested in?

What an excellent day ! Started with skid pan. A must for everyone who has ever even walked on ice. Learnt some key action immediately- clutch in !!!!! then steer in to it , correct steer back to intended direction clutch out. Whoda thought??? I tried the old boot it and sh'll come right and spun it every time.... a real eye opener.

After that some three hours of thrashing about Exeter and the moors. Brilliant. All the coaching was doen timely and in a very relaxed mood. I learnt key stuff and was encouraged to spend time on each step. Changing down ! FFS ! Way better by matching rev's, seamless and more power !

I recommend these guys, I am going back for more in a couple of months for the next instalment. I was never pressured to sign up to anything btw, which was good. I do now feel there is so much more to be learnt though so Ii will put my pennies down for this again.

http://www.firstcontactdriving.com/

don't be fooled by the Learner on the front page. This guy drove my Zed and made it fly !

:clap::drive1:clap:

Glad it went well and you had fun, really tempted to try this out.

How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking and how long for, sounds like they gave you lots of bang for the buck. Bet you are seeing your zed in new light now. Hope you don't need to get new tyres after your day playing :)

It was £150 for 4 hours. Went slightly over, and he bought the tea when we stopped for a briefing...

£75 was taken up by the skid pan training, well worth it as I buggered HIS tyres doing it. I thought I would be arsing about in the Zed but they have a Mondeo with a full pneumatic out rigger kit on it.

He then has full controll of when the slide will start. he makes it harder the better you get so learning is easy :thumbs:

I was doing donuts by the end :#1: