Todays Poll....

chrisjones6699

What should I do?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Stay in my industry and do another job?
    • Complete change and go for Car Sales?
    • Complete change and do something else?
    • Other? (please specify)

having been a salesman in the past for about 5 years i'd say its got to be in your blood or you wont like it. Most sales jobs are very bonus orientated so you have to be in work with that irritating "lets go" american style over enthusiastic attitude to get the most out of it. But it is a direction so if your not happy where you are then its an idea.

having been a salesman in the past for about 5 years i'd say its got to be in your blood or you wont like it. Most sales jobs are very bonus orientated so you have to be in work with that irritating "lets go" american style over enthusiastic attitude to get the most out of it. But it is a direction so if your not happy where you are then its an idea.

Totally agree with Husky on this. I've been in Sales 15 years now, 7 in a technical consultative role. Car Sales is generally acknowledged as very high pressure from the Sales Managers, though that may depend on the sales unit.

I considered it at one point. What I might suggest is approach a garage for weekend work to give you a flavour of it and keep your current job. They generally need more guys over the weekends. Even for only a month. Then you can always drop it if you hate it. Always the danger of hating cars as well on the back on it. I know I hate what I sell ;-)

Sales is a rollercoaster. I'll make you feel like a your on top of the world and then make you wanna jack it in and become a road sweeper. No middle ground.

PM me if you want and I'll happy have a chat with you on it if that helps any.

Bradders.

Totally agree with Husky on this. I've been in Sales 15 years now, 7 in a technical consultative role. Car Sales is generally acknowledged as very high pressure from the Sales Managers, though that may depend on the sales unit.

I considered it at one point. What I might suggest is approach a garage for weekend work to give you a flavour of it and keep your current job. They generally need more guys over the weekends. Even for only a month. Then you can always drop it if you hate it. Always the danger of hating cars as well on the back on it. I know I hate what I sell ;-)

Sales is a rollercoaster. I'll make you feel like a your on top of the world and then make you wanna jack it in and become a road sweeper. No middle ground.

PM me if you want and I'll happy have a chat with you on it if that helps any.

Bradders.

completely agree. AND all you EVER get asked is what deals there are by your mates :bangin::bangin:

if you could pick any job to do what would you want to do, regardless of qulaifications experience etc.

most people have a pipe dream of what they would rather be doing, or if they had dreams of setting up their own business.

whats yours?

I have a passion for photography and i also cant stop thinking about the show i done with my brothers. I would love to do another few shows but its not up to me. I love photography but what options do i have without qualifications and experience? I dont know how i could make as much money as i can now. I know its not all about money but my situation requires me to make a decent living. I need to save for a mortgage.

If you like cars and fancy selling them you may as well go for the change. I've been doing the same line of work for 20 years and it's about time for change. Going to startup my own business next year.

Just out of curiosity, how many years have you said that for?

I've often thought about car sale because I love 'cars'.............however........I love the cars 'I love'...........can you really see yourself getting enthusiastic about selling a Honda Jazz in electric pink?

Or a total nail of a car that you know is a 'bad' motor but your boss needs to shift it off the forecourt? Imagine selling a Zed that you knew to be a shedder but it was going to net you a ruck in bonus?

Personally I'd find it hard but if you've got to put food on the table you may have to make those kind of choices.

I've often thought about car sale because I love 'cars'.............however........I love the cars 'I love'...........can you really see yourself getting enthusiastic about selling a Honda Jazz in electric pink?

Or a total nail of a car that you know is a 'bad' motor but your boss needs to shift it off the forecourt? Imagine selling a Zed that you knew to be a shedder but it was going to net you a ruck in bonus?

Personally I'd find it hard but if you've got to put food on the table you may have to make those kind of choices.

I think that's where i would struggle to be honest. I have morals and I would feel like a right b@stard if i sold a heap of junk to someone!

There are evening courses at local colleges in things like photography, might be a good starting place, develop your skills abit, then start doing the odd job for people at weekends and build on it form there. if you get to a point where either the job or the photography has to give way its usually the point at which you can seriously look at swapping the career over.

i know some one who started off doing wedding photography on the cheap for friends etc, then got recommended to others from those people and now he's booked up most weekends doing wedding photography. as the interest has gone up so has his price. its a nice little side earner for him at the moment.

If you like cars and fancy selling them you may as well go for the change. I've been doing the same line of work for 20 years and it's about time for change. Going to startup my own business next year.

Just out of curiosity, how many years have you said that for?

I've only this month decided. I've always love my line of work. I was never born to be behind a desk although only in the last twelve months have I been getting really annoyed of how in competent some companies can be. So I'm making plans to do something I enjoy which involves cars and have the added bonus of working for myself. I've already been enquiring about courses and qualifications so hopefully by early spring I want to be setup. The only problem is that I earn good money doing what I do now and I'm sure changing career will reduce my income. Although I'm planning long term to reap the results.

There are evening courses at local colleges in things like photography, might be a good starting place, develop your skills abit, then start doing the odd job for people at weekends and build on it form there. if you get to a point where either the job or the photography has to give way its usually the point at which you can seriously look at swapping the career over.

i know some one who started off doing wedding photography on the cheap for friends etc, then got recommended to others from those people and now he's booked up most weekends doing wedding photography. as the interest has gone up so has his price. its a nice little side earner for him at the moment.

I've seriously considered doing this but with my line of work, I'm not in one place long enough to commit to a collage. Maybe a change in career is the stepping stone to doing what i want to do in the long run?

I hope you guys know that the results of this poll will decide my future!? :lol:

I agree with the other guys about wedding photography. If it's what you love to do then go for it. It's also something you could maybe do on the side for a while to see if you enjoy it. I play in a wedding band and I can tell you first hand that it's a great way to make money. I have a full time job as well but I make far more money from a few hours with the band than I do working all week. Three years ago we did 2 weddings and we've built it to 35 this year. The difficulty is getting started because weddings are booked so far in advance and people tend to go with recommendations. Once you're underway though and word of mouth gets around the offers come flooding in if you're good at what you do.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :thumbs:

[quote name="chrisjones6699

I've seriously considered doing this but with my line of work' date=' I'm not in one place long enough to commit to a collage. Maybe a change in career is the stepping stone to doing what i want to do in the long run?

I hope you guys know that the results of this poll will decide my future!?

I think unless you're absolutely suicidal in your current job, or you're so highly qualified you're being head-hunted by top City firms, then I wouldn't be quitting any job right now.

It's a little more complicated than that. There's not much security work about and the job i'm on at the moment is ending very soon. I'm self employed so it not like i have to quit anything. pro's and con's i suppose!

Dan's nailed it........your job (presumably) pays you a set wage (plus I assume overtime if your in Security). Self employment usually needs a fist full of dollars to start with and switching to a commission/target based job without knowing the industry could see you taking less money then you do now.

Some will say money isn't everything...........but try living without it!

Seriously though - I do know where your coming from and had a similar episode a few months back. I work in mortgages and am paid (or so I believe) pretty well for doing a job I wasn't originally recruited to do due to the market place (sub prime lender - i.e the ones who caused this whole disaster in the first place!) and therefore don't take the job satisfaction I once did.

I was thinking of binning it off because of the bureaucracy and applying to the fire brigade until my uncle had a chat with me........a swift dry slap later and I'm still here making hay while the sun shines.........the moral of the story being 'the grass isn't always greener'.