The fastest types of 350z

carnagecam

Oh yay, another Porker vs Nissan argument... :surrender:

As far as the difference between the three revisions of 350Z, it's really not going to make any difference that you'd really notice. The 309 will be a little quicker if you pull to the top end, and that difference will be noticed most on track, but on the road there's not going to be much in it.

the differneces in power we're talking about are minimal, its like the difference of 3 identical cars one has just the driver, one has a passenger and the last has 2 passengers.

the newer versions are heavier if i remember rightly as well. the most noticable difference with the cars that would make the biggest difference. is who is actually driving it. you can all the power in the world but if you can't use it it will make bog all difference.

i'd get a 276 spend the money saved on driver training and still be quicker than most on the track.

but as alot of you don't track your cars, its irrelevant, most of this is about bragging rights in the pub. and playing top trumps with the figures.

Hi guys,

Looking at getting my first z and have a few questions regarding performance.

With the standard z's, which are faster the uk or jap spec?

I've been looking at the GT4 model and also the gt pack for the uk, which model gives the best performance?

My insurance quote for the GT4 was quite a bit higher than the gt, is it worth the extra £?

Sorry if any of this is noob style questions, just can't find much concrete info on the net and figured that an owners club would provide the best info B) .

cheers

Why don't we anser the OP's questions instead of talking about Porsches?

rtbiscuit has done this nicely on the first page and I can show you more videos of me overtaking a 296hp GT manual with a 276hp basic auto on the track. As I had a little more experience than the other driver, let's say the 2 models are "identical" in performance. (We both have mods but I would guess my plenum spacer only cancelled out the 3 years wear-and-tear between the 2 of us.) I've also got video of me losing ground to Ian is his lovely 400 bhp Z but he was paying about £10,000 for the privilege.

It really depends on your finances and "need" to have either a more luxuriously appointed car or a special edition and your feelings on depreciation etc.

If you're loaded and a garage-queen :p buy a GT4 and spend your weekends licking it. If you want to save £8,000ish, but a cheap '03/'04 JDM (one went for under £6k recently!!) and have fun.

I doubt that anybody on this forum has got the driving skills to show any noticeable difference between any of the models so rtbiscuit's recommendation to buy a 276hp and get driver training (and I would add Brembos and uprated discs) is absolutley spot on. :thumbs:

I agree Porsche / 350Z arguments are ace.

I only bought a Z as it didn't have a soft top, cause I don't have a garage. In the real world there is no difference at all. Except maybe that you won't be let out at junctions in a Boxster :lol:

Visually the Z looks miles nicer too; Boxsters just don't turn heads in the same way.

Bradders.

captain, you should be ni advertising :lol: if you could plug that video any more i'd be amazed :lol::#1:

:lol::lol:

There is sooooo much more I could show but a lot of it would be frowned on.............. :ban:

It was really a genuine attempt to stop people who (appear) to know nothing (except what they read off spec sheets) telling the OP what to do. I've got a real-world example of how 7 year old 276hp matches 4 year old 296hp and I think that's what the guy wants to know, not how fast a Boxster S is.

I'd love to compare my car on the track against a 313hp car to see how much "better" it is than an old 276hp auto. rtbiscuit reckons there wouldn't be half a car between us and the OP has to decide if that is worth £10,000.

[quote name="captain

rtbiscuit reckons there wouldn't be half a car between us and the OP has to decide if that is worth £10' date='000.[/quote]

i must admit its a theortical guess, trying to balance it out in your head the diffenernece in torque, against bhp, with different weights.

with 2 identical drivers there might be may be a car length to a length and a half, but again it depends on the track you test it on. if you use somewhere with long straights then the 313 is going to pull out a better lead, but if you keep it on compact technical track then i don't think there is much in it.

and as said before most people on here don't have the talent to unlock all of the zeds potential to make the difference between the 2 noticable.

I wasn't arguing the 986 was better it was a point I was showing on page 1. But some 350 owners can't see past their orange dials that are cars out there that are faster than a 350. The OP said he likes boost so he will most likely be used to a faster car. But most people perfer the "experience" of the Zeds engine, modern chassis (in comparison to older jap cars) and the looks and attention it recives. :thumbs:

I wasn't arguing the 986 was better it was a point I was showing on page 1. But some 350 owners can't see past their orange dials that are cars out there that are faster than a 350. The OP said he likes boost so he will most likely be used to a faster car. But most people perfer the "experience" of the Zeds engine, modern chassis (in comparison to older jap cars) and the looks and attention it recives. :thumbs:

agreed there are a lot of wearers of zed tinted glasses on here. its not a bad thing the zed is a great car, handles beautifully, great engine, fun to drive, stunning looks. it really is a complete package when it comes to cars. for those coming from the land of OEM built FI cars the zed can be a culture shock, not that it isn't as quick as some of the turbo cars going, more the fact that the zeds delivery of power can be deceptive, and what feel slike slow is actual fast but just delivered in a very linear and smooth manor. you don't get as much of a kick as you do with a turbo.

to be honest as others have said its very difficult to find a car in the zeds price range that is as much of a complete package for the price. you can;t really go far wrong with the 350z, which model you choose is imaterial and based more on budget than overall competancy of each version.

I'm pretty sure the fastest types of 350z are those with Veilside bodykits. I've seen numerous ones for sale with between 350-400hp with pretty much no other mods. I'm pretty sure that screwing a few massive arches into the side of the car and having a big fat rear bumper increases your torque by about 20% and greatly improves handling. Afterall all those adverts can't be wrong.

:boxing:

I've got a real-world example of how 7 year old 276hp matches 4 year old 296hp and I think that's what the guy wants to know, not how fast a Boxster S is.

Very superb video it is too :D

As others have said, the Z33 is as near as dammit the complete package as long as you only need two seats. Ive been out test driving E92 M3, Lexus IS-F, GTR, Focus RS, 997 C2S recently and with all but the Lexus I think I preferred the way my Zed looks and drives. Sure its not as fast but its a lot more fun than most of the above, even with 7 years under its belt. :thumbs:

If you are just interested in speed you can buy a 400hp S14 200SX for £3.5K and the Zed wont even see which way it went, but theres more to it that that. :)

Hey guys

Thank you very much for the replies :thumbs: .

The information has been great and gives me a good idea of what to go for. I'm just window shopping at the moment before I get my morgage sorted out.

I've only ever driven turbo cars in the past myself,two imported starlets and a subaru. But I want something with a bit more class and maturity to go along with my age(25) and my job. Both my brothers drive evos(450bhp and 876 :scare: respectively) and I want something different.

I feel that the 350 suits my criteria rather well, I was also looking at toyota supra's aswell but the insurance is a fair bit higher.

I'm came across a few supercharged z's on pistonheads, near 400bhp B) , these things must be a handful!

In term of being practical however I think I'm going towards the Gt more, as they seem to be quite cheap thesedays.

I look foward to chatting to you guys in the future and hopefully with some pics of my z :)

• 3 months later...

I'll make it short and simple. Engine wise there is near to sod all in it. IMO the best engine if you want to keep it all OEM is the 309HP (aka the 313). This is the best engine to date, and best interior. The next best is the 276HP which has a better torque curve than the 296HP which is basically a 276HP with more agressive cams (theres more to it than that but imagine that is the case). The 276HP has more torque low down than the 296HP so its a bit of a nicer drive, but again not a lot in it.

If you want a car to keep OEM, get a 309HP, if you want a car to mod, get the 276HP, build the engine and TT it ;)