Urgent Tyre Advice Needed!

Bundus

Hi guys

The front passenger side tyre on Hayley's 206 CC punctured yesterday and I need to get it sorted today. We literally just replaced the front drivers side about 3 weeks ago :rant:

She has Goodyear Eagle F1's on there at the moment and they are about £120 at a garage (I know websites are cheaper but I need it sorted today). I was just wondering if I can replace this one tyre with a cheaper brand? I know its not recommended but the car is hardly a sports vehicle and we only use it for casual driving. I can get a Hankook tyre for half the price of the Eagle F1.

Any advice on whether or not this is ok or am I really going to ruin the car? Just to add we are both absolutely skint so if its doable then please let me know.

Thanks very much.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the winter soon to be upon us, I'd stick with ensuring at least both fronts are the same and in good condition, sports car or not.

it may be a cheaper option to replace BOTH fronts with a cheaper brand of tyre, and keep the decent expensive one you have until you can afford to match that up with another of the same type :shrug:

If you are really that skint Id be tempted to put the backs on the front so they are matched and then go with a cheapo replacement on the rear. Not ideal, but better than not being able to drive the car. :)

Rear tyres arent so important in FWD in my experience ........ :)

I would mix tyres on it, it will not cause any issues .

Are you a complete idiot? Do you have no comprehension on how tyres work? Sorry to sound harsh, but that's just the most stupid piece of advice I've heard on here in a long time.

If mixing tyres front and rear is bad, then just how suicidal do you have to be to have three different makes of tyre on one car?

Are you a complete idiot? Do you have no comprehension on how tyres work? Sorry to sound harsh, but that's just the most stupid piece of advice I've heard on here in a long time.

If mixing tyres front and rear is bad, then just how suicidal do you have to be to have three different makes of tyre on one car?

:scare::ban:

:lol:

With all due respect, I have worked for a major lease company for the past 5 years as a Fleet Controller, and I authorise in excess of £30,000 worth of tyres every day on various lease cars, varying from Aston Martin DB9's, Ferrari's to Fiat Pandas.

Please explain how mixing tyres on a 206 CC is going to make a difference with regards to handling or safety? It is a Peugeot 206 for the name of God, not a powerful RWD or AWD car.

I have access to every tyre technical bulletin from every car manufacturer, and I can assure you that Peugeot have no isues with mixing tyres on a 206. I'll even forward you the number for my contact at Peugeot technical if you wish to give them a call.

The reason why my previous post was not in much detail, is because I posted it from my mobile phone in work.

You are the idiot my friend. :lol:

With all due respect, I have worked for a major lease company for the past 5 years as a Fleet Controller, and I authorise in excess of £30,000 worth of tyres every day on various lease cars, varying from Aston Martin DB9's, Ferrari's to Fiat Pandas.

Please explain how mixing tyres on a 206 CC is going to make a difference with regards to handling or safety? It is a Peugeot 206 for the name of God, not a powerful RWD or AWD car.

I have access to every tyre technical bulletin from every car manufacturer, and I can assure you that Peugeot have no isues with mixing tyres on a 206. I'll even forward you the number for my contact at Peugeot technical if you wish to give them a call.

The reason why my previous post was not in much detail, is because I posted it from my mobile phone in work.

You are the idiot my friend. :lol:

Perhaps you would care to post up the lease company name as I am sure most members on here would want to know that when making their choice.

BTW, GLWS of your ZED.

Go on then. I'd be happy to speak to them, but an email address would be even better.

As soon as you mix tyres, you alter the balance of the car. Having two different different grip levels is bad enough, but three? And mixing across an axle? Sorry, but there's no way any manufacturer is going to recommend that last one in particular. It doesn't matter if it's a 206 or a Veyron, 70mph is still 70mph and accidents happen, and I certainly would want to give myself every chance of sorting the car out should an incident occur. Someone in your line of work really should know this, it's very basic stuff.

Is it not illegal in the Uk to mix tyres on an axle? We certainly aren't permitted to this end of the world, ticketable offence, pink sticker offence (remove from road until both tyres match on the axle).

I think all these threads are about mixing tyres front to back .... not mixing on same axle which would be utterly stoopid

Should be illegal to mix at all full 4 corners! Was looking at a mates new fwd car new tyres front... no name @*!# and continetals rear... this is from a dealer... car feels like a fart to drive in the dry and lethal in the wet!

That would be silly. A fwd car lethal in the wet? You either can't drive or your are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Should be illegal to mix at all full 4 corners! Was looking at a mates new fwd car new tyres front... no name @*!# and continetals rear... this is from a dealer... car feels like a fart to drive in the dry and lethal in the wet!

That would be silly. A fwd car lethal in the wet? You either can't drive or your are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

turbo fwd in wet with @*!# tyres is lethal wheel spin and torque steer, can drive and don't build mountains...

If one wheel of the driven axle loses traction some time before the other, that will cause all sorts of handling issues and certainly not do anything positive for being able to handle the car in adverse weather.

If the driven axle is also the one on which the steering takes place, you are asking a lot of the tyres in the first place to provide drive and maintain latteral grip when changing steering angle.

A tyre only has a finite ammount of "grip". This can be either all in the vertical plane and none in the horizontal, or all in the horizontal and none in the vertical. For every bit used in the horizontal plane, that same ammount is lost from the vertical.

Now if you consider acceleration out of a corner, grip will be required in the vertical (acceleration) and will therefore be removed from the horzontal. If that total ammount of grip/traction required exceeds the ammount the tyre has to offer, then its going to give up the horizontal grip and the tyre will want to be in a slide. If the two tyres on that same axle perform in the same manner then you can simply alter the steering angle to regain latteral grip. If they behave differently, then in the event of a slip it will be much harder to control.

Regardless of the power of a vehicle, the road surface and weather conditions can make any vehicle "too powerful" for the grip levels of a tyre.

I did not know that it was illegal to mix tyres across an axle in NZ, but I am assuming they haven't taken this decision in order to protect the revenue of people like dunlop and michelin.

Agreed^^. You say it handles like crap in the wet and rubbish in the dry. Is that because it has mixed tires or budgets on the front? When I got my 172 i had mixed tyres on it. There was no problems. Also new tyres should always go on the back of fwd cars.

If one wheel of the driven axle loses traction some time before the other, that will cause all sorts of handling issues and certainly not do anything positive for being able to handle the car in adverse weather.

If the driven axle is also the one on which the steering takes place, you are asking a lot of the tyres in the first place to provide drive and maintain latteral grip when changing steering angle.

A tyre only has a finite ammount of "grip". This can be either all in the vertical plane and none in the horizontal, or all in the horizontal and none in the vertical. For every bit used in the horizontal plane, that same ammount is lost from the vertical.

Now if you consider acceleration out of a corner, grip will be required in the vertical (acceleration) and will therefore be removed from the horzontal. If that total ammount of grip/traction required exceeds the ammount the tyre has to offer, then its going to give up the horizontal grip and the tyre will want to be in a slide. If the two tyres on that same axle perform in the same manner then you can simply alter the steering angle to regain latteral grip. If they behave differently, then in the event of a slip it will be much harder to control.

Regardless of the power of a vehicle, the road surface and weather conditions can make any vehicle "too powerful" for the grip levels of a tyre.

I did not know that it was illegal to mix tyres across an axle in NZ, but I am assuming they haven't taken this decision in order to protect the revenue of people like dunlop and michelin.

Enligt vägtrafikförordningen måste däcken på en och samma axel:

* vara av samma fabrikat

* ha samma dimension

* ha samma användningskategori (t.ex. landsväg, snö, terräng)

* ha samma uppbyggnadstyp (diagonal eller radial)

* tillhöra samma hastighetskategori (T, H, V, W...)

* ha samma lastförmåga

Above is what they state in Sweden so same there thats its not legal to have different type on different axle, also the MOT place can decide to fail abit whatever way the want if the tyres arent whats supossed to be on the car... :dummy:

Also new tyres should always go on the back of fwd cars.

Not necessarily. If it were me I'd put them on the fronts, simply because I would want more grip on the wheels moving the car as well as doing the steering. You may end up with a safer car your way as it would understeer with greater aplomb, but there's no real need to do it that way. :)

Not necessarily. If it were me I'd put them on the fronts, simply because I would want more grip on the wheels moving the car as well as doing the steering. You may end up with a safer car your way as it would understeer with greater aplomb, but there's no real need to do it that way. :)

Think there was a test done somewhere that they had a dummy car (little toy car) going down a hill with crap front tires and was 'braking' the car would eventually stop but when the crap tyres was rear the car would swing around during braking. Not sure now but think that was the gist of it...

No if you had more grip on the front you would push it more, rears would lose grip and your rear would spin out. Rears should always be in good condition on fwd cars.

Yes thats what Im saying Andlid, if you spin out on a fwd car its game over as you can usually steer out of it and there is no power at the rear wheels

No if you had more grip on the front you would push it more, rears would lose grip and your rear would spin out.

That was kind of my point. I'd rather have a car that was more lively with more front end grip, the same way I have my 350Z set up.

No if you had more grip on the front you would push it more, rears would lose grip and your rear would spin out.

That was kind of my point. I'd rather have a car that was more lively with more front end grip, the same way I have my 350Z set up.

Yes but In a 350 if you lost your back end you could floor it and steer yourself. If you lose the back end in a fwd car you cant really recover from it.