Good News and Bad News

cerealuk

Just got the good news that i have been accepted as a trainee Air Traffic Controller :teeth::teeth::teeth:

The bad news is it will involve a 84mile/day round trip and for the first 3 years I will be taking an uber paycut so don't think I will be able to afford to use the zed and may have to sell it and get a diesel *shudder* :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

The next intake isn't until October 2011 so I have a year of zedding yet :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Just trying to work out whether to try and save enough to run the zed through the first 3 years of training (after which point running costs become irrelevant and I buy a 370z).. or whether to be sensible and get a tractor..

decisions...

Just get a little runaround and use ot for work. I did the same thing and am saving £100 per month in petrol, I keep the zed for fun at weekends. :)

+1

My runner has paid for itself, best thing I ever done.

Another second car vote from me. Did something similar a while ago. Only snag is insuring two cars, most companies won't entertain it, but as I recall direct line have a policy which applies your NCB to both cars.

I brought a saxo diesel for £500, gave it a solid service ran it for 12 months, when I was in a fuel saving mood I could hit an average of 75MPG over a week, when driving 'normally' I averaged 65 MPG. Had no problems whatsoever.

Tarted it up and sold it 1 year later for £700!

Aye shed is sounding like an option, however i can see a problem..

Get up to go to work... walk outside.. see a shed and a zed... I'm just gonna end up saying "ok ill just drive the zed once this week" then "hmm maybe twice"...

Will have to look at the various multicar options (thanks for the info thus far). it may be that actually buying/maintaining a shed is the same cost as just shelling out on the extra petrol/tyres/servicing on the zed

Aye shed is sounding like an option, however i can see a problem..

Get up to go to work... walk outside.. see a shed and a zed... I'm just gonna end up saying "ok ill just drive the zed once this week" then "hmm maybe twice"...

Will have to look at the various multicar options (thanks for the info thus far). it may be that actually buying/maintaining a shed is the same cost as just shelling out on the extra petrol/tyres/servicing on the zed

Exactly! I looked at diesel motors when I had the Lambo, but I knew in my heart of hearts that I would never ever get in the sootchucker ahead of the G!!

The saving is negligible, if at all in my opinion...............especially at only 84 miles a day, thats not that bad really.....

Aye shed is sounding like an option, however I can see a problem..

Shed or Zed ?

Exactly

A stock 98 MK2 MX-5, good fun little car I could park anywhere and not worry about it, now its track ready, on its ass, cut slicks, roll bar, supercharged, weighing in @ 995kg, running 204bhp with 192 torques :teeth: I will be doing a build thread when I`m finished but still lots of work to be done ;)

A stock 98 MK2 MX-5, good fun little car I could park anywhere and not worry about it, now its track ready, on its ass, cut slicks, roll bar, supercharged, weighing in @ 995kg, running 204bhp with 192 torques :teeth: I will be doing a build thread when I`m finished but still lots of work to be done ;)

Awesome. People discount them as 'hairdressers cars' but they are total weapons. No other car will teach you about oversteer in such a friendly safe manner while still being able to achieve 40mpg :) I drove a supercharged mk2 on track a few years ago, loved it.

Congrats on the job - I am doing that sort of commute 120 miles per day round trip - in the Zed it almost bankrupted me - buy a cheapo car to take the strain - infact buy a high miler FSH ex company car of some sort and use that instead.

(Or buy a 1973 camper! ahem :ninja: )

ATC are only part timers anyway!

My cousin (much older than me!) has been an ATC for all my life!

He works at this place (stolen from wiki as I wasn't sure the exact naming) - The Prestwick Centre, Ayrshire, is home to the Scottish Area Control Centre (including, since January 2010, the former Manchester Area Control Centre), which controls traffic over Scotland, Northern Ireland, and up to FL285 over the northern half of England, and the Prestwick Oceanic Area Control Centre which provides a procedural control service for traffic crossing the North Atlantic via the Shanwick Oceanic Control Area.

From what I can remember they control the air traffic over a large area before passing off to local ATC. Stressful job and the hours they are allowed to work reflect that. Best of luck.

The Zed is just a car, another can easily be bought later if you struggle to keep it.

ATC are only part timers anyway!

My cousin (much older than me!) has been an ATC for all my life!

He works at this place (stolen from wiki as I wasn't sure the exact naming) - The Prestwick Centre, Ayrshire, is home to the Scottish Area Control Centre (including, since January 2010, the former Manchester Area Control Centre), which controls traffic over Scotland, Northern Ireland, and up to FL285 over the northern half of England, and the Prestwick Oceanic Area Control Centre which provides a procedural control service for traffic crossing the North Atlantic via the Shanwick Oceanic Control Area.

From what I can remember they control the air traffic over a large area before passing off to local ATC. Stressful job and the hours they are allowed to work reflect that. Best of luck.

The Zed is just a car, another can easily be bought later if you struggle to keep it.

Ah righty, I will be at Swanwick near Southampton (The centre which handles everything south of the Prestwick handover boundary) :thumbs:

Aye no matter how I do the math, I'm going to have to sell the zed and spend <£5k on a comfortable diesel as I need something cheap to run but at the same time it's got to be reliable. To give you an idea of how tight it will be, the first year only pays £13k :headhurt:

• 1 month later...

Got some good news today.. I've been skipped ahead in the course due to a drop out and will be starting in 3 weeks... The even better news is as Im starting early and the college hasn't yet moved, I will for the first year be based only 7 miles away from home so wont have to sell the Zed :teeth::teeth::teeth:

Year 2 there will be no avoiding the journey as ill be at Swanwick but the wages get a little bit more sensible then so may be able to keep it long term aswell :)