Newbie contemplating a Z

Wayne

Hi guys,

Doing a bit of market research just now into my next car! I've currently got an EK9 Civic Type R which is great but hankering after something RWD and a bit less frantic. Main contenders are a Z3M, S2000 and a 350Z. I've done a lot of research into the S2k and Z3M and neither is the perfect solution - the Z3M is quite old and has no TC which in winter or with the other half driving would be dangerous. The S2000 insurance is ridiculous.

I'm looking for a car that is a nice place to sit in, will be ok for commuting (although it is approximately 8 miles away half town driving) a laugh when it needs to be and not rape me on maintenance/breaking down. I also like the idea of track days but I'm yet to manage to make one! I'll be doing no more than 7k a year.

So basically I'm going to read the FAQ's etc. and get a gauge for the 350Z to see if it is for me or not but I was just curious to see how much 350Z's are selling for currently? I'd prefer a UK model with the GT pack in black, azure or red. I've noticed a mix of imports and lower end of the market hanging around the £8k mark. How much would you expect to get a clean UK model for? Also what would be the balance between mileage and age? E.g. there is a 54 plate with 35k at an independent dealer for £11k (is this a good price?) or would it be better to hold for a main dealer or later car with higher miles?

Final question is fuel - around town will it go below 20mpg frequently? Could be a thirsty investment! Although the mrs and I do have an 09 Fiesta ZS which does 40+mpg everywhere.

Cheers,

Out of the 3 I would choose the Zed but im probably a bit biased..

I was a civic type R owner and didnt enjoy thrashing the guts out of it, I think its pretty similar in the S2K tbh, The Z3M would be nice for the missus ;)

I wouldnt even bother worrying about MPG, You dont do many miles and you have a Fiesta so your sorted :thumbs:

Good luck with your decision :thumbs: Im sure you will be more than happy if you pick the Zed

hi. i don't use mine (55 GT) for commuting but on a couple of motorway trips i have done it is a v.pleasant place to be, eats up the miles. but also fun on country roads. however nothing like the feel of my bro's mx5 which is more raw and almost more fun, even though only tiny engine. however i might get flamed for saying that and i've only had it 2 weeks so haven't had a chance to take it to the limit yet...oh and it sounds amazing!

i live in london and it averages about 15-16mpg around town with a slightly heavy foot. but after a couple of motorway trips my average is now just over 20mpg, including a lot of around-town stuff.

i'm very happy with mine and only negative is i don't get enough chances to drive it.

:welcome: to the forum,

I have recently been in a S2k and a Z4 and after having the Zed they do feel a little crampt, as for mpg I do a fair few miles, in and out of town and I am averaging about 24-28 mpg....though I dont drive like I am on fire (very often) nor as though I am 90 :lol:

Zed is a Good choice.... just go get your self a test drive :thumbs:

welcome

i have just bought a zed recently

prices trade when i was looking recently was about -

06 plate 27k miles £13990

04 plate 43k miles £11500 - £12500

05 plate 40k miles £12500 - £13500

03 plates 40k miles £9995 - £10995

there are bargains about , some good ones on here too.

MPG i get around 22mpg around town.

think the z will suit you , they turn heads everywhere and like some other forum member stated recently 'woman gyrate on your bonnet at the lights' :teeth::lol:

Sounds like the 350Z will be a good choice for your needs. I personally prefer the Z3M and S2000 in terms of desirability to the 350Z however the Z3M will cost a lot more to run than the 350Z and be less reliable. S2000 are epic cars when on full chat but daily can be wearing. Also (having owned a Z3M coupe for 3 years) I found the cabin to be too cramped and was really the main reason for sale and its even worse in the S2000. The Z3M also will need the suspension to be sorted out if you intend to track it as will an early S2000. The 350Z is a much better car for everything apart from going flat out, which you can't really do on public roads so it sounds like it fits your needs the best of the 3 cars you have listed. I'd say go for it (the 350Z)

Insurance on the S2000 is high for a reason, lots of people crash them in the wet.

Best thing to do is drive them all and see what YOU think.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yea the S2000 does seem to go off road quite a bit. I can't tell if that is the drivers or the car though and wouldn't like to say! Am I right in saying 350Z will have TC as standard? I've not read into the toys etc. they come with yet!

With the CTR I do enjoy vtec but I think going forward I would prefer a less frantic experience which I think the 350Z will offer. Had the S2000 worked out noticeably cheaper than the 350Z and I would have been tempted but a 350 with £500 saved each year on insurance for fuel seemed almost like a no brainer once I'd done my figures. S2000 does have a soft top though.

Budget wise I'd like to go for as cheap as possible without buying a rubbish one, that is where the S wins as I could get a decent one for £8k however they are depreciating like crazy. I think an extra £2-3k would be worth it as the residuals look a bit better on the 350 for a well looked after motor.

Heya,

I wanted similar stuff to you coming from a big power RX7 and previous to that an EP3 Civic type R JDM. I have had an S2000 also. I can thoroughly recomend the 350z convertible its a lovely car to drive, relaxed yet very very fun to hussle. Engine is great and fuel economy is much better than I expected. I am often seeing 30+ mpg and average around 25 I guess. I have seen 16.5mpg but that was pure hammering. Its a very easy car to live with and unlike other convertibles it has a ton of room in for the driver and passenger. I love the car already and I really like the fact that even when I am trying to get good economy and driving carefully its still an enjoyable experience. Best soft top I have owned by a long way.

Ant.

Had a think about the convertibles as they do look good with the roof down and I've heard good things about them but I'm not a fan of them with the soft top up and living in Scotland it would be up a lot!

Forgot to add the other option would be a 2.7 Boxster but age and reliability go against it.

I'm trying to decide if I should just get one now(ish) or if I should wait until April next year (post winter).