New Machine

srobrien

Well after a few weeks of pootering around in the girlfriends 1.4 corsa, I finally picked up my new car yesterday.

A 2007 E92 M3 with 15k on the clock in Jerez black with a 4.0 ltr V8 and 414 bhp in reserve.

First impressions are WOW, its such a beast, I though the 350z was supersonic after stepping out of the 318i but this thing flies, the v8 keeps on pulling and pulling all the way through to 8500 revs!, not a kick up the arse turbo feeling but very similar liniar power delivery to the zed except the numbers shoot up towards the scary end of the spectrum a LOT quicker.

The noise is beautiful, where the zed was a deep growl the M3 is a higher pitched more mechanical sound, not too far removed from the E46's straight six.

Fuel consumption (if I keep my finger off the "m" button) is fairly similar to the zed, currently reading 21mpg but im assumming that this is pretty optamisitic. If I give her some beans though I am sure I can actually see the petrol needle moving, no joke.

Exterior wise although the paint is called jerez black, under strip light it is more of a dark blue but in natural light it is black. Paint quality, although BMW are usually quite generous with their paint thickness it suffers from orange peel all over which really ruins it for me I may have to break out the wetsander and give her a mirror finish.

Interior quality is superb, every panel is covered in high quality leather, seats are adjustable in every way imaginable, seriously comfy. Trim feels solid and even the rear passangers are treated well with heaps of cubbies and aircon.

The one I have has a few of the gadgets, not all of them but enough to keep my fingers busy. The idrive system is brilliant, don't listen to that fanny clarkson, using it is childsplay and opens up so much more options that you would have without it. For example you can use it to set a timer for your heating to come on or to change lighting and engine management settings. My favourite gadget has to be the "belt butler" a little robotic arm the springs out and hands you your seatbelt..the little things :lol:

Overall I feel this was the right choice of car for me at the moment, meets performance, luxury and practicallity needs and looks the part more of a sleeper than the zed was, if you didn't know your BMW's you would probably just mistake it for an average 3 series, I was used to getting attention in the zed but sometimes it felt like you were driving a glass box, prefer to be a little more discrete in my old age (27 :lol:),

Here are a few pics from the garage, I will update it with some new ones when I get her a wash and polish....oh and fit some CF goodies :lol:

R

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

My mate changed from his Zed to a 57 plate BMW 335 TDI, and although it frikken quick, he just had a "Check-Up Service" at BMW and it cost him £300 at BMW.

He's going there because it's still under warranty. Asked him how much a major service would be, but even he didn't want to know, lol

My mate did the same thing,and upgraded to an E92 M3,and its stunning. Its dark blue (Interlargos i think) with black wheels. Its amazingly fast,and sound great,though not in the traditional V8 sense,its much more mechanical as you said,and higher revving. (I prefer the Merc V8 for sound). Good luck with the fuel,on a run from Brackley to Goodwood,we averaged 19mpg,and that was cruising most of the way on dual carriageway and motorway. We filled up as he picked me up,and as he dropped me off,he filled up again. But then you buy cars like that for the fuel consumption,good on you.