Any 'bobbies' to confirm something???

Stew

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wont break the overtinme budget for him to actually read up on the law he was enforcing. Or at least attempting to enforce.

Actually, id be inclined to go down to the police station with the NIP, and state that you wish to report the crime of attempting to extort money via means of deception or intimidation.

He is advising you to pay a fine and abusing his position of authority in an attempt to do so.

Its only a few months behind bars, surely not going to break the bank for someone who has as much spare time as this cump... ;)

What is the actual charge on the notice Stew. If your plate is the right size you cant comply by changing it. I would take a pic and e-mail it to the local police and ask for a explanation,

As for his attitude it annoys the hell out of me. Guys like this do no good for promoting good relations with the police. I still have a letter from out chief constable ripping me up for being cheeky. I was stopped at 4 am on the way back from work. When asked why I was out at this time I said I had been working. The officer said it was a strange time to be working. I replied why, you are.

Nasty letter. :shrug:

Offence code - 318003 - whatever that is????

Offence

NAMELY (specify)

REGISTRATION PLATE SIZE INCORRECT

In that case run with it all the way to court. Sure, they'll probably get you on the mis-spacing, but then they could do that anyway and you won't be any worse off than you are now (remember, they'll have to issue a separate ticket for that offence which they can't mention in court in relation to the current 'offence'). Honestly, don't pay up and don't bother going down the station, take it all the way and wait for the look on his face when the judge/magistrate/sheriff/whatever they have in Scotland rips him a new one for being a complete idiot.

Been doing some googling and found this. A more sensible approach IMO.

Whils I was gathering evidence to resolve my own licence plate problem I was advised by a chief Inspector now Chief Superintendent that a FPN is an acceptable response from a policeman it is more normal and recommended by him that a VDRN (vehicle defect rectification notice) is issued, this requires you to take your vehicle for testing at an MOT station and if they declare your plates to be unlawful have them changed. Then present the clearing note from the MOT station to the Police station. Doing it this way solves the problem of the Policeman needing to know the exact regulations or make detailed notes or photograph the plates

Been doing some googling and found this. A more sensible approach IMO.

Whils I was gathering evidence to resolve my own licence plate problem I was advised by a chief Inspector now Chief Superintendent that a FPN is an acceptable response from a policeman it is more normal and recommended by him that a VDRN (vehicle defect rectification notice) is issued, this requires you to take your vehicle for testing at an MOT station and if they declare your plates to be unlawful have them changed. Then present the clearing note from the MOT station to the Police station. Doing it this way solves the problem of the Policeman needing to know the exact regulations or make detailed notes or photograph the plates

That's what happened to me a last year and IMO is the correct way to do it ........ get a plate with the 'BS AU 145d' stamp on it and then there's no argument .....it's legal ........ and yes you can get undersized plates that are legal as everyone has said

I have no problem sending away my docs to get a BS plate in the same size. My issue (as it's always been) is him telling me the plate size is illegal when according to the people that make the law it's not.

I go away on hols for most of the 28 days. My Mum said she'll look after it though and pay the fine if the advice we receive is to put up and shut up. If not then it's open season.

I still want to know how they intend summoning me to court with the wrong name on the form????

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just an update for those interested.

Went to Grampian Police Headquarters today to get the regulations to ensure I confirm to the law when I get the new plates ordered. Surprise, surprise it's the same as the ones myself and others on here have posted up. So I was all chuffed that the idiot bobbie was wrong - Moral victory! At this point I skipped merrily round to Aberdeen Sheriff Court to pay my fine (decided it was far easier to pay £30 and get the t**ser off my back.) I handed over my ticket and they tried to process it. 'Sorry sir, it's not in the system' Well is there anything else I can do? Nope. Superb! I got them to take a copy of the ticket and write down that I attempted to make the payment today.

Anyway, called Grampians Finest just now and spoke to someone who checked the computer. She said no crime had been listed against me but another officer wanted a statement about an accident in my works car park....

Anyway, the fixed penalty people will call me tomorrow to tell me what the situation is, I don't want to be chased for non payment of a fine.

I've been away but had no messages on mobile or home phones or emails from the copper in question to say anything about it. Also, his 'evidence' that I requested a copy of has never materialised.

So a wasted trip into town with parking..... Oh well, just something else to add to my letter of complaint about this orifice that'll be sent to his commanding officer.

At the moment I'm very happy that justice has been done (or not as the case is!) and I have to look forward to two calls from officers tomorrow!

You are correct.

So I believe he's either gone through the whole exercise to:

A) 'put the sh*ts up me' in which case he's wasted police time.

B) Realised he's wrong so not processed the ticket in which case he's wasted police time.

C) Has processed the ticket wrongly in which case he's wasted police time.

Anyway I believe this is a victory to me and will gloat on this for quite a while. :teeth:

Told you he wouldn't bother filing it :yahoo:

Glad to see my tax pounds at work!

You run about making sure kids don't get preggers and drain the state forever (worthwhile) and he runs about in his police car handing out tickets wrongly and then not filing them (not worthwhile!)