350 Questions from Hopeful Owner

Hubbs

Hello everyone, newbie here and hoping to own a 350z next yr if all goes well :)

Just have some questions if you guys can help me....hope this is the right section for this :)

1. What would be the roundabout cost of a regular service (estimate) and a more expensive service? eg. 6yr service (estimate)

2. I have some 18'' Zigen GN Pro alloys, +48 offset, will they fit on a 350z?

3. I have heard of the Japanese import 350 and that its auto,

A. Can you get a 3.5 V6 Jap import auto?

B. If so would it be as fast as the UK 3.5 V6 man? as it is auto,

C. Any difference between the two engine or interior wise?

D. Is it true you get cheaper road tax on an import car? (presumably the Jap 350 would come under this)

E. Would insurance be cheaper with the Jap import?

F. Would the 350 be cheaper to maintain/service than other Jap high performance cars eg. Evo, Subaru, Skyline, Type-R etc..

Hope Im not asking too many questions :) just trying to narrow things down abit before I make the leap hehe Im kinda pondering an Impreza too you see (big Jap car fan, currently own Honda Accord...slightly modded)

Thanks for any help :teeth:

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :thumbs:

As said, most of the questions and answers are already on here somewhere, so try a search. Import v UK has been done loads of times and the JDM section should help you out (eg viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1781); also, check the servicing section for prices that people pay for servicing.

Good luck in your search for a 350 :thumbs:

Hello everyone, newbie here and hoping to own a 350z next yr if all goes well :)

Just have some questions if you guys can help me....hope this is the right section for this :)

1. What would be the roundabout cost of a regular service (estimate) and a more expensive service? eg. 6yr service (estimate)

2. I have some 18'' Zigen GN Pro alloys, +48 offset, will they fit on a 350z?

3. I have heard of the Japanese import 350 and that its auto,

A. Can you get a 3.5 V6 Jap import auto?

B. If so would it be as fast as the UK 3.5 V6 man? as it is auto,

C. Any difference between the two engine or interior wise?

D. Is it true you get cheaper road tax on an import car? (presumably the Jap 350 would come under this)

E. Would insurance be cheaper with the Jap import?

F. Would the 350 be cheaper to maintain/service than other Jap high performance cars eg. Evo, Subaru, Skyline, Type-R etc..

Hope Im not asking too many questions :) just trying to narrow things down abit before I make the leap hehe Im kinda pondering an Impreza too you see (big Jap car fan, currently own Honda Accord...slightly modded)

Welcome along to the forum Hubbs :thumbs:

maybe able to help you out on a few of those questions, but probably stand to be corrected:

A. yes you can get an auto with a Jap import but not a UK car

B. There probably as fast in a straight line but maybe not so quick as there only 5-speed

C. There are 3different variants in engine, (use the search button) interior was enhance on the later models (2006 I believe)

D. not sure about the jap cars, thought it was on age

E. generally insurance is more on imported cars

F. Depends whether modified or not & the milage you maybe covering

Hope this helps a little, I`m sure there will be others along shortly with some more accurate answers :thumbs:

3D. Very much doubt that road tax is cheaper than UK cars, if anything potentially more expensive for imports because the road tax is based upon the year that the car was registered in the UK rather than when it was built, so a new import of a 2003 would be a lot more expensive road tax wise than a 2003 imported prior to 2006.

my car is a 2006 import but i only pay tax for the year it was made i.e.2003 the rules have changed as so many people complained i belive, so tax is same as uk spec. I tryed an auto before i bought a manual, seemed just as quick but not as fun to drive :drive1, insurance is £50 more due to it being an import (altho i seem to have rather cheap insurance compaired with some ppl's :p )

Looks wise i dont think an evo or subaru etc come close but for all out speed your better off with one of them(if you can handle the 3000mile service intervals for an evo!)

Just did a P1 service i.e. change oil and filter £30 and check everything else is ok.

my car is a 2006 import but i only pay tax for the year it was made i.e.2003 the rules have changed as so many people complained i belive, so tax is same as uk spec.

Are you sure the rules have changed? The DirectGov web site still catagorically states that road tax is based upon date of first registration in the UK for a car that has been previously registered in another country. Was yours registered before 23rd March?

Mines a UK 2004, just paid £245 for the year.

My 2.0 MR2 (1996) was pretty much the same tax as the 350 (UK too)

As for power, It all depends how new the 350 you get is, the basic rule is the newer the more power.....

Upto 2005/6 - VQ35DE engine - 276bhp

then there was the VQ35HR (High Rev) engine - 296bhp

And then the newest models are 313bhp (I think still VQ35HR, correct me if wrong?)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

1. What would be the roundabout cost of a regular service (estimate) £150-300and a more expensive service? eg. 6yr service (estimate) £250-500- really hard to say - depends where you go and what parts you use

2. I have some 18'' Zigen GN Pro alloys, +48 offset, will they fit on a 350z? haven't a scooby but am sure the wheel gurus will be along soon

3. I have heard of the Japanese import 350 and that its auto, some are some aren't

A. Can you get a 3.5 V6 Jap import auto? yup

B. If so would it be as fast as the UK 3.5 V6 man? as it is auto,maybe in straight line - but not as much fun surely?!!

C. Any difference between the two engine or interior wise? check out the jap specs thread

D. Is it true you get cheaper road tax on an import car? (presumably the Jap 350 would come under this)yes rules have changed - so goes on year of manufacture

E. Would insurance be cheaper with the Jap import?not necessarily

F. Would the 350 be cheaper to maintain/service than other Jap high performance cars eg. Evo, Subaru, Skyline, Type-R etc..haven't a scooby - not owned any other jap cars........

Hi Mate

The maintainance issue depends i think on how you drive your car, the zed is not turbo'ed therefore issues regarding these can be discarded. The V6 in my eyes is a solid engine. I had a Rx-8 before and there are more issues regarding their wankel engines. I personally have a Jap spec car and have loved driving her, unfortunately im selling as i want to move on to something just as ferocious lol.

All the best mate and enjoy the zed, there are too many scoobies and evos going around,

R :D

:welcome: to the forum mate. Looks like your questions are answered. The auto is a good cruiser but if you after fun it has to be the 6sp manual box! If you get an import try and make sure it has brembo brakes :thumbs:

Thanks for all the info guys,

Really I just gotta know about the Jap auto and UK man, Im curious about the Jap auto (3.5 V6 only) and why its auto and only 5speed? how come the UK version is man and 6speed? surely the Jap version is slower overall no? acceleration?

As its pure Japanese I would of thought the import would be better than the UK man, the Japs know what they're doing when building super saloons hehe

Im more used to driving auto but I do have a man license, also being London an auto does make life easier hehe....just need to know which is faster ;)

Im also confused with the engine specs...

And then the newest models are 313bhp

I wanna get a 3.5 V6, if I can 06 upwards but it depends on cost of course but I didn't know there were so many engine variants. The 313bhp Im guessing would be 09 onwards? or 10, surely there can't be much difference between the 276 and 296? and would any of this even figure on a Jap 3.5 V6 version? or does age matter with the Jap ones too?

As for maintenance I would be going to Abbey for everything probably..unless the dealer is ok and doesn't rip me off like Honda do/did grrrr

Currently with Adrian Flux for insurance, cheapest quote yet was £830 from someone on gocompare (can't remember), Im 32 and have 11yrs NCB with a clean license, anyone reckon I can do better?? I can't believe the age of some of the owners here!! so young and with such high performance cars!!! surely you must pay tonnes!!? my friend at work had a scooby R32 special edition, he's 35, good clean license and was paying about £900 odd, you guys must know some good companies :teeth: do tell.

Don't all 350's come with Brembo's?? :headhurt:

Still need a wheel freak to help me with the 5Zigen's ;) offset +48? surely they would :teeth:

Basically the 296bhp sounds good, sounds about right, liking that as I doubt I can afford anything too new, would that be about 07?? brembo's? Jap auto? anything I may need to check or know? :)

:)

Thanks for all the info guys,

Really I just gotta know about the Jap auto and UK man, Im curious about the Jap auto (3.5 V6 only) and why its auto and only 5speed? how come the UK version is man and 6speed? surely the Jap version is slower overall no? acceleration?

As its pure Japanese I would of thought the import would be better than the UK man, the Japs know what they're doing when building super saloons hehe

Im more used to driving auto but I do have a man license, also being London an auto does make life easier hehe....just need to know which is faster ;)

Im also confused with the engine specs...

And then the newest models are 313bhp

I wanna get a 3.5 V6, if I can 06 upwards but it depends on cost of course but I didn't know there were so many engine variants. The 313bhp Im guessing would be 09 onwards? or 10, surely there can't be much difference between the 276 and 296? and would any of this even figure on a Jap 3.5 V6 version? or does age matter with the Jap ones too?

As for maintenance I would be going to Abbey for everything probably..unless the dealer is ok and doesn't rip me off like Honda do/did grrrr

Currently with Adrian Flux for insurance, cheapest quote yet was £830 from someone on gocompare (can't remember), Im 32 and have 11yrs NCB with a clean license, anyone reckon I can do better?? I can't believe the age of some of the owners here!! so young and with such high performance cars!!! surely you must pay tonnes!!? my friend at work had a scooby R32 special edition, he's 35, good clean license and was paying about £900 odd, you guys must know some good companies :teeth: do tell.

Don't all 350's come with Brembo's?? :headhurt:

Still need a wheel freak to help me with the 5Zigen's ;) offset +48? surely they would :teeth:

Basically the 296bhp sounds good, sounds about right, liking that as I doubt I can afford anything too new, would that be about 07?? brembo's? Jap auto? anything I may need to check or know? :)

:)

Having not read any of the previous replies I'll probably be repeating stuff.

The Auto was a jap only option. Not all jap imports are auto but all autos are jap imports! ;) Apparently it drives very well and has the ability to do 'manual' changes tiptronically. I've never driven one as they don't interest me. No idea which is faster but I can guess which one is the better driver overall....

276 is pre 06 (except GT4s)

296 is 06-07 - higher revving but less torque)

309 is 07+ (bulgy bonnet and twin intakes)

All 350Zs came with a 3.5 V6 (except the 380RS before someone comments)

All UK 350Zs come with brembos on import models the S and ST do (I'm sure...) but others don't. Spec questions are easily answered by reading the FAQs and JDM section.

You might have clearance issues with a +48 offset and it'll look crap! Some spacers might sort wheels out if they are proper sizes though - sorry didn't catch the size!)

Again check the FAQs for anything you need to look for when buying a car and if you see a model and want a few opinions then post it up here.

^ OK cheers :)

alloys are 18'' 5Zigen GN Pro's, +48 and I do have spacers. Look crap you say!! :( how come? stick out too much? rub on the arch aswell? I have noticed the 350 wheels are inset, would look better flush methinks but Im not gonna mess with it this time, if the Zigens don't fit then no matter.

The 296 high rev 07 sounds good, Im thinkin that right now :) just one question, is that a UK spec only or is 296HR available on Jap spec (auto)?

Do all 350's come with the LED rear lights or HID headlights? they look nice and gotta be on :)

Also, is it worth getting spacers for the wheels? one thing I have noticed about the Z is the wheels look alittle inset which kinda takes away from the agressive look, also the tyres seem a touch chunky, not that low profile looking, shame.

Would spacers work well instead of new alloys with different offsets? would be cheaper hehe