S2K First proper Clean

rtbiscuit

I got my S2k nearly 4 weeks ago, but i haven't had time till this weekend to really give it a full clean. the car has been really well maintained and washed on a regular basis; sadly the previous owner didn't know much about car care and the paint was very badly swirled; not only that but the garage i bought it from had given it a go over with a machine buffer, and i could see exaclty where they had been.

so todays job was to try and restore the paint as much as possible and give the car back some shine.

TIME TAKEN:6 Hours

PRODUCTS USED AND THE ORDER USED:

- Renovo vinyl roof cleaner sponged on

- renovo vinyl roof protector sponged on

- megs nxt car shampoo with lambs wool mit

- megs claybar and DODO born slippy

- megs swirl x

- DODO lime and prime lite

- DODO supernatural wax

- DODO red mist

- PIAA screen Cleaner

- PIAA Screen Protectant

- Megs tyre gel

- poor boys leather care

I tried to take some pictures to show how bad the swirls were and how dirty it had got. i had already done the roof before i rememebered the camera, so sadly you cant see the improvement the renovo made to the roof, but it is extrememly good stuff.

the worst swirled areas on the car were the rear boot and the bonnet.

P1010331.jpg

P1010332.jpg

P1010333.jpg

P1010334.jpg

P1010335.jpg

as you can see there are some small wear patches on the roof, but on the whole doesn;t look bad for an 8 year old roof

P1010336.jpg

P1010337.jpg

these pictures were all after the first wash and clay; as you can see the the paint still needs some work.

P1010338.jpg

P1010339.jpg

P1010340.jpg

the finished article with some reflection shots to show how clean the paint work is now.

P1010341.jpg

P1010342.jpg

P1010343.jpg

P1010344.jpg

P1010345.jpg

P1010346.jpg

as you can see there is some swirling still left but alot less than before

P1010347.jpg

P1010349.jpg

My new investment of PIAA wiper Blades; these things worked wonders with my Zed so i had to get them for the S2K, have also moved on from Rainex and have just put on my first coats of PIAA fluids. must admit it was far easier to apply and buff clean than the rainx. look forward to seeing how well it all works.

P1010348.jpg

overall i have been really impressed with the finish and it has made a mssive difference to the finish of the car. the boot has come up fantastic and there are no more swirls what so ever, the bonnet on the other hand is miles better but still needs some more work, i might have to go and see a professional to get it properly machine polished. but the swirls are alot better.

the super natural wax is as always awesome, its the first time i've used to on a dark colour and was unsure how well it would work but have to say its payed for its self.

Looking good, need to get rid of those swirl marks and it will look like new! Top stuff! :thumbs:

totally agree, complete swirl removal is my primary goal, to be honest they are only really left on the bonnet, the rest of the car is almost clear.

looks like i'm gonna get some black hole from poor boys then.

don't know what they washed it with before me but i'm sure it involved sand paper and grit. :lol:

i will eventually get it to prisitine, but it will take a couple of goes.

the swirlx worked well, but just couldn't cope with the bonnet.

will i need to remove all the wax again before putting the black hole on,

looking good there man, good effort, how you manage to get it looking so good when the sun is out, i always end up with white dots and lines where the sun dries the water on. i think i am just rubbish at cleaning the car tbh, need to get myself some decent detailing equipment me thinks.

Yes rich, you'd probably be best off leavin the car for a few weeks letting the wax wear off naturally, then the easiest way to remove wax afterwards is to put some APC in with the snow foam, if you haven't got snow foam, put a little in with your was bucket and that should help take off the remainder of the wax.

Then apply your black hole and wax on top of that.

looking good there man, good effort, how you manage to get it looking so good when the sun is out, i always end up with white dots and lines where the sun dries the water on. i think i am just rubbish at cleaning the car tbh, need to get myself some decent detailing equipment me thinks.

waffle weave drying towel ;)

Yes rich, you'd probably be best off leavin the car for a few weeks letting the wax wear off naturally, then the easiest way to remove wax afterwards is to put some APC in with the snow foam, if you haven't got snow foam, put a little in with your was bucket and that should help take off the remainder of the wax.

Then apply your black hole and wax on top of that.

thanks for the info; will give it ago and post up the results

As long as you rinse the car after washing it leaving plenty of water on the body work, going over it after with a rubber water squeedgie thing then use a drying towel, you should have no water marks.

google is my friend :) or can you recommend somewhere to buy some?

google is my friend :) or can you recommend somewhere to buy some?

envy valeting on here is where i got most of my stuff, think there are several other detail suppliers; have a browse on here

Envy Valeting are brilliant and Tims service is first class.

Matt at i4detailing does good stuff - discount code available from the team.

Andy from Kudos Automove also does Dodo and Megs mainstream stuff.

As long as you rinse the car after washing it leaving plenty of water on the body work, going over it after with a rubber water squeedgie thing then use a drying towel, you should have no water marks.

That's actually pretty bad technique dude, the more water you leave on, the more water you gotta dry off the car, and rubber water dispensers are a big swirl cause as it drags along the paint, best tip for drying your car is spray some quick detailer on the car when it's wet before drying, as it acts as an aid