Exhaust prices a real "blow"!

haylabamba

Hi all,

Please forgive the no doubt oft-used pun above!

My 03 plate 350Z's exhaust is blowing quite badly. Tried the local exhaust centres (I'm in Southampton) and pretty much all referred me to the main Nissan dealer or quoted crazy waiting times.

The main dealer is quoting for nearly £200 for a centre box and a further £372 for the rear box. An "all in" fixed price of £817!! Yikes......

Before I start and ebay trawl etc. I wondered if anyone could suggest any alternatives. Happy to consider non-standard cat backs ( I don't pretend to understand them) etc.

Any help and guidance much appreciated.

Richard :)

The good news, you could get something really serious for the Nissan price. The traders on here can help you out with a better system for about 350 quid. Alternatively there are a number of owners who have upgraded and have their old exhausts gathering dust in their garages, you can normally get them for a very good price. :)

Had a good read of the section and am probably even more confused! Ideally I want to avoid having to mod to avoid fitting issues. I've looked on the trading post but didn't see any second hand ones going. Maybe time to post a wanted ad? But given some of the comments already (many thanks). I like the sound of spending say £350 to £400 to get something decent fitted.

Anyone know of someone who does fitting in the Southampton area?

Thought my exhaust had gone to, its been blowing for a week or so anyways had a 'spare' and fitted it, BUT the reason for the noise was in actual fact a gasket...ie £3:00. However having swapped an original JDM system for a UK system its well worth it, the UK system does sound different...better, not real louder but more rorpy much nicer. If you decide to change it yourself ( why wouldn't you!!) make sure you have some new nuts M10 fine pitch....and gaskets 2.5" dia. (4 gaskets £10 and 50 nuts £10 ebay) save yourself and do it yourself.

i left my old jdm one with planetperformance garage near glasgow, been kickin about there for a few weeks if u want you could probs get it off them cheap(it was in gd nick). But ur better off geting a new one as they make the engine sound soooo much better! help a bit in bhp dept aswell! :thumbs:

Thought my exhaust had gone to, its been blowing for a week or so anyways had a 'spare' and fitted it, BUT the reason for the noise was in actual fact a gasket...ie £3:00. However having swapped an original JDM system for a UK system its well worth it, the UK system does sound different...better, not real louder but more rorpy much nicer. If you decide to change it yourself ( why wouldn't you!!) make sure you have some new nuts M10 fine pitch....and gaskets 2.5" dia. (4 gaskets £10 and 50 nuts £10 ebay) save yourself and do it yourself.

Or of course you can get the gaskets here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31540 :thumbs:

Hi All

Many thanks for the advice. CS has sorted me with a Scorpion which I can't wait to receive and get fitted.

Sounds like I should get a nice sound from it and save over £500 against replacing like for like with the stock exhaust.

Happy days! :teeth:

I was in the exact situation you were in chap.

CS whipped me a Scorpion over, and I'm very happy with it.

Fitting issues were incredibly minimal, CS put my mind to rest with the fact it's a tried and tested exhaust for the 350. Mine needed the smallest of smallest adjustments on one hangar and she fits absolutely perfectly.

It's got a nice noise when tickling the go faster pedal but isn't chav loud.

The kind of noise that if it drove by you, you'd say "cheeky" and lift an eyebrow.

I've kept the old one which I'll get welded up nicely, which will then go back at re-sale time.

I had the same thing! Nissan quoted me £550 took it to my local yesterday and it looks like it's going to cost me about £5!

Hi All

Quick update.

Very many thanks for all the advice but a real "big up" to CS who sorted me with the Scorpion exhaust and got Scorpion to deliver direct to me to save time. Now fitted and absolutely love the sound, JamesyJ's description earlier in the thread is spot on.

Fitting was "interesting". Didn't do it myself because I am a technical "numpty"! Really surprised that no exhaust fitters in my area were interested, lots of "dont do aftermarket or fit ones we haven't supplied". Used a local garage that I trust who fitted ok but I do seem to have a rattle on particularly bad roads. The upside is that when I picked the car up they specifically asked me to bring it back in a week to ensure all was ok and that there were no fitting problems, so hopefull all will work out ok.

Love the Zorst though! :teeth: