Major problem. I need help quick!

200sx

I was changing my spark plugs this afternoon with one of those sockets with a rubber insert to grip the plugs. After tighting up the 3rd plug I pulled the the socket out but the rubber insert stuck on the plug deep inside the cylinder head.

Now I can't get a socket back on to remove the plug and I can't fit the coil pack thingy on!

Does anybody have any ideas on how to remove the rubber??

You should be able to get the socket back over the rubber to remove the plug.

Failing that you may have to remove the Rocker Cover if it is really jammed but that is highly unlikely.

Once the RC is removed you will still have to overcome the spark plug metal tube which is 100 x 25mm.

I don't think I will be able to get thin nosed pliers long enough and thin enough to get down there.

I might try pouring some petrol down the tube and try burning it off. Not sure the petrol would burn down there though.

Your socket will be much stronger than the rubber, just carefully chap it on until you get a grip of the plug.

The RC is the cam box on the top of engine. There are two of them, but you will only have to remove one, but like I said previously this should not be necessary.

I don't think I will be able to get thin nosed pliers long enough and thin enough to get down there.

I might try pouring some petrol down the tube and try burning it off. Not sure the petrol would burn down there though.

:scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

:bangin::bangin::bangin::bangin::bangin:

EDIT: DO THIS AND FOR **** SAKE TAKE PICTURES :#1::lol::lol:

I have tried knocking the socket on the plug and was hitting it pretty hard too, but still no joy.

I really am lost.

I could try a long handle on a scalpel??

I can't believe such a simple job lead to a such a big problem :bang:

I have bought the longest thinest pliers I can find, but still no joy and knackered the ceramic of the plug in the process.

mic-39. that is the problem I can't get the socket back on because the rubber is stopping it.

If you want to try something else before Alex's hard-hitting approach...... :lol:

And as the plug is now knackered try a length of wire, say from a coat hanger, with a hooked and spiked end and do a bit of fishing - perhaps a torch might help. Even two hooked wires - one either side to help an even pull the rubber ring off might be better.

Just a suggestion :surrender:

If you have already used enough force to have broken the ceramic of the plug, IMO the wort thing you can do is remove the plug, as you will end up with bits of the ceramic section down the bores, so your next job will be to remove the head!

I would attempt to cut the rubber ring as much as possible, then find a decent vacuum cleaner and hold it to the top of the plug tube and see if that works.

:lol: Loving the petrol & fire idea!! Probably not something that would ever enter my head but hey, some people just like fire!!

I'd personally try getting some kind of cable/wire down there...you can't easily grip on the rubber as it's narrow down there for pliers, but some kind of lasso/hook setup might help you 'pull' it back off in the direction it came.

Bashing the socket on will only push it on further, and then as mentioned you'll pull the plug out and all the debris from previous attempts is straight into the engine!! :headhurt:

I Don't have any sensible ideas, but just listening to all yours got me thinking, once I'd stopped laughing (Even at the genuine suggestion).

I know it's not funny, but I couldn't help it.

So here my 2 penneth:-

1. Spray lubricant (WD40) or the like into the bore.

2. Blow down the bore with a high pressure air line.

The broken bits will fly out and hopefully the rubber ring will come with it. :bangin::bangin::bangin:

It's that mad it might be pure genius. :lol:

I Don't have any sensible ideas, but just listening to all yours got me thinking, once I'd stopped laughing (Even at the genuine suggestion).

I know it's not funny, but I couldn't help it.

So here my 2 penneth:-

1. Spray lubricant (WD40) or the like into the bore.

2. Blow down the bore with a high pressure air line.

The broken bits will fly out and hopefully the rubber ring will come with it. :bangin::bangin::bangin:

It's that mad it might be pure genius. :lol:

Good idea!

Provided he owns a compressor of course ;)