Spacer/Offset advise

SunGodRA

Hi guys - I have got some new wheels coming this week, and apparently my existing 20mm Eibach pro spacers are not compatible (they are bolt on and I need the other type) so I need to get some new ones - but I need to know what the best size is (I want aggressive stance, but also maybe lowering soon etc)

New wheels:

19"

Size: 9.5 back and 8.5 front

offsets are: 33 back and 32 front

It has been recommended I go 15mm front and 20mm back - what do you think?

cheers, David

bigger wheels yes, bigger rolling radius hopefully not. your going up to 19s, that means you will need a tyre that fits that 19" wheel but also keeps the rolling radius as near stock as possible. So rubbing issues should be fairly similar to 18" rays

I'm failing to understand why the eibach spacers aren't be suitable :surrender:

Its something to do with the fact I have the bolt on type

Quote from Mitz...

"Hi David, the bolt on type spacers were hitting the back of the wheel, as there wasn’t sufficient room on the wheel to allow the original wheel studs to fit. As a result of this, you would need the slip on spacers which come with longer wheel studs."

Basically its all to do with the back of the wheel. Because the eibach nuts (that bolt to the OEM Studs) sit proud the wheel will rest on the nuts rather than the spacer. The Rays has cut outs that go over these nuts, most aftermarket wheels will not!

Two resolutions are either buy spacers with flush fitting nuts or replace the OEM studs with a spacer that doesnt require bolting on.

Basically its all to do with the back of the wheel. Because the eibach nuts (that bolt to the OEM Studs) sit proud the wheel will rest on the nuts rather than the spacer. The Rays has cut outs that go over these nuts, most aftermarket wheels will not!

Two resolutions are either buy spacers with flush fitting nuts or replace the OEM studs with a spacer that doesnt require bolting on.

Thanks for the clarification Dan :thumbs:

My original question was what size spacers should I get for optimum aggressive stance, baring in mind the offset and size of new wheel

I'm failing to understand why the eibach spacers aren't be suitable :surrender:

Its something to do with the fact I have the bolt on type

Quote from Mitz...

"Hi David, the bolt on type spacers were hitting the back of the wheel, as there wasn’t sufficient room on the wheel to allow the original wheel studs to fit. As a result of this, you would need the slip on spacers which come with longer wheel studs."

Not sure what is meant by "slip on spacers with longer studs" - I suspect that is meant to say you need to add slip spacers as well as the 20mm spacers so that the original studs do not hit the inside of the wheel as they are normally 25mm long. I had this issue on the 370 which with Andy's help (Kudos) we resolved - see this thread, with pics to help the explanation.

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=34297&hilit=spacers

If you use 25mm spacers there would not be that problem, but then you need to make sure you get at least full 9* turns of the nuts holding the spacers onto the original studs.

* I think it is 9 from memory.

This.

I'm on the hunt for a set of 10mm spacers but ideally I dont want to replace the factory studs. The only ones I found in 10mm that are "slip on" are the project kics spacers & they wont fit with my wheels :thumbdown:

You could get away with a 15mm spacer front & rear & still be more agressive than most on here. But as I'm sure dan will tell you from his research, the size of the tyre will also contribute to flushness :)

The way I understand it is ...

you want as close to zero offset or even into - figures! as possible for most agressive stance!

Rays are 9inch (228mm) wide with +33 offset

Yours are

9.5inch (241mm) with a +33 so yours are technically 13mm wider (7mm wider eitherside than the rays)

There just bolting wider wheels on would give you a 'visual offset of +25'

Therefore a 20mm spacer giving you a visual offset of +5 would get you very flush, you'd be rubbing I would imagine. even though the actual offset would be +13

I would say a 15mm spacer would look good and give you an actualy offset of +18 but look more like a +11

The way I understand it is ...

you want as close to zero offset or even into - figures! as possible for most agressive stance!

Rays are 9inch (228mm) wide with +33 offset

Yours are

9.5inch (241mm) with a +33 so yours are technically 13mm wider (7mm wider eitherside than the rays)

There just bolting wider wheels on would give you a 'visual offset of +25'

Therefore a 20mm spacer giving you a visual offset of +5 would get you very flush, you'd be rubbing I would imagine. even though the actual offset would be +13

I would say a 15mm spacer would look good and give you an actualy offset of +18 but look more like a +11

+1 :thumbs: Your maths is spot on as usual Dan 'cept Rays are 8.5" (216 mm) at the rear are they not ?

So:

9.5inch (241mm) with a +33 are 241-216 = 25mm wider (12mm wider either side

than the rays)

Therefore just bolting on wider wheels without spacers on would give you a 'visual offset of +21'

This.

I'm on the hunt for a set of 10mm spacers but ideally I dont want to replace the factory studs. The only ones I found in 10mm that are "slip on" are the project kics spacers & they wont fit with my wheels :thumbdown:

You could get away with a 15mm spacer front & rear & still be more agressive than most on here. But as I'm sure dan will tell you from his research, the size of the tyre will also contribute to flushness :)

Have you checked driftworks they have all sorts on there. Also there is a guy making 10 - 50mm on here isnt there?

Im running 19" with 8.5 front and 9.5 rear same as your new wheels, Their et35 with a 20mm spacer so making them et15 allround and I have no issues with rubbing plus im lowerd more than 30mm so you will be fine with a 20mm spacer imo ;)

hi there

the problem you are experiencing is exactly the same as i did with my eibach 20mm spacers on the front of my car

the spacers that im selling eliminate this problem, and are fitted to the rear of my car, no issues whatsoever during fitment, no bodge!

and yes, available in 15-35mm!