What is the Penny trick ??

M9O OEY

Hi ,

Iv read on a different thread about a " penny trick ", Someone asked for a guide to be written . Could someone please explain what it is and does ? I guess it is somethin to do with the Z and i have plenty of pennys lying around :lol: .

Thanks

James

People with heavy spoilers often have to lift the boot hatch and press the release button at the same time to get the boot off of the catch as the springs aren't strong enough. (Not the end of the world but it means you need to use 2 hands at once which is a bit of a pain when trying to put something in the boot)

The penny trick is where you twist the black plastic spring casings to release them from the boot lid and insert a penny into the spring casing to stiffen the spring.

This does work in a few cases but the penny can actually cause the boot spring to push through the boot after a while - it has pushed through on mine slightly and cracked the paint.

Hope that made sense :)

The penny trick is where you twist the black plastic spring casings to release them from the boot lid and insert a penny into the spring casing to stiffen the spring.

This does work in a few cases but the penny can actually cause the boot spring to push through the boot after a while - it has pushed through on mine slightly and cracked the paint.

Bloody hell my pennies will be getting taken out tomorrow!!!

If you don't want to do the penny trick then there's a company near me that will re-gas your boot dampers £30 for the pair which will give them enough strength to lift the boot with spoiler.

Fakeindian had it done.

way to go :thumbs:

People with heavy spoilers often have to lift the boot hatch and press the release button at the same time to get the boot off of the catch as the springs aren't strong enough. (Not the end of the world but it means you need to use 2 hands at once which is a bit of a pain when trying to put something in the boot)

+1

Slightly dented both sides of my car. Don't do it. :thumbdown:

If you don't want to do the penny trick then there's a company near me that will re-gas your boot dampers £30 for the pair which will give them enough strength to lift the boot with spoiler.

Fakeindian had it done.

Its not to do with the Gas struts tho, its the springs in the little black bump stops that need strengthening.

Fakeindian had it done.

Its not to do with the Gas struts tho, its the springs in the little black bump stops that need strengthening.

:thumbs:

Rubber washers would work aswell. Plus I think the 370z ones are slightly uprated aswell.

Its still an issue on the 370 when cold but when it is warm it mostly works OK with just the first push. :thumbs:

I have a question related to the above. I have had issues with the boot not clearing the lock mechanism when the button is pressed (requiring two hands to open it etc). I read this post and thought i would see if the "Penny Trick" would make a difference. However when I looked closely at the two spring mechanisms, the right hand side spring is bent into a curved shape (almost like a quarter of a circle if you know what I mean). Upon removing the rubber casing, the piece of metal which runs through the actual spring has completely bent. :scare: I'm guessing this is what may be causing the boot not opening properly as both springs are not fully engaged when the boot is closed?!?

Two things, what on earth could have caused the spring mechanism to bend like this (assuming its not meant to be like this)? I took the whole mechanism off the boot to see if i could straighten it but with all my strength it wont budge one little bit. Secondly, where would I get a replacement one?

I have a question related to the above. I have had issues with the boot not clearing the lock mechanism when the button is pressed (requiring two hands to open it etc). I read this post and thought i would see if the "Penny Trick" would make a difference. However when I looked closely at the two spring mechanisms, the right hand side spring is bent into a curved shape (almost like a quarter of a circle if you know what I mean). Upon removing the rubber casing, the piece of metal which runs through the actual spring has completely bent. :scare: I'm guessing this is what may be causing the boot not opening properly as both springs are not fully engaged when the boot is closed?!?

Two things, what on earth could have caused the spring mechanism to bend like this (assuming its not meant to be like this)? I took the whole mechanism off the boot to see if i could straighten it but with all my strength it wont budge one little bit. Secondly, where would I get a replacement one?

Happened to me too.