Anyway to lock the car with windows open....

kazman

Without setting off the alarm?

Uk car.

I thought loking the car with the key rather than the fob buttons would do it, but as i was walking away this morning the alarm went off!

With the hot weather at the moment i was hoping to leave the windows open so the seats do not burn me on my return!

I dont 100% need to lock my car as i am parked on a secure site, but :

a) i would rather

B) im not sure if the interior light ever goes off if i dont lock the car in some fashion. And although there is probably a manual way around this, i dont want to forget one day and have a flat battery!

Thanks

Pretty sure the interior light will go off after a minute or so without locking the doors - it just fades down to nothing. Try it and watch it for a couple of minutes. I don't think you can lock the car without the alarm being set, but you could try Stanski's suggestion?

You could leave the alarm activated really, from my experience the stock sensors are next to useless anyway :dry:

Well mine went off this morning when i locked the door via the barrel with the key. This was with the windows open , so thats not an option :blush:

I only noticed this the other week, was sitting in the car waiting on my little girl with my drivers window down, and an old mate was walking past so asked me to come into his house to check his pool table so I locked the car and I never even got the front door and the alarm went off, it was a bit windy so that must be enough for the internal sensor to be activated.

I thought that if you did not press the button on the fob then the alarm would not be armed anyway... obviously not the case as my alarm went off when i sinmply twisted the key to lock the car.

Maybe the double tap of the lock button is the way forward... wil try it later.

I have tried every which way of locking the car, double press, tripple press, one hundred presses, holding it down, locking with key in the door and finally a double press of the key fob while hoping round in circles on one leg praying to the Zed gods!

However, none of this seems to work.

The only way of doing it is to tape up the sensors (the ones closest to your head, not the handsfree mic)

Not that it matters anyway, the weather is turning! :cold::cold::cold:

I'm 99% certain that on UK coupe ZEDs you cannot remote lock the car and cancel the alarm. And yes, wind is the thing that sets off the alarm - on a still day chances are it may not go off with the windows open.

Not sure if roadster owners have something different though?

Taping up the sensors may work but a a bit if a fag to keep taping/untaping. I find by setting the air-con to max and windows down for a few minutes will make the interior more bearable before getting in and driving off.

I'm 99% certain that on UK coupe ZEDs you cannot remote lock the car and cancel the alarm. And yes, wind is the thing that sets off the alarm - on a still day chances are it may not go off with the windows open.

Taping up the sensors may work but a a bit if a fag to keep taping/untaping. I find by setting the air-con to max and windows down for a few minutes will make the interior more bearable before getting in and driving off.

But this is the thing that confused me. I did not remote lock the car. I simply locked it by turning the key in the door. In other cars i have owned (including other NATS cars) that does not arm the car alarm, merley it immobilises it.

Anyway, not just me then! Will double check that the interior light does go off eventually if the car is not locked and resort to that method.

And to the poster above - yes, the weather is not as hot today :headhurt:

But this is the thing that confused me. I did not remote lock the car. I simply locked it by turning the key in the door. In other cars i have owned (including other NATS cars) that does not arm the car alarm, merley it immobilises it.

Anyway, not just me then! Will double check that the interior light does go off eventually if the car is not locked and resort to that method.

And to the poster above - yes, the weather is not as hot today :headhurt:

Just found this in the anti-theft system handbook:

"Ultrasonic sensor exclusion: It is possible to arm the system without the interior sensors being activated (for example to leave a passenger in the car).

1. Turn ignition key ON and OFF 3 times within 7 seconds

2. Arm the system by pressing the LOCK button on the remote control within 20 seconds

3. The doors will lock and the direction indicators will flash once

4. All other functions of the systme remain unchanged."

That may well be what you are looking for :thumbs:

Good find, thanks for taking the time to post that :thumbs:

Seems like a slightly cumbersome method to have to use everytime, but i guess it would stop people from arming the system in this way through false of habit....

Will give it a try next time the weather creeps in to the 20's :bang: