Insuring two cars...

northernuk

Having a 'discussion' about this with a mate. I have two cars, Zed for sunny days and a work horse for the motorway miles so I have both cars insured under my name, gf is named on both if she needs to drive them. As only one of them is out at any one time I feel it is correct to have me as main and her as named on both. She has her own car insured in her name.

Mate has bought his wife a little car for her and the his infants daily use. He has car already in his name for work but he has insured both cars in his name with her as named driver.

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't that fraudulent use of insurance if she is the main driver? He is convinced as the car is his he can do this. The main reason is she is young and very expensive to insure. By having him as insured and her as named he is avoiding paying the correct premium as she will be main driver and therefore liable to have the insurance invalidated at time of a claim when they ask why she was driving and she says I always do.

He is arguing his insurance never questioned it but I pointed out he has claimed they are both his.

Whats the score to be on the safe side here?

You can be the car owner and not the main driver. If she is the main driver then she should be insured as such.

I don't know how an insurance company could prove you were not the main driver but they are bound to have a way! :lol:

Yeh, by law it should be done your way, but why bother?????? You're just throwing money down the drain. Insurance is a con anyway.

I had two cars earlier this year and i wanted to insure both, but only drive the crap one - so my zed was just sat on my drive... Because i told the guy on the phone that my crap car was now my main car, he wanted to charge me £75 a month more than if my zed was my main car - as i could only apply my no-claims bonus to my main car, which now wasnt the zed. :rant::rant: I HATE insurance.

But is this not the exact same thing as thousands of Dads do when their Sons pass their driving test. They insure the son's car in their name and add the son as a named driver until he is old enough to see the premiums coming down.

When my insurance was due Admiral bumped up their premium even though there was no claims. I said I was going elsewhere and then I got a call from a guy in their multi car department. As my fiance has a car we took a multicar policy and my insurance dropped from over £600 for the year to just over £300 per year and her insurance on her Clio nearly halved as well...

Definitely the way to go if you have more than one car in the household, they can be running at different times as well, it's not like the two cars need to expire at the same time.

to the OP: Yes, technically it is wrong and I, personally, would never do this as in the case of a large claim, the insurers will do a thorough investigation and may well find out who uses which car (witness evidence, who goes to work in which car, etc).

On another note, however, I believe it is possible to build up two lots of separate No Claims bonus on two separate cars. ie. If you already have NCB on your zed, you can start accumulating another set of NCB on your other car, so a year later you will have 1yr NCB on that and that will also be transferrable.

I have a couple of classic cars and the insurance on them is reasonably cheap and I don't get NCB on those poicies. I have a commercial van with full NCB and my 350 with full NCB. I use 3 different companies and each is fully aware of the other vehicles. I also have a 'restored' police car which I use for charity work, this is not old enough to be a classic and therefore needs full insurance which because of the nature of the vehicle is hard to find. I have found a company which will 'mirror' my full NCB from the Z onto my police car policy on the assumption that I can only drive one car at a time. It works out the same price as an 'ordinary' car of the same class but with my full NCB. (I hope this is understandable).

As everyone has said. Legally they are not covered as they are not the main driver.

Will it cause a problem 99.999999% of the time no. Its not worth the insurance companys time trying to prove that they are main driver but insured as a second driver in most cases. It would have to be a serious accident before they looked into it.

I have a couple of classic cars and the insurance on them is reasonably cheap and I don't get NCB on those poicies. I have a commercial van with full NCB and my 350 with full NCB. I use 3 different companies and each is fully aware of the other vehicles. I also have a 'restored' police car which I use for charity work, this is not old enough to be a classic and therefore needs full insurance which because of the nature of the vehicle is hard to find. I have found a company which will 'mirror' my full NCB from the Z onto my police car policy on the assumption that I can only drive one car at a time. It works out the same price as an 'ordinary' car of the same class but with my full NCB. (I hope this is understandable).

Whats the insurance company then? Its just stupid. 2 cars one driver. i cant be driving both of them at the same time...havent evolved that much yet ;):lol:

I've just gained a 2nd car too and have had games with this. Some places just tried to screw me over on insurance on the 2nd car. Even tho we only wanted to do very small millage i.e. 3K they came out with silly quotes due to having 0 NCB on it.

Admiral on the other hand were great. Due to my 'good record' they mirrored my 10 yrs NCB from the 350z to the Mini. The quite was VERY good, less that thier normal quote pretending to have 10yrs NCB. They also said any accidents on one car does NOT affect the NCB on the other which is great. Thier renewal price for in a couple months time on the 350z was also VERY good, in fact lower that last year which is good considering overall prices have generally gone up recently.

I've just gained a 2nd car too and have had games with this. Some places just tried to screw me over on insurance on the 2nd car. Even tho we only wanted to do very small millage i.e. 3K they came out with silly quotes due to having 0 NCB on it.

Admiral on the other hand were great. Due to my 'good record' they mirrored my 10 yrs NCB from the 350z to the Mini. The quite was VERY good, less that thier normal quote pretending to have 10yrs NCB. They also said any accidents on one car does NOT affect the NCB on the other which is great. Thier renewal price for in a couple months time on the 350z was also VERY good, in fact lower that last year which is good considering overall prices have generally gone up recently.

Admiral obviously didnt want me as a customer then....wont say what they said or quoted cos even thinking about it winds me up....however they paid me 26 grand for writing off my maserati 2 years ago... :dry:

Just as an interesting note to all the other guys with two cars like me. I am with e-sure and they took all my no claims years above the max amount for one car and applied it to the other which was quite a saving for me so can't fault them for that.

I don't think this would work too well if you moved to them as I don't think ur last insurer would quote your NCB above the max...

Just thought peeps might be interested.