the strecthed look!!!!!

TADDY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, I hear this sooo much. Ever tried stretched tyres? No? You surpise me. ;)

And would it surprise you to say that I have, and it was the single most wretched experience of driving I've ever had? No? Well, that surprises me.

Having no sidewall of course reduces flex, and it also gives you a bone-crushing ride along with zero feel from the tyres: You go from loads of grip to bugger all in a heartbeat. As your experience proves you can get used to that which is fine, but for 99.9% of normal people it's useless.

And it still looks ugly as hell. ;)

I find it hard to believe that any grip racer is going to pusha tyre harder than a drifter either. ;)

any one driving a car properly (i don't mean that in a derogatory manner) i.e. a grip racer will surely be pushing the tyres harder than a drifter. as the tyre sidewall is actually having to take all the lateral G and the weight of the car round the corner.

a drifter in its very nature is no longer in grip so the lateral G on the tyre is greatly reduce as its not actually gripping. your just wearing the rubber away quicker. as you glide across the tarmac.

if thats what you want to do then thats up to you, but the tyre was never designed to be used like that. it is therefore not performing to its maximum potential.

it may be a great setup for a drifter, but i wouldn't trust that setup for road use.

Ekona - that does surprise me, as I could easily find 200 odd people who have the same opinion as me. However, to be fair, those 200 people are effectively driving track focused cars on the road so ride comfort is less important than ultimate grip. Not sure about the breakaway point though - if anything I find it easier on a stretched tyre due to the lack of flex, I imagine :)

rtbiscuit - sure, the rear tyres may not be experiencing the same level of lateral grip, but the front ones are, and Id argue considerably exceeding the lateral forces you would find on a grip car - the directional changes are certainly faster and more violent. It suprises a lot of people that drifting is actuallyall about grip, not the lack of it, and even the spinning back tyres are holding onto the road.

Your average drifter is going to be 180/360 spinning the car more than someone driving a car "properly" too ;) which surely puts the most force on a set of tyres.

Dont get me wrong, Im not arguing that drifting is the be all and end all or that stretched tyres are the way forward for everyone, but I am saying that in certain cases, be it drift cars or heavily modified showcars they have their place,and they certainly dont just fall off of rims. I see a lot of people dismissing it instantly without experience of it, which is why Im putting my side here. :thumbs:

Next up, welded diffs :bangin:

Ekona - that does surprise me, as I could easily find 200 odd people who have the same opinion as me. However, to be fair, those 200 people are effectively driving track focused cars on the road so ride comfort is less important than ultimate grip. Not sure about the breakaway point though - if anything I find it easier on a stretched tyre due to the lack of flex, I imagine :)

rtbiscuit - sure, the rear tyres may not be experiencing the same level of lateral grip, but the front ones are, and Id argue considerably exceeding the lateral forces you would find on a grip car - the directional changes are certainly faster and more violent. It suprises a lot of people that drifting is actuallyall about grip, not the lack of it, and even the spinning back tyres are holding onto the road.

Your average drifter is going to be 180/360 spinning the car more than someone driving a car "properly" too ;) which surely puts the most force on a set of tyres.

Dont get me wrong, Im not arguing that drifting is the be all and end all or that stretched tyres are the way forward for everyone, but I am saying that in certain cases, be it drift cars or heavily modified showcars they have their place,and they certainly dont just fall off of rims. I see a lot of people dismissing it instantly without experience of it, which is why Im putting my side here. :thumbs:

Well at least your arguments are structured and based on fact!

I've said already in this thread that aesthetically stretched tyres don't do it for me (apart form sometimes with MEGA slamming) but I have no experience of them to base a driving opinion on.

It's nice to read arguments from both sides of the fence when it is kept civil and constructive! :thumbs:

rtbiscuit - sure, the rear tyres may not be experiencing the same level of lateral grip, but the front ones are, and Id argue considerably exceeding the lateral forces you would find on a grip car - the directional changes are certainly faster and more violent.

i can see the advantage in drifting with this setup as there is no tyre roll, so easier to spin up, i suppose you have to keep in mind that racing and drifting require 2 completely different techniques. a racing driving does everything possible to avoid drifting to maximise corner entry and corner exit speed. so a racer would look at slow in and fast out. where i'm guessing the drifter is looking at the opposite with faster entry and more steering throw in order to unbalance the rear and then balance it with opposite lock.

It suprises a lot of people that drifting is actuallyall about grip, not the lack of it, and even the spinning back tyres are holding onto the road.

Your average drifter is going to be 180/360 spinning the car more than someone driving a car "properly" too ;) which surely puts the most force on a set of tyres. i don't know about that you didn't see me on my last track day :lol: trying to carry far to much speed into the sweeping bends and to aggressive with the steering. gave some excellent displays of some long power slides, not deliberate but more through seat of the pants of managing to keep the front facing in the right direction after realising it was all going wrong. :lol:

as for welded diffs they have there purpose i suppose but thats mainly for drifters and not a scene i really have much interest in.

i appreciate it for what it is, but wouldn't do it to my car, i prefer a more track orientated car.

one worry i'd have with running stretched rubber is that the rims look so exposed and vulnerable to curbs etc. and as my car is my daily driver i couldn't cope with that.

wow this has made some very interesting reading :D

yokomo I would say that was the general view :thumbs:

If i could slam the car on our roads (which I did when I first fitted my coilovers :scare: lol) then i would probaly go the stretched route but looking at it I think it would be more hassel then its worth to get the rite look. I like the look of no cap between tyre and arch and with normal tyres this can be acheived on our roads.....just! but with stretched tyres it would need to go lower!!!!

according to his post they are Works Varianza T1S - shown here in black chrome

68.jpg

They are super B) ........ don't want to hijack the thread but I must know if they are OK for staggered fitment on a Zed and where they are available please

68.jpg

They are super B) ........ don't want to hijack the thread but I must know if they are OK for staggered fitment on a Zed and where they are available please

these are what the linea corse dynas are based on ;)

the works one are nice though :thumbs:

68.jpg

these are what the linea corse dynas are based on ;)

the works one are nice though :thumbs:

The chap in the photo has 9.5x19 and 10.5x19 fitted with 225/35r19 and 245/35r19 tyres

http://www.rimtuck.com/setup.php?id=128

Tyres aren't designed to be constantly flexing outwards. So one would presume that you are therefore potentially going to wear out said tyres before their time, ie denting your pocket sooner.

Also a few other things, do insurance companies come into play in the stretched scenario, ie, possibly compromising safety, so would it pass at a testing station-if something happened would insurance cover you?? (Not sure as our laws seem to be more strict in some aspects over here).

I dont imagine theres an insurance issue and cant really speak for tyre wear, but then I go through them rather quickly anyway ;)

The stretched look has to be done right, and Id say the Z33 isnt a car that particularly lends itself to it TBH. The low look is spot on for the car, but my car now only has maybe 3 inches of clearance at the front and it wouldnt work it was the only car I owned - most speed bumps are out, multistory car parks are a no, and pretty much on anything with a decent incline the nose scrapes ......... but the car needs to go lower to look right in my eyes.

Id also add that I have other cars to concentrate on the driving dynamics of, so within reason Im prepared to compromise a little on the Zed to get it looking "right" B)

I know i'm probably being a bit dumb but i just dont get it..........why/what/how etc????

Stretching smaller tires over bigger rims so that it looks uber cool...................... apparently.....? :dry:

I don't get it either Nixy, doesn't look good to me, think I’d only ever consider it if i couldn't afford tires that were big enough :lol: