Alloy Gator Rim Protector - fitted & *now tested*

rtbiscuit

This has been discussed a couple of times but no one had actually gone out and tried them.

i decided that since i was getting my wheels refurbed i didn't want to damage them and i also wanted to add a red lip, and this was the easiest way. other benefits include the fact that 1 wheel had a slight flat spot from the previous owner. so it ticked many boxes.

here are my rims pre rim protector

P1010240.jpg

P1010241.jpg

so these are what i bought:

Alloy gator rim protectors

P1010252.jpg

fitting takes a bit of getting used to, first i bought myself an electric pump for the job and also a rubber mallet i used a pair of garden secateurs for cutting as they gave the cleanest egde.

the first wheel took a good half an hour, but that was down to getting the technique right. the other 3 were a lot quicker. i reckon it took me about 20 min per wheel after that including jacking, deflating, fitting and re pumping.

i think the hardest job is cutting the second edge to make sure it meets well. mine or ok, but it was a pain of a job.

here are some fitting pics

P1010246.jpg

P1010247.jpg

this is the website for them

http://www.alloygator.com/

out of all the versions available i preferred these as they fitted all the way round and not just on a few clips.

love or hate the look of them, at the end of the day they should stop my rims from being curbed. yes i have wing mirrors but occasionally crap happens, and these are for those occasions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they look like painted lips, well they do to me, i suppose it needs others to see them and comment really.

they blend in well from looking face on, they're only really noticeable if you look down the side of the car as they stick out a little.

but in order to do there job they have to.

a small sacrifice in my eyes,

Look good in the pictures mate! Do they look like plastic clips in the flesh or do they pretty much look like painted lips?

+1 do you have any close up pics? They look good from a distance in those pics, but how stuck on do they look closer up?

will have to take some more tomorrow as its dark now, but these look a lot better than the other rim protectors, there are no gaps and sit well against the wheel,

i think the only down point that might put people off is that they stick out a little, compared to a painted lip. but thats something i can live with.

If they serve a useful purpose and look good I am with you all the way! Especially if they save your from screwing expensive alloys on our pants roads!

thats the big thing, heard several people in the last month all talk about being f'd off because they had recently curbed their nice wheels.

gives me a lot more piece of mind

Loving this post. I've wanted to see what black Rays look like on a blade Zed... Something which I am considering myself. Any chance of some more pictures at distance when you get a chance. It would also be good to see what the profile looks like - how far do they stick out?

Must say I think the red lip will makes it look a lot more interesting. Alloy gator seems like a good idea to me - not sure what happens when you kerb a black refurbed alloy - a big silver mark underneath?!!!

Chris

Ok just saw the latest picture of the Civic with the silver Alloygator. It does stick out quite a bit. I suppose you could always shave it back a bit like they do in the promo video on the website. Maybe this defeats the purpose but surely you don't need it to stick out that much?? I suppose you need it to come out that much if you're crashing into curbs rather than just touching them??

got a couple of more things to do then i shall go photo crazy :lol:

as for what happens when you curb a black wheel, yes its a blindingly obvious as its silver underneath :wacko:

here are some other pics of them fitted on a civic to show the edge

• 3 weeks later...