nice hotels in Vatican?

Zedrush

We were in Rome last year on hotel and stayed in a nice hotel 2 mins walk from the main Train / Bus / Underground Station.

Vatican was about 10 mins on the underground. We were 17 Euros each for unlimited bus and underground pass for the week. All the major sightseeing attractions are within a couple of minutes of an underground station so was definitely the way to do it. I'll dig out the Hotel details and post them up :thumbs:

We were in Rome last year on hotel and stayed in a nice hotel 2 mins walk from the main Train / Bus / Underground Station.

Vatican was about 10 mins on the underground. We were 17 Euros each for unlimited bus and underground pass for the week. All the major sightseeing attractions are within a couple of minutes of an underground station so was definitely the way to do it. I'll dig out the Hotel details and post them up :thumbs:

cheers mate

I was looking at this one and it looks like it was right in the city

http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com/ce ... n-rome.htm

Check out Priceline and Hotwire. A lot of reading on betterbidding.com (too lazy to google & link), but the short story is that you can get nice hotels at very very reasonable prices. Google those sites and have a read around. ;)

FYI: When we were looking a year or two ago, Grand Hotel de la Minerve was one of the hotels you could get through those sites.

i stayed in president hotel in the city centre....that was 4 weeks ago. it was above the metro station...(i can find the name..dont remember it) and thats all you need in rome. metro is excellent!

think it was 120 euros or smth a night for a 3 bed room. :teeth:

Don't want to put the frighteners on ya, but be careful on the underground with handbags/wallets. I know people who had problems in Rome.

My wife had her purse nicked in Madrid last year on the Underground too. European cities are very bad for it.

Just wanted to give you the heads up as it bloody ruined my time in Spain that year.

Stay safe ;)

Bradders.

cheers guys for info will do some looking up now :thumbs: Anywhere you guys would recommend seeing first as never been

Rome is a fantastic City and there is so much to see.

I would definitely recommend all the major attractions ( some of the spelling might be dodgy ! ) :

Colosseum

Roman Forum

Pantheon

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Vatican City / Sistine Chapel / Vatican Museums

St Peter's Basilica ( you can walk to the top of the Basilica and onto the roof of the dome overloooking St Peter's Square and get awesome views of the City )

Castel Sant Angelo ( old fort protecting Vatican City )

Basilica di San Giovanni

There are some really nice squares with cafe's / restaurants with outside seating in the various squares ( Piazza del Popolo , Piazza Navonna , Piazza della Republica )

There are also numerous other incredibly decorative churches that you will stumble upon if you're wandering about which are worth having a squint at.

We jumped on a train and went south to Pompei for the day which was also incredible to see.

I'm sure you'll have a great time ... awesome City :thumbs:

JT

I went on a girls weekend to Rome a couple of years ago and it was amazing. We stayed in a hotel with views of St Peters Basilica and we walked everywhere. You need to be fairly respectful about cameras with flash etc in some places and also no bare arms etc in religious places - my sister had an old man come and tell her to cover up in the Pantheon because she had a vest top on! It's worth going just to see the crazy parking and driving! :lol:

The best bit for me was the collosseum - just standing in there imagining what happened on that very ground all those years ago. And the Vatican was amazing too and we had a superb tour guide for that. You'll love it! :thumbs:

I went on a girls weekend to Rome a couple of years ago and it was amazing. We stayed in a hotel with views of St Peters Basilica and we walked everywhere. You need to be fairly respectful about cameras with flash etc in some places and also no bare arms etc in religious places - my sister had an old man come and tell her to cover up in the Pantheon because she had a vest top on! It's worth going just to see the crazy parking and driving! :lol:

The best bit for me was the collosseum - just standing in there imagining what happened on that very ground all those years ago. And the Vatican was amazing too and we had a superb tour guide for that. You'll love it! :thumbs:

Yeh good point Ill be filming though rather than taking pics, so no flash.

They should bring the collosseum back, all these extremists and hard core criminals should be forced to fight lions and tigers and each other :thumbs:

Oh and don't try and film or take pics inside the Sistine Chapel or you will face the wrath of the very camp looking Swiss Guards ... and they are not very discreet when they point at you and shout ( loud whisper but sounds like a shout when there is deathly silence all around ! ) .... trust me I know :blush:

Oh and don't try and film or take pics inside the Sistine Chapel or you will face the wrath of the very camp looking Swiss Guards ... and they are not very discreet when they point at you and shout ( loud whisper but sounds like a shout when there is deathly silence all around ! ) .... trust me I know :blush:

lol cheers for that mate, what is the rules regarding cameras and camcorders over there do i need a permit?

lol cheers for that mate, what is the rules regarding cameras and camcorders over there do i need a permit?

No restrictions at all as far as I'm aware.

Inside St Peter's ( Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums ) are probably where the only flash restrictions are.

As Nixy says just make sure that your missus isn't wandering about in a thong bikini or else she wont get into any of the churches , basilicas and St Peters :lol:

We had heard before we went that they were even strict on open toe sandals but that wasn't the case.

My girlfriend kept a light cardigan in her bag which she put on over her shoulders when we were going anywhere with restrictions.

Also womens skirts should be below the knee ( I did see a couple of women being refused entry into St Peter's becuse they were wearing loose skirts which sat on / above their knees ).

Inside St Peter's ( Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums ) are probably where the only flash restrictions are.

As Nixy says just make sure that your missus isn't wandering about in a thong bikini or else she wont get into any of the churches , basilicas and St Peters :lol:

We had heard before we went that they were even strict on open toe sandals but that wasn't the case.

My girlfriend kept a light cardigan in her bag which she put on over her shoulders when we were going anywhere with restrictions.

Also womens skirts should be below the knee ( I did see a couple of women being refused entry into St Peter's becuse they were wearing loose skirts which sat on / above their knees ).

No chance of that bud am single :blush:

No chance of that bud am single :blush:

... well make sure you don't wear your mankini then ! :blush:;)

Colosseum was my favourite too :teeth:

The Vatican was a nice tour, but it kind of made me angry to think of all the corruption that went into its splendour. Marble pillars as high as 4 story buildings and everything gold encrusted, but ah well.

The Sistine chapel is amazing with the creation of man painting, although when you see it for real, its kinda tiny!

Make sure you snap your pictures quickly cos the security get p'd off :teeth:

When you get off the plane, don't take a taxi!! their con men who charge about 70 euro to get you into the city, when in fact its about 15 Euro trip, and there's plenty of bus's going there and back.

Mind and show us the pictures :)