Carbon wrap has begun!!

cfoster

Had a day off today to sort a few bits out and thought i'd make a start on the roof!! Been signwriting for years but never really been into the vinyl wrapping stuff so thought i'd give it a go! I'm using the 3m Di Noc vinyl.

Roof is now completed and very happy with the result, took about an hour and a half and there no stretches on the weave either!! Few pics below!!

Dsc02750.jpg

Dsc02751.jpg

Dsc02753.jpg

Not sure what part to do next, sides should be ok to do, just a bit worried about the bonnet as its massive!!!! Attempted the mirror quickly but got bored and ended up making a mess of it!! Aiming to get the whole car wrapped before Le Mans in June!

Chris

cheers chaps, wel happy with the end result so far!

Maz0 - in all vinyl cost wise i reckon around £500 ish for the whole car plus my time which who knows how longs its going to take!!

rtbiscuit - definitely right mate, the mirrors are a bitch! Done one of them perfectly but didnt realise the glass sits right in the casing so you can see the end of the vinyl inside the mirror. Think i've mastered it though but me fingers got sore so gave up with that! Roof wasnt too bad to do, the curves towards the front outer corners and deeper than it looks to begin with though but hardly had to heat it up to get it to settle!

srobrien - not surely exactly for the cost of that bit as I bought a 10 metre roll!!

Chris

A guide would be a very good thing to do / have but so many signwriters have different techniques for doing it, remember it is a trade as well so some people may struggle to achieve what they want (for example I am @*!# at woodwork so wouldnt attempt to cut a bit of wood in a straight line, i'd leave it to those who know!!!!).

Bonnet next I think, then front wings and doors!!

from what ive heard and seen as long as you take your time and dont over heat the vinyl you should be able to cover most curved parts...however that was just normal vinyl...this has the carbon weave so you can tell where its been stretched fairly easily :thumbdown:

so thats some very good work :thumbs: