Penalty points for parking in bus stop

maxi-glasgow

My girlfriends pal was telling her how she was parked in a bus stop to jump in a shop and came out and the cops told her she was get a fine and 3 penalty points. She started crying and when they asked her what was up she said she currently has 9 points. So they said they would need to caution her.

She was due in court last week but the judge postponed it. 3 of her current points are due off in May so her lawyer told her he will try and get getting postponements until then so she won't get banned.

I have never heard of getting penalty points for a parking offence in my life, has anyone else heard of this?

I have even been search for it and can't find anything, even found article in the telegraph where a mother pulled in as her 9 month baby was having breathing difficulties and as she got out a traffic warden handed her a £70 fine and told her to move on without attending to her baby...no mention of penalty points though...

The only thing I can see is you can get 3 points for leaving your car in a dangerous position but how can a bus stop be construed as that?

I would assume it is classed as a dangerous position as, if you block a bus from pulling into the designated stop, then it may mean that passengers have to walk into the road to get on and off the bus which greatly increases the chances of them being in an accident.

Only a guess though!

hopefully she will still have her BFH after the court hearing

I had to look BFH up - I think I am getting old! :lol:

Never heard of this either Maxi - does sound a bit harsh. Have to admit though if you are on nine points, don't give them any excuse...

I agree about shouldn't be parking there, it's just that I have never heard anyone getting penalty points for parking that's all.

And by the looks of it plenty of other people are unaware of this also, so something to look out for in the future....

I've pulled into a bus stop in the past waiting to meet up with someone, won't be doing that again. I'll just sit on double yellows instead ;)

If it helps her case - I can find an article on a chap from round here, who parked on a busy main road, on the zigzag keep clear markings at a crossing, opened his door, leaned back in to retrieve a phone while sticking arse into the main road and was dragged under a lorry ripping various limbs off....

The guy has been cleared of all blame, even though he parked illegaly and put himself in the road rather than going round to the passenger side of the car to retrieve the phone, the lorry driver is now most likely to be chrged, and the chap is possibly going to receive millions in compo. Yet he was the one who parked illegaly in the first place.

So here you have one chap in line for millions because he actually had an accident whilst parked in a dangerous position, and your friend is in line for punishment. Good to see there is some continuity....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Big-claim ... 5925597.jp

If it helps her case - I can find an article on a chap from round here, who parked on a busy main road, on the zigzag keep clear markings at a crossing, opened his door, leaned back in to retrieve a phone while sticking arse into the main road and was dragged under a lorry ripping various limbs off....

The guy has been cleared of all blame, even though he parked illegaly and put himself in the road rather than going round to the passenger side of the car to retrieve the phone, the lorry driver is now most likely to be chrged, and the chap is possibly going to receive millions in compo. Yet he was the one who parked illegaly in the first place.

So here you have one chap in line for millions because he actually had an accident whilst parked in a dangerous position, and your friend is in line for punishment. Good to see there is some continuity....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Big-claim ... 5925597.jp

He will probably get far more than a soldier who got blown up by a car bomb but thats another story...

Yup he probably will, which I quite agree is ridiculous. But such is todays culture that leans toward compensating and legislating for the minority who seem to lack a bit of common sense.

Back on topic though, I would agree with 9 points totted up already the person should have been driving (and parking) as if they were constantly on their driving test.