Coilover Questions

Beavis

Toying with the idea of fitting coilovers to the zed. Just think it sits a little high with the nismo's on. I want it to look a little more aggressive so obviously it wants lowering a bit. I only need something that has height adjustment not really interested in having a million damper settings. Think something like KW variant 1's might be what i need, and what considerations should i have if i wanted to sell the car at some point and i wanted to fit the original wheels back would having the coilovers fitted cause me any issues? So come on you coilover experts thoughts please guys. :thumbs:

_DS32942.jpg

Didnt Alex say he had some Nismos coming up for grabs? Would be perfect and fit with the rest of the car in keeping it nissan! :)

Fitting those dont require camber arms etc so you will be fine. Just keep the stocks and swap them over come selling time?

Yes thanks for that info Mark :thumbs: Food for thought. Yes i guessed i might keep them for when and if the time comes to sell, then just get them refitted. Always wanted to be able to turn the car back to a stock GT4. :)

Thanks Ian also. Like i said i am just playing with thoughts at the moment. This is what happens when people start posting pics of zeds that have inspired them. :lol:

I wanted the exact same thing and ended up going with the Eibach Pro Street kit which is just a rebranded KW1. Lowered 20mm all round, front camber was well within specs, but I opted to fit Eibach camper arms and bolts on the rear (just in case) to save on the labour.

Ride is still very good, and it has tightened up the handling a fair bit, and stll clears all the monster speed bumps we have down here. Photo is from when they were fitted, they have settled about another few mm now I reckon

DSC00433.jpg

I have also reviewed coilovers recently - initially looked at BC racing, then others like KW etc - but I think I have decided to just go for Eibach 30mm drop springs - £200 vs £1000+

Short term solution due to budget - coilovers will come soon when I can afford :p

Zed already has coilovers (well, at the front anyway!) ;)

If it's only one-way height adjustment you're after then just do the springs, as it's a far more economical way of achieving the goal. If you want to improve/alter the ride characteristics in a more dramatic fashion then you need to start thinking abut changing both dampers and springs, but you really need to look at damper and spring rates in detail to keep the car drivable for you personally. A set of aftermarket one way dampers with the correct springs will give you the drop you're looking for but will also firm up the ride and you'll have no way of altering it if you don't like it, whereas if you went for a set of fully adjustable for both bump and rebound then you can adjust to your hearts content (within the parameters of the damper itself, of course) but you'll pay well for the privilege. Of course, if the non-adjustable ones give you the feel you want then that's the set you buy!

I'm not sure what the stock damping/spring rates are like on the GT4, but I'd start by finding those out and then getting the details of other options from the manufacturers and seeing just what is available out there in terms of difference. It'd be very easy just to say "Oh, go and get this set because I've got them and they're ace!" but without knowing specifically how you want the car to feel then it could ruin the car for you and be £800+ down the drain.

As discussed before Dave, BC's get a very good writeup on all forums I have seen them on. Think they are about the same price as the KW V1, but have a lot more adjustability. I wouldnt go for just springs if you can afford coilies, as reselling coilies will make the money back on them anyway, and as Dan says they will ride so much better having matched springs and dampers.

Personally, I'd see what Alex is wanting for the Nismo's and price that up against the BCs :thumbs:

Doesnt sound good Trev :thumbdown: Dont know how much of that is just an Evo/Scooby issues, but I thikn I'd stick with something known to have good longevity then Dave like the KW or Nismo. I know a few members on here have BC's so it'd be interesting to see if any of them have put decent miles on them and see how they are getting on.

The main problem appears to be with the rears and can be contributed mainly to 2 issues. The first is that there is insufficient clearance between the bottom mount and the bottom arm which makes the base of the coilover hit the mounting point on the bottom arm. The second issue is in relation to the top mount which apparently has insufficent or no bushing and sets up a knocking. There have been other problems reported but these seem to be the most common. As you say, they may just be confined to Evos and Scoobys but if I was buying again I would more than likely consider another make.

Thanks for the info guys :thumbs: Looks like the BC option might not be so good then? But may be as Chris suggested a issue with just that model. :shrug:

The GT4 damper/spring rates are no different than any other UK specced zed manufactured at that time AFAIK.

Maybe check out my350z for the BCs, I'm sure theres quite a few on there running them, they seem quite popular with the 370z crowd too, but the 370z lot havent put that many miles on them I dont think. Maybe not a problem if you get them from Mitz as we know he has excellent customer service and its not your daily driver. Depends if you want to have more adjustability for the cost, so something simpler from KW knowing they are good for many many miles.

Well having the BC's myself, i think with the 350Z fitment you wont have the issues described on the Evo Setup. The topmounts are rubber (so you wont get the knocking you do with unbushed pillowball ones) and the fitment is fine, no clearance or knocking issues. They have all the mountings for the brake pipes etc.. aswell. Handling on them is fantastic, and i love them for the money they cost.