Chat room - ideas/problems etc

neo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it could be done but would take up about half the screen height :blush:

thought it was easy to make it open in new window/tab so you could still have the forum in one tab and the chat in another :)

we're open to options :)

That was my thinking too, have it in another tab and its easily accessible. It doesnt really suit being like Zclub due to its layout, so would take up too much screen for those that dont care for it. Maybe could be enabled as an option by users but it would be a lot of work and this place is so busy, we find it hard to find the time :surrender:

It would be nice if people could choose to speak to the person they are chatting with using a different colour text .......... rtbiscuit and I could choose red whilst Nixy and Husky are chatting in blue for instance ..... that way it would be easier to accommodate more than one conversation at the same time ...........

Yes I know you can go into a private room and you can type in coloured text if you want too, but I'm suggesting a system that changes the colour using one click at the start of a conversation ............... it would make it easier to follow the different conversations for lurkers also :lol:

Is it possible ?

Is it possible ?

Anything is possible! Remember though this is a simple chat solution, not a full blown IRC channel. If we have enough interest for a proper chat solution, I will be more than willing to set up and IRC channel instead where we can do much more interesting things. Our web chat solution needs to be kept simple so to keep load on the server down. Your best option is a private channel.

With regard to the slow speed also that I have seen mentioned, its built into the software to have a slight delay and not do everything instantly. Again, if we see a lot of usage, I dont mind setting up a proper IRC channel.

Leave me out of it - i haven't even been in there! :lol:

You're bloody boring, Nixaroo. A few beers and it'll be a hoot in there :p

Husky can drink babysham.

Boring? Moi? How very dare you! I was thinking you've been a bit quiet and boring yourself lately! Had Mr Wilkinson over for a meal on Sunday he was asking how you are............ I said you were a tosser as usual! :lol: (just kidding :p )

Leave me out of it - i haven't even been in there! :lol:

You're bloody boring, Nixaroo. A few beers and it'll be a hoot in there :p

Husky can drink babysham.

Boring? Moi? How very dare you! I was thinking you've been a bit quiet and boring yourself lately! Had Mr Wilkinson over for a meal on Sunday he was asking how you are............ I said you were a tosser as usual! :lol: (just kidding :p )

:lol: :lol: :lol: i bet you did aswell

problem, seem to eat a lot of memory of my firefox ... was up to 500mb there once, not sure if it's because I'm logged on the whole time and storing the chat history or if its a memory leak.

thanks.

:snack:

No idea, it is a thick client, to keep the server side thin, so the client does most of the work. I would guess its caching all the chat. You can set it to cache less lines in the settings on the bottom right - I think by default it keeps everything. Might save a bit of space. Remember this is a cheap and cheerful chat solution, if we want to live on there, we need something like IRC and dedicated IRC clients :)

ok i found a slight niggle, ahve been trying the live chat again, logged in and forgot to then post, but when i tried to scrol back up to read wha ti missed, everytime someone else posted, it shot me back to the bottom of the page.

took forever to find where i was up to, just start reading again, and bam, i'm back to the bottom as someone posted again.

is it possible to change it that when someone posts, everyone else isn't slammed back to their post. i can;t read quick enough to keep up with the posting so have to be able to go back and read whats already been said :blush:

ok i found a slight niggle, ahve been trying the live chat again, logged in and forgot to then post, but when i tried to scrol back up to read wha ti missed, everytime someone else posted, it shot me back to the bottom of the page.

took forever to find where i was up to, just start reading again, and bam, i'm back to the bottom as someone posted again.

is it possible to change it that when someone posts, everyone else isn't slammed back to their post. i can;t read quick enough to keep up with the posting so have to be able to go back and read whats already been said :blush:

switch off auto scrolling Rich

new problem :blush:

when i post the sreen bounces and my text is hidden under the typing bar, i have to scroll down every new post to see whats written, or wait for the next person to post so that it pushes the last post up into view :blush:

ru on ff or IE

when i post the sreen bounces and my text is hidden under the typing bar, i have to scroll down every new post to see whats written, or wait for the next person to post so that it pushes the last post up into view :blush:

ru on ff or IE

my god man :lol: english!

he could be on chrome? that autoscroll buton is the key :)

ru on ff or IE

my god man :lol: english!

he could be on chrome? that autoscroll buton is the key :)

key to it all...

problem, seem to eat a lot of memory of my firefox ... was up to 500mb there once, not sure if it's because I'm logged on the whole time and storing the chat history or if its a memory leak.

thanks.

:snack:

No idea, it is a thick client, to keep the server side thin, so the client does most of the work. I would guess its caching all the chat. You can set it to cache less lines in the settings on the bottom right - I think by default it keeps everything. Might save a bit of space. Remember this is a cheap and cheerful chat solution, if we want to live on there, we need something like IRC and dedicated IRC clients :)

true,more important that the server aint coming crashing down :scare: well done, good work I'd say but just wanted peps to know that it will probably make their pcs rock slow if they leave it running.

B)