Rim guard, anyone used one?

shire350Z

and this is not in conjunction with nurrish's rim wax :lol:

With time nearing to change my tyres im obviously nervous about the tyre fitters damaging the rim (which they assure me they wont but you can never gurantee 100%) and was speaking with a guy a while ago that said with most 'expensive' wheels and with some high end car makers i.e porsche, ferrari, etc they use a rim (wheel) guard which is just a plastic trim that fits over the rim to eliminate any chance of damage!!

Just wondered if any of you guys with B) wheels had one or had used one before and if so where to get them from B)

most do mike and they use plastic shims to hold the base of the wheel its just when there fitting some of the larger tyres 295/30 etc the huge amounts of pressure needed same as on smallers one at times can cause the machine to pull onto the rim which also has a plastic shim, im just thinking of the worse and prob being over protective but it all helps :thumbs:

if they did 18's i would buy a set, when i get my alloys done in satin black it makes for an easier job than trying to use a rim vinyl, or trying to paint them, and it will also protect against the odd curb incident, and if they get damamged, then its cheaper to replace than a wheel refurb.

if they did 18's i would buy a set, when i get my alloys done in satin black it makes for an easier job than trying to use a rim vinyl, or trying to paint them, and it will also protect against the odd curb incident, and if they get damamged, then its cheaper to replace than a wheel refurb.

Rich ..... lateral thinker here .......... go for 17" wheels and you're home and dry :blush:

Rich ..... lateral thinker here .......... go for 17" wheels and you're home and dry :blush:

why swap out my lovely 18" rays for smaller heavier 17" for the sake of a rim guard. :shrug:

they have new sizes coming soon.

fir £25 its worth a punt. and to be honest if i get mine refurbed, i want to protect the rims from curbs, been pushed to the side before by stupid 4x4 drivers, and clipped a curb. its infurating, at least this way, there is a bit of piece of mind :shrug:

Took the Z for a new rear at a mate's tyre depot and asked him about this again and he said it's a rim similar to a metal ring that goes roand a barrel that goes round the rim so that the tyre sits on this instead of the alloy. At tyre change time the fitter prizes the tyre off the rim protector with it protecting the wheel. He said the gear to fit these would mean him whacking £100 on extra due to the limited demand.

Normally he said if he changes the tyre with the wheel "upside down" so the face sits on the "machine" with the plastic protectors on, even if it's a bugger of a job, worst case he may mark the back of the wheel whilst keeping the face pristine.

He didn't say where to go for these though as he only heard about these at a trade fair.

Hundred quid more? Im only talking about a plastic ring that just covers the edge there must be a firm that churns these out for pence and sells them for know more than a bloody tenner Its only a plastic ring

And you think this plastic ring will stay in place when installing a tyre? I highly doubt it chap, they are just to protect from kerbing. Come tyre fitting time, they will rip them off before the tyre, then you're back to sqaure one.

I beleive there is a list on the Pirelli site which lists their "pro delears" or something, some certification to say they can do big perfomance wheels and all use plastic fitments to stop you damaging the wheel. Best to use them or a trusted place. I use my local wheel refurber, its not an advertised service from them, but as they refurbed them last time, they take as much care as possible, and have never marked my wheels, and always come back perfectly balanced. :thumbs: