The definition of a sports car

Husky

basically this stems from someone talking to me today about kids getting near their sports car. after a couple of mins i asked what they had... A mini, the new one... :doh:

in the past also, while standing next to a guy as he tried to fit something in in his corsa vxr he turned to me and said, "dont buy a sports car mate, cant fit anything in them haha" to which i pointed at the huge blue mitsubishi GTO with white stripes and huge exhuast and said "i know what you mean mate, its a struggle getting things in mine", he looked sheepish :lol:

So my point is that the words "sports car" no longer have the exotic and attention grabbing appeal they once did as manufacturers continue to dilute the pedigree with hot hatch mongrel children. Is this the manufacturers fault or are people deluded that their child transportation device actually holds a place in automotive Crufts?

EDIT: the wall viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32834&p=487644#p487644

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you seen that bank advert, natwest i think,

one of th eblokes on their is asking for a loan, when asked what for he said for an engagement ring, and if she says no, a sports car.

well they did a new advert where they revisit these people and they re vist this bloke and he didn't get engaged and got the sports car, at which point they show a shot with him and his mini cooper.

ehhhhhh Fail,

thats a feather plucking hot hatch :rant:

corsa VXR fail its rollocking hot hatch

if its got more than 3 doors it can't be a sports car. :thumbdown:

precisely biscuit, and that very advert reminded me of the convo today as it was identical so i posted. gone are the days of the Etype, dodge viper, lambo coutach, we all know as exotic sports cars. now in with the focus st's, golf gti's, and corsa vxrs :(

A sports car is a car designed to be pleasurable to drive, all other considerations like practicality and running costs are secondary!

Preferably more cylinders than wheels. (although there are a few exceptions - elises, caterhams etc..)

I know you get FWD sports cars, but i'd rather mine weren't! :drive1

+1 on the Natwest advert!

A mini Cooper S is not a sports car ... it always annoys me when I see that advert ...

I think a sports car has to be fast, desirable and slightly impractical ... LoL

great point with the impractical! i agree thats a huge part of the definition.

+1 on the Natwest advert!

A mini Cooper S is not a sports car ... it always annoys me when I see that advert ...

I think a sports car has to be fast, desirable and slightly impractical ... LoL

For some that'd be the mini then :lol:

sports car has to have no more than 4 seats, no more than 3 doors, must not be a supped up version of something else. i.e. a shopping trolley on steroids. it should preferably be rear wheel drive,

can't think of other criteria,

a soopped up version of something else ............ no no no no no ............

a shopping trolley on steroids ............ definitely no no no no no ............

sports car has to have no more than 4 seats, no more than 3 doors, must not be a supped up version of something else. i.e. a shopping trolley on steroids. it should preferably be rear wheel drive,

can't think of other criteria,

a soopped up version of something else ............ no no no no no ............

a shopping trolley on steroids ............ definitely no no no no no ............

is that you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

:scare: it NEEDS to be rwd end off!

or 4wd

+ no more than 2 seats (or 3 if it's an F1)

+ unique and not a sooped up version of anything

+ have that look whether it's conventionally beautiful or strikingly different

+ go fast

+ have good brakes

+ be a little bit less than affordable

maximum of 4,

don't for get most astons have 4 seats, as do some porsche's

if it has a middle seat in the backa nd can take 5, then its a family car.

and the 2 back seats have to preferably be designed for smurfs, so no normal person over the age of 5 could actually sit in them for any time longer than 15 minutes

whats the opinions on scoobies and evo's

i don't think they are a sports car,

take out the turbo's and the bodykit, and your left with a hyundai saloon

I never knew that Scoobies and Evos were mabe by Hyuandi :wacko:

looks wise, not manufacturer wise, i was comparing the style to a korean car manufacturer,

bland and souless.

maximum of 4,

don't for get most astons have 4 seats, as do some porsche's

if it has a middle seat in the backa nd can take 5, then its a family car.

and the 2 back seats have to preferably be designed for smurfs, so no normal person over the age of 5 could actually sit in them for any time longer than 15 minutes

If it has 4 seats and luggage space it's a Grand Tourer Rich ....................NOT a sports car

Hmmm sports car and mini debate...

If you havnt driven a mini cooper s on a track or fast road you wouldnt know, but they are a sports car in that sense...

If its down to looks, then it has to be low and wide

And it also has to be slightly impractical

Speed has to be able to go faster than 95% of other cars..

If you asked a fezza or lambo owner the same q they prob wouldnt say 350z... But is the Zed a sports or a GT?