The definition of a sports car

Husky

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a caterham is quicker 0-60 than a lot of supercars but top speed is lacking.

i'd class hyper cars as anything daft and capable of over 200mph

some things i'd agree with "souped up" as the astra vxr (especially the ring version) is quick as fook same with the clio v6.

reliability is also something to consider. I'd say tvr is a supercar over a sports car cause they are seen more in a garage being fixed than on the road.

Having thought about this over night, IMO "sports car" is a catergory and then there are sub catergories underneath,

Thus

Sports Car

GT - SuperCar - Hot Hatch etc

Utility

SUV - 4X4 etc

:wacko:

And as usual Wikipedia to the rescue!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

forgot to check wiki, although remember it is just someone's opinion.

means we can do some adjsutments to our sports car wall

In my opinion,

any car car is defined by how it started out on the drawing board.

Therefore corsa's and golf's that were designed to be bought by your mum to transport them around town and to the shops as hatch-backs are just that, when people started hotting up their mum's hatch (er...) then the manufacturers cashed in and hotted up wholesale versions.

A 'Sports Car' was designed on the drawing board as a car to compete in, and not by definition do the shopping - and so sports car's are designed to compete, if they are to compete over distance you add a bit more refinenement like a heater and stuff, so get versions such as the GT for Grand Touring.

Ergo, a hyper car is designed to create hype, and so on.

It all comes down to why the bloke sitting with the blank piece of paper picked up his pen.

J.

Having thought about this over night, IMO "sports car" is a catergory and then there are sub catergories underneath,

Thus

Sports Car

GT - SuperCar - Hot Hatch etc

Utility

SUV - 4X4 etc

:wacko:

And as usual Wikipedia to the rescue!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

forgot to check wiki, although remember it is just someone's opinion.

means we can do some adjsutments to our sports car wall

For me that definition is spot on. My missus was cheesed off when she saw the rear strut, "Why is that silly thing across the back? That doesn't make for a very good boot!" I thought of explaining about torsional stiffness in the bodyshell, but kept quiet; I thought "Great, definately a proper sportcar, impractical and the missus thinks it silly" :yahoo:

I would define a sports car as a car that is designed for sport/speed to the detriment of other facets. Perfect examples are Noble's/Elises/VX220's etc. They are super light and all luxuries are stripped out such as carpet,AC, electric windows etc. Built for speed to the detriment of comfort.

By this definition I don't think that typical Lambo's & Ferrari's are true sports cars as they contain an element of GT about them by the very luxuries that they offer. This is evident by the fact that both Lambo and Ferrari bring out hardcore versions of their cars such as the Superleggara, Scuderia and Challenge Stradale etc etc.

I think that all cars are on a sliding scale and most contain certain elements from one, two or even three categories. A 350z is definitely a GT due to its weight etc. I couldn't ever view a car like an M3 as a sports car as it has 3 rear seats and a massive boot......

The 2wd Lambo Gallardo Balboni, must be close to the pinnacle of a true sportscar. Stripped out and focused. The way the Gallardo should have been on the first place IMO. They had a 4wd all weather car in the Murcielago, why have another but smaller. Guess they were aiming for the 911 Turbo rather than err what else competes with that?? Zonda, Koeninggssseesggg??

Definately a GT car the Z not a pure sports like an Elise no. I looked at pure ones before the Z, but think I found a bloody good balance for everday drudge(mind you have pinched the missus Suzuki Swift for the snowy roads). I like my leccy windows and aircon :blush:

Beside if VBH says its her favourite car of all time, that's fine by me :yahoo:

Bradders

The 2wd Lambo Gallardo Balboni, must be close to the pinnacle of a true sportscar. Stripped out and focused. The way the Gallardo should have been on the first place IMO.

The Balboni is not stripped out at all. It only loses a bit of weight due to the RWD system being lighter than the 4WD in other Gallardo's. The Balboni's performance figures are actually slower than the LP-560. ;)

The 2wd Lambo Gallardo Balboni, must be close to the pinnacle of a true sportscar. Stripped out and focused. The way the Gallardo should have been on the first place IMO.

The Balboni's performance figures are actually slower than the LP-560. ;)

Faster, yes. But which would you rather drive balls out around a race track? Gotta be the Balboni. Plenty cars quicker than a Z, but bar a Lambo, Porsche 911 or Ferrari Scuderia I wanna drive ;)

Having said would I own any of them, no, cause I ain't that rich :thumbdown:

Pound for pound we own the best, as far as I see it. Z FTW!! :yahoo:

Bradders