Nitro RC cars

Ekona

I know there's a few people on here into these, so I wonder if any of you gents would be so kind as to point me in the right direction here?

In short, I went round to see an old friend at the weekend and we ended up playing with his Tamiya Thunder (I think) buggy in the local park, and it was so much fun even after we snapped the front driveshafts and cracked the chassis that I've decided that I absolutely have to get myself one of these. Thing is, I've no idea where to start! I've looked around the interwebs and there's loads of different names about but I don't know which ones are good and which to avoid. Ideally I really want just a box full of parts that I can build myself from scratch so I can really learn about these things, and I also don't want to be stuck with something that I'm going to get bored of quickly because I can't go out and buy any upgrade bits.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated chaps. :thumbs:

Buying an RC model that isn't RTR (ready to run in RD geek talk) is quite difficult.

My advice is to spend a good amount on a decent quality one by one of the big names. That way you can get upgrade parts and it'll be a decent machine to start with.

Also, don't buy a car. They are so low that they are difficult to run. Get a buggy or a truck. Magic fun!

I have a Traxxas Nitro 4Tec car but use my Traxxas Revo MUCH more! I can even get the truck to backflip off ramps!

Buying an RC model that isn't RTR (ready to run in RD geek talk) is quite difficult.

My advice is to spend a good amount on a decent quality one by one of the big names. That way you can get upgrade parts and it'll be a decent machine to start with.

Also, don't buy a car. They are so low that they are difficult to run. Get a buggy or a truck. Magic fun!

I have a Traxxas Nitro 4Tec car but use my Traxxas Revo MUCH more! I can even get the truck to backflip off ramps!

:worthless:

You can see the joy and excitment in little Stewie's face whilst he typed the last bit!!! Yey :p

i built one from scratch as a project, at my last school, we designed and built the chassis, bodyshell, steering system etc. we even designed and made our own exhaust. was cracking fun, and the kids loved it especially when we raced it at silverstone.

get a proper kit though.

buggies definatly offer more fun, unless you have open access to alot of tarmac.... like a school playground/tennis court ;)

Ok, pics as requested. A few mods done on each one including noisier 'performance' exhausts! :thumbs:

Traxxas Nitro 4Tec. 65mph+, 4WD, 2 speed box and acceleration that'd scare a drag car!

Cimg0387.jpg

Cimg0392.jpg

Traxxas Revo. 45mph, 4WD, 2 speed box and MANY mods.

Cimg0376.jpg

Cimg0377.jpg

Cimg0379.jpg

Cimg0383.jpg

I got seriously into Nitro RC last year (bought an HPI Trophy 3.5 and love it!)

Trophy.jpg

If it's your first dabble into Nitro RC'ing, I would advice buying from your local shop as advice comes free from them and they will usually get your engine broken in for you (which can be tricky if you've not done it before). Go for a 1/8th buggy or 1/10th truggy as these will take more abuse without falling to pieces and I would also avoid the temptation of buying second hand. A second hand car is realistically only worth the cost of the radio gear as you don't know how well the engine has been maintained (they require quite a bit of care and wont do much more than 3 gallons without a new piston and liner). Having said that, they're cheap as hell to fix and that's half the fun right there :)

If you're looking to ease yourself in, get an RTR (ready to race) kit, which you'll just need to get batteries and a basic nitro starter kit for. If you fancy a bit more assembly, then you could look for a 90% RTR which you'll have to sort out radio gear for as well. I would avoid buying a completely unassembled kit as your first car - don't worry though, you'll be taking the thing appart more than enough times once you start ragging it arround!

If you need advice, PM me and i'll happily help you out :thumbs:

in my time, i have had loads of RC cars ranging from and F1 car that would only run on a VERY flat surface, to my now love, the Traxxas Revo 3.3.

the revo is awesome!! it is so much fun and almost indestructible, i have smashed it into a lamppost and no damage at all. it is by far the best RC car i have owned, easy to maintain, easy to start and most of all easy to push to the limits!! i reckon it would do about 40mph and would jump about 4-6 meters in the air (off a jump) and lamd with no damage.

it has a 2 speed GB and the sound of it changing is really cool. i think they go for about 350 (with a starter pack)

would i would suggest is a look around for you local model shop (avoid modelzone, unless u have to) as this will be good to pick up spares/fuel and "hop-ups".

as said it is now quite difficult to pick up a build yourself kit nowadays as they all come RTR.

this is a good place to start. all of the cars here are top quality

http://www.mickcharlesmodels.co.uk/pdf/ ... eaflet.PDF

Sparky

im tempted to build one from scratch, but then im tempted to build an engine from scratch aswell :surrender:

think i'll start with a pre built engine :lol:

probably not a bad idea! i couldn't bring myself to ever build a nitro engine from scratch... the thought of something i put together running at 30,000-40,000 rpm+ is pretty terrifying!

im tempted to build one from scratch, but then im tempted to build an engine from scratch aswell :surrender:

probably not a bad idea! i couldn't bring myself to ever build a nitro engine from scratch... the thought of something i put together running at 30,000-40,000 rpm+ is pretty terrifying!

:lol: true indeed. i think it would be more fun to machine the car first and then go from there. i already have a beginners one gathering dust i can rob parts from since its unexpected meeting with a kerb :thumbdown:

:lol: true indeed. i think it would be more fun to machine the car first and then go from there. i already have a beginners one gathering dust i can rob parts from since its unexpected meeting with a kerb :thumbdown:

You should see the state of mine! It's still got a bodge fix on the front-right suspension holder from the time it collided into a football post. The underside of my chasis is also messed up from the time we took them wall riding in the hoppers of a a disused tarmac quarry (totally worth it!)

you should! i'm waiting for the weather to improve before i take mine out for a run for the first time this year. i've got my eye on the new skate park they're building here in norwich... once the skaters inevitably get bored of it, I'll be straight down there on the ramps :D

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Loads of info here to be getting on with and I've got a much better idea now as to what I'm after and where to look, which was exactly what I was after. Am very tempted by the HPI Trophy 3.5 as it seems to be a decent buy at that price, but will have a look at the Traxxas stuff in more detail before I make a concrete decision.

Anyone know or can recommend a shop somewhere near Braintree, or anywhere in Essex really?

I must say that trophy looks good. I can feel my wallet twitching.....

I'm a big Traxxas fan though, they are totally solid and if they do break (which it might when you decided to do stupid stuff and you will......) you can get bits easily and loads of hop ups (mods) available!

The Trophy has been amazing, however, mine currently looks like this as I'm giving it a winter tear down ready - if only servicing the 350z was this cheap and easy!

untitled.jpg

I can't stress how much this thing has been battered in the last year - 15 foot jumps, flying up and over a skateboard half pipe and many collisions with my mate's RC's. As Stew says, you do stupid stuff with them and you will need to spend some cash on the parts (which is another reason for buying local), but once you know what bits you need, they're typically very easy to come by online. My parts bill for last year was probably around £50-£80 in total - would have been less if i hadn't messed up the pull start :)

LOL my FG is in a million bits at teh moment to! i had a wee accident the last time i raced it and tore jsut about everything off it! the repair bill is about £300! the car new is around £1000 just waiting on everything coming across from Germany.

The Trophy has been amazing, however, mine currently looks like this as I'm giving it a winter tear down ready - if only servicing the 350z was this cheap and easy!

untitled.jpg

I can't stress how much this thing has been battered in the last year - 15 foot jumps, flying up and over a skateboard half pipe and many collisions with my mate's RC's. As Stew says, you do stupid stuff with them and you will need to spend some cash on the parts (which is another reason for buying local), but once you know what bits you need, they're typically very easy to come by online. My parts bill for last year was probably around £50-£80 in total - would have been less if i hadn't messed up the pull start :)

Does it back flip? I'm not interested if it doesn't backflip like my Revo! Thats why I needed the cage because I kept messing them up..... practice makes perfect!

Anyone know or can recommend a shop somewhere near Braintree, or anywhere in Essex really?

model shop on broomfield road in chelmsford was quite good. from braintree head to the hospital, go past the turning for broomfield hospital and chelmer valley school, keep going and its somewhere on the left. if you get to the petrol station you've gone too far.

can't remember its name, :blush:

got lots of parts etc from there when i was building the one in school