DTE accuracy - UK model

Number86

Hey chaps,

I was just reading the long distance MPG thread, and someone mentioned the dte read out.

I've never dared test it myself. But I've always wondered about how accurate this is. It's crept onto 0 dte before, where I promptly shat my silken thong and got to the nearest petrol station asap.

Is there any built in "margin for morons" where it in fact has 10/20 miles tucked away somewhere?

Mine is that inaccurate I don't bother with it. Always says I've got 0 dte and then I can only get about 60 litres of fuel in (so it's still a quarter full)!

I've done over 100 miles with it flashing (---) before and still only squeezed about 72 litres in. Using my scanguage (which is far more accurate) I reckon I've got at least 120 miles left when the dte flashes 0 before I need to start panicking about finding a Shell station.

Mine is that inaccurate I don't bother with it. Always says I've got 0 dte and then I can only get about 60 litres of fuel in (so it's still a quarter full)!

I've done over 100 miles with it flashing (---) before and still only squeezed about 72 litres in. Using my scanguage (which is far more accurate) I reckon I've got at least 120 miles left when the dte flashes 0 before I need to start panicking about finding a Shell station.

+1

Ok. If you guys are wrong, and I run out of fuel after 10 miles. I'm going to find both of you, come round your houses while you're at work and "American Pie" your Sunday desserts.

I want pictures if this happens :)

Camera is all ready :thumbs:

I kinda hope he runs out now (as I work from home I'll get all the gory details for you Nurrish)

i run mine down till i get to the dte to flash, have taken it down to about 12 miles, but then it went blank, think i still had about 4 litres even when i topped it up. i've never put more than 76 litres in mine and thats with the fuel showing in the filler neck.

When I got my Z before Christmas I got a full tank of fuel as part of the deal along with tax etc. I ran it until the light came on (didn't realise about the dte guage it was just on time) and brimmed the tank with about 58l. Later when Reading the handbook I saw it said an 80l tank and thought WTF! I know there is probably about a gallon in the pipework but there must be another 2 somewhere else as well.

I think my Dte read out is pretty accurate ...

It's never shown up as something unbelievable like -37 .. LoL

At the moment it's displaying about 70 miles Dte ... and I have about a quarter tank left ...

When he said -37 he meant he's done 37 miles after it said zero i think.

you can't get a negative reading.

I also have never filled up more than 60 litres. but my gauge is always reading a little low i think.