MD 5/16" spacer - is the extra noise noticable?

matth76

I have heard the Motordyne 1/2" plenum spacer will add more of a "growl" to your 350z but is the same true of the thinner 5/16" plenum spacer but just to a slightly lesser extent, or is the extra noise barely noticable? Done a search but cannot find any info about this. Thanks for any help and info.

The problem with the Zed is there is limited tuning avaiable with the ECU in stock tune. Adam@Z1 has covered it a few times that you have to be selective with your mods and what seemingly works for one Zed doesnt work for another. If you bolt on all mods (intake, spacer, decats, exhaust) I will guarentee you will loose power without a remap. Mods on their own will yeild some power (usually) but together we have seen all sorts of weird combos.

Personally, I gained 10HP and a nice slug of torque throughout the rev range with my MD spacer, but some have seen losses. As for noise, on a stock intake, I dont think the noise difference is noticable, but with something like a pop charger, it will make it "roar" a bit more :thumbs:

The problem with the Zed is there is limited tuning avaiable with the ECU in stock tune. Adam@Z1 has covered it a few times that you have to be selective with your mods and what seemingly works for one Zed doesnt work for another. If you bolt on all mods (intake, spacer, decats, exhaust) I will guarentee you will loose power without a remap. Mods on their own will yeild some power (usually) but together we have seen all sorts of weird combos.

Personally, I gained 10HP and a nice slug of torque throughout the rev range with my MD spacer, but some have seen losses. As for noise, on a stock intake, I dont think the noise difference is noticable, but with something like a pop charger, it will make it "roar" a bit more :thumbs:

With all bolt ons (headers wasnt fitted at the time) I gained about 7hp without a remap but TQ was quite a bit down on standard figures :(

With all bolt ons (headers wasnt fitted at the time) I gained about 7hp without a remap but TQ was quite a bit down on standard figures :(

Sorry, should have said torque. And with 7HP was that on the same day? Same dyno, different days, 7HP is neither here nor there, so could have actually lost you a bit of top end too :shrug:

Cant wait to get a Zed that responds to mods :yahoo:

Had it dynoed twice but a few months after fitting mods. Same dyno models but different place.

Run 1 - Kinetix plenum, popcharger, decats, ichiba y-pipe & blitz exhaust = 282hp/240tq

Run 2 - MD 5/16 spacer, popcharger, Custom HFC, custom y-pipe, greddy exhaust = 282hp/242tq

Run 2 was about 18months after run 1

Had it dynoed twice but a few months after fitting mods. Same dyno models but different place.

Run 1 - Kinetix plenum, popcharger, decats, ichiba y-pipe & blitz exhaust = 282hp/240tq

Run 2 - MD 5/16 spacer, popcharger, Custom HFC, custom y-pipe, greddy exhaust = 282hp/242tq

Run 2 was about 18months after run 1

hmm the kinetix plenum has the "spacer" built in so thats pretty expected result?

Cant wait to get a Zed that responds to mods

They do if you remap, all modern ECU,s self tune it the way for the ecu to tune the car for the wear and tear of mileage , different weather conditions. cars have come a long way in the last few years.

If you want to bolt stuff on your need a remap full stop. Even a totally stock car we can make it drive better and give a better spread of bhp/torque after a remap.

370's are even more intelligent but that can wait for another day :D

Mark

If you want to bolt stuff on your need a remap full stop. Even a totally stock car we can make it drive better and give a better spread of bhp/torque after a remap.

370's are even more intelligent but that can wait for another day :D

Mark

See I hear differing views from the US. The 370z seems to respond really well to breathing mods, giving a good slug of HP and torque throughout the rev range (~20HP from intake or exhaust, havent seen conslusive numbers for both combined). Those that have then tried to use UpRev to improve it, have found only minimal gains over the OEM map, which seems to suggest the OEM map does rather well with itself. However those with no mods seem to release about 15-20hp from having UpRev just adjust the AFRs and I beleive a tweak to the timing. Have UpRev cracked the VVEL yet? (or anyone for that matter?)

We'll move this to another thread if you have some juicy info ;)

I've now got the plenum spacer and to be honest I can hardly notice much difference in sound (maybe with the bonnet up I would), perhaps a bit more induction noise. The car certainly pulls a lot harder mid-range - many thanks to Mark at Abbey who did a great job fitting it all :D