ESP saved my life (sort of)

kazman

I know lots here knock the std esp system, but this morning he undoubtedly saved me from binning my car.

I must have hit a greasy frozen patch as the rear started trying to overtake the front at about 55mph (very scary). Have driven plenty of rwd cars before so am a bit suprised i got caught out... thoughts on what i should be checking would be appreciated... or is it simply driving too fast for the variable conditions?

Anyway the esp kicked in strongly and i could really feel it kick in, pulling the car back straight. Unfortunately i must have been overcorecting as i then started swinging the other way. More esp and it eventually sorted itself out, despite my ham fisted inputs.

I would say i was drifting for about 8 seconds and my heart rate probably doubled! I also noticed mid manouvre that my natural reaction had been to brake (i know this is wrong) The abs was kicking in constantly however. Is this because the esp was overiding the brake (doubtfull) or because i still had suc little friction underneath the tyres.

Anyway, for those of you knock the esp system for being too nanying, you never know when it might save your p+j :thumbs:

Im going to the bathroom now....

I think VDC is the JDM name for it on Zeds?

Anyway thanks for all the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

It was just a sweeping right hander, then i noticed the line of the car was tightening explonentionaly (sp) :bangin:

I wasn't stamping on the throttle etc i just think that as the bend tightened a touch one of the wheels slipped a bit and started the process. I am going to have to remember to drive to conditions (really dissapointed with myself tbh, 0°C, big ICE warning etc).

But again, i highly praise the ESP for the way it dealt with it, genuinely impressive use of electronics :clap:

Did you have the ice warning showing in the pod, because from what you have described it sounds like you hit some black ice and yes, the traction control and ABS were working overtime to save your neck.

Glad you and the car survived OK :thumbs:

Yes, ice display was on and it was showing 0°C... have to remember how to drive rwd again. I think the problem is partly that the zed is so relaxed at 50-60mph with no boomy exhaust etc that it lulls you in to a false sense of security. Thats not me blaming the Zed mind....

Yes, ice display was on and it was showing 0°C... have to remember how to drive rwd again. I think the problem is partly that the zed is so relaxed at 50-60mph with no boomy exhaust etc that it lulls you in to a false sense of security. Thats not me blaming the Zed mind....

I had the same this morning on a sweeping left hand bend...gauge was showing -3°C and it was the main road through my village so it looked quite clear.

The whole car started to go, and the ESP kicked in and with a slight flick of the wheel pulled it back in line. Heart rate went up a bit and there was some serious buttock clenching involved too!! :blush:

I blame the RE040s personally...I think they turn from rubber to plastic below 0°C!! :lol:

My tyres are of some concern to me, they are continental contisport contacts... thats v.1... they are on sport contact 3 now...

I can't wait to get through these Bridgestones so I can get something safer in time for next winter!

I might even get a second set of wheels, have one set fitted with Winter Tyres and run them Nov-March :thumbs:

guys get rid of the RE040's i had them and nankangs on before and in all honesty they are death traps and just dangerous in wet/cold, i called them "the ditch finders"

i hit some black ice round xmas time and bashed a kerb, ABS and TC were trying their best but theres nothing you can do with no grip :surrender:

Go easy out there guys, the ICE warning is there for a reason. No matter now good the tyres, nothing short of studs will save you on sheet/black ice. Admittedly the RE040s are cack in the wet and cold, so ditching them will help but nothing is safe on ice, as a 3-series drive in front of me in Slough found out today. Was crawling along as it was icy, he thought he was clever and cut everyone up to hit the patch of ice everyone was avoiding by going slow. Barrier 1 - 0 Beemer driver :doh: Luckily he didnt take anyone with him.

Falkens did the trick this morning on the back road skating rink!

I lost track of Falkens when I went to Toyos...are they still on the FK452? Did yours hold up ok?

I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Vredstein Ultracs, I think they may be my next tyre to try out.

Yeh hold up just fine mate, Toe, camber etc are all set up fine too so that helps

havnt tried the vred's but seems like they had good reviews...

I don't know if it's the Bridgies I've got on (which are almost worn as well)

But in the non wet (but damp) conditions. They are shocking. I accelerate, thinking I'll have grip and the traction control kicks in all the time.

Going round bends and applying a small amount of throttle will cause the back end to just slip out. It's an odd sensation. It's not progressive, and you don't even "feel it". It goes from feeling in control, in a relatively slow turn, to the back silently sliding out. It's scary! I drive like a nun on these damps roads. I'm sure it shouldn't be THIS bad!

I don't know if it's the Bridgies I've got on (which are almost worn as well)

But in the non wet (but damp) conditions. They are shocking. I accelerate, thinking I'll have grip and the traction control kicks in all the time.

Going round bends and applying a small amount of throttle will cause the back end to just slip out. It's an odd sensation. It's not progressive, and you don't even "feel it". It goes from feeling in control, in a relatively slow turn, to the back silently sliding out. It's scary! I drive like a nun on these damps roads. I'm sure it shouldn't be THIS bad!

Then get those tyres changed - you are missing what a ZED is all about if that is the feedback you are getting on the road :scare: