Another CarPc Install (being developed)

hynder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CF 3 or CF Auto is what I have installed and it looks pretty smart. I am new to all this and seem to have picked it up okay with a few pointers from Chris' I

I have managed to modify the boot screens to display the NISSAN logo (thanks Nurrish!!) but still get the small 'Windows is starting' and 'Windows is shutting down' messages which is a slight pain but a minor niggle.

Nurrish, what do you mean by a cut down version of XP? I have disabled all the Boot / start up applications in msconfig and got the boot time down to 32 sec...........bloody slow in comparison though!!!

Try using "Hibernate" from CF instead of Windows shut down/boot up, much faster.

S.

Cheers, will try Hibernate when I connect up the PC as I'm still waiting for a bigger memory stick.

Carnetix Power regulator now installed where the NAVI unit used to be and all cables are run and loomed in so I hope I've not forgotten anything as the interior is re assembled!!!!

Just waiting for the memory to arrive so I can get the PC mounted in the glove box and give it a go.

nice stuff :thumbs:

Try and turn off the page file in windows xp, some geek reports that it's killing of the drives quicker if you let it do all the read and writes all the time. With 2gb RAM you should be fine running XP and any other apps you like without swap file. Should really look into using one of my motherboards for a PC build myself... what costs are you looking at (not including any massive hours spent on making it)

A :dance:

Not cheap!!! But it's been a labour of love!!!!

Check out LinITX.com for parts.

Amp style PC with 32Gb Solid Satate Drive - £300

Transflective 7" touchscreen - £350 (ordinary screen £189)

Carnetix P1900 Power Regulator - £49

USB GPS Receiver - £49

Centrafuse software - £47

NavMii Sat NAv software - £29.99

Pioneer DVD re-writer - £22

Trim parts for control panel and blank trim for old Navi Unit slot - £45

BlaZt Nissan Onboard Diagnostics cable and software - £100

High gain Digital Aerial - £19

Cables, wires, tv tuner dongle, wireless dongle, switches and hardware - £50

Just got the DVD re writer to install in the cubby above the glove compartment and get the thing up and running.

Good to see you are making excellent progress chap.

I found if you remove the top left hand cover on the rear strub bar, you can fit the GPS mouse in there nicely and run the cable down to the pc in the cubby area. The plastic fits over the top with no real drop in reception. Keeps it all nicely hidden then :thumbs:

Yeh, I had thought about that chris but I had an IPAQ with a GPS receiver for Tom Tom a few years ago and I already had the metal plate for the magnet and the small hole cut in the top of the dash. If I hadn't had that then I would have gone for the rear strut brace.

Just installed the memory and have been playing about with the set up this afternoon. A few niggles but getting through them one at a time.

Soon it will be complete.

Will be good to see it up and running. My GPS mouse has decided to tell Windows its not a GPS mouse at all, so not working atm :bang: Need to do a proper power down and reboot it, but thats easier said than done where its mounted, and the weather is pap :thumbdown:

You checked to see if the COM port has changed?

It does it now and again, there is a conflict between the touch screen USB mouse and the GPS. For some reason xport can still pick up its a GPS reciever, but the apps connected to it cant, so I guess its xport screwing something up now and again. Normally it screws the GPS COM port, so have to power it off, remove the USBs, power back up, insert them one by one, GPS will show up on a different COM, then have to change xport to the new COM, and also the 2 that it replicates to, finally change any apps that run off them to point to their new ports. One final reboot releases the original ports and all sorted! Its a right faff, but weirdly only happes maybe twice a year. :yawn:

Well you'll not have to worry about that withe the new Zed!!!!

True, but at least when the PC breaks I know I can fiddle with it and make it work. If the OEM satnav goes mad, I'll have to take it back all the time. But it should be a lot more robust to start with I guess :thumbs:

Well that's it pretty much finished and tested.

Just got a blanking plate to cover the void where the old navi unit was.

I've also got an issue with the Navmii software in that I cannot activate the maps.

I'm also going to change the control panel as I'm not happy with the switch layout as it gets in the way of the centrafuse navigation buttons.

I've also attached a pic of the NDSII diagnostics software which uses a BlaZt cable. Quite smart as it also has a data log function.

Will post pics of the new control panel once I have it finished.

Cheers Nurrish. It was all helped by the way thet PC technology has come opn leaps and bounds........no need to rip apart old laptops, displays etc and try and integrate them into a working CarPC.

Anyway, at least the old Japanese Sat Nav is finally been sent to the big scrappy in the sky!!!! :yahoo:

No bother at all. Here to help. The forum has been a real help and Chris & Nurrish have been good at pointing me in the right direction. It's always good to see another persons install too to get some ideas.

Is there an howto to take the interior apart on the Z?

lots of it is common sense with the zed interior, most of the parts overlap so its a case of start at the top and work your way down.

As Husky said, lots of common sense. If a panel ain't budging then go easy. I've had to replace quite a few through my errors but now I can practically take the interior apart blind folded!!!!!