Another CarPc Install (being developed)

hynder

I'm in the process of installing a PC in my Zed and I thought I'd share my experiences with you on the way.

I've got a '03 JDM and have already changed the nav to UK spec, upgraded the HU to a double DIN with IPOD and Bluetooth and I've installed a 10" woofer with amp. The car came with a JDM OEM camera system (2 front wing mounted and 1 rear mounted) which has been a bit of a bugger to interface with the nav system. After a lot of fiddling and trial and error I managed to integrate it and I also added a DVB-TV tuner along the way.

Now that technology has moved on, there are a lot more pruducts on the market designed to make a car Pc install alot more easier so I have waited long enough and am now taking the plunge. It should be a doddle as I have had the interior stripped down more times than the dancers in Bugsy Browns (Aberdeen members will understand!!!!)

Anyway, I have all the hardware and software and I'm just taking my time.

I bought a VOOM box pentium based PC, transflective 7" touchscreen, carnetics 1900 dual power supply and various dongles/tuners etc which I'll go into later.

When I got the UK spec nav from an X-trail, it came with a display also so I have used the frame of the display to transplant the transflective array into. Check the pics below. This means there is no bother with modifying or cutting bits off the cubby / trim as I would like to be able to return the car to OEM nav when I sell it. It is actually quite a neat unit.

I've carried out bench testing of all the gear and installed all the various applications and drivers. I installed the Centrafuse Auto graphic interface which I'm spending a bit of time customising before I install it.

Anyway, that's as far as I have got so I'll keep the forum up to date with my progress but haven't got any timescale yet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if I've seen you about either srobrien. Has your Zed any distinguishing features?

I'm driving a blue Zed with full Vertex Aero kit and GT4 wheels. My profile pic is an old one.

The Voom box or VoomPC is just the type of case which looks like an amp. My plan is to mount it in the cubby behind the passenger seat so that I have full access to it. I've attached the link. I bought the pc from an ebay seller who makes these things up. He basically throws all the components together then it's down to you to make it work. Looking at it all now, I could probably have saved a few quid if I bought the components individually, but the guy made sure it was all compatible before selling it to me. It also has a Solid State Drive for faster booting which I upgraded. It originally came with linux but I couldn't get used to the operation of it, so I created a partition on the SDD and installed XP so it is now a dual boot system. XP has the priority and I never see the Linux at all.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10858

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/nextgenca ... ec0Q2em322

Unfortunately, although Linux is very quick, there isnt the demand for the software out there for CarPCs, so you wont ever use it. XP is the way to go, you only want basic functionality and low resource usage and best driver compatibility. You'll be looking at CF all the time anyway, not the OS B)

Not sure if I've seen you about either srobrien. Has your Zed any distinguishing features?

I'm driving a blue Zed with full Vertex Aero kit and GT4 wheels. My profile pic is an old one.

Apart from a CF bonnet with 2 great vents in it, not really :lol:, definatly not seen yours i would have recognised such a destinctive kit. You should get yourself along to some NE meets.

R

CF 3 or CF Auto is what I have installed and it looks pretty smart. I am new to all this and seem to have picked it up okay with a few pointers from Chris' I

I have managed to modify the boot screens to display the NISSAN logo (thanks Nurrish!!) but still get the small 'Windows is starting' and 'Windows is shutting down' messages which is a slight pain but a minor niggle.

Nurrish, what do you mean by a cut down version of XP? I have disabled all the Boot / start up applications in msconfig and got the boot time down to 32 sec...........bloody slow in comparison though!!!

CF 3 or CF Auto is what I have installed and it looks pretty smart. I am new to all this and seem to have picked it up okay with a few pointers from Chris' I

I have managed to modify the boot screens to display the NISSAN logo (thanks Nurrish!!) but still get the small 'Windows is starting' and 'Windows is shutting down' messages which is a slight pain but a minor niggle.

Nurrish, what do you mean by a cut down version of XP? I have disabled all the Boot / start up applications in msconfig and got the boot time down to 32 sec...........bloody slow in comparison though!!!

You need to look in the right places ;)

I got a version which is basically a bare bones without any crap....i will have a look around for you

CF Auto is CF3 from what I can gather. They want $49 for me to upgrade my version which I CBA with as I'm getting rid of it in a few months. You can get CF to read sensors if you are very good at programming, using USB daughter boards and some sensor kit which I forget the name of. Its very hardcore though.

I think to change the "Windows is starting up" writing, you need to modify the binary that control startup and shutdown, its not as simple as the logos by any means, and its pretty dangerous to the system if you feck it up. I always shyed away from it as I didnt want to kill my system. I beleive you have to hex edit the binary.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, things are progressing.

I received a cubby blanking plate from JAS (Japanese Auto Solutions) A great company for sourcing NISSAN parts which are hard to find. Since I was needing to remove the NAVI control panel, I had to replace it with a blanking plate which needed to be modified for the screen menu / brightness controls, a PC reset button and I also have a switch hooked up to a power relay so thet I can switch off the main power if the PC crashes without having to disconnect the battery.

Since it was not designed to be a panel, filed down any protrusions and filled in any holes and gaps with Araldite. I then gave it a couple of coats of Satin black before mounting the controls and switches.

It looks okay and I am pretty pleased with it.

Next is to mount the Carnetix power supply where the old navi unit was.

Make up a LOOM for the power and controls

Run in USB, GPS and Touch screen cables.

Then the final part will be fitting the PC into the Glove box at the back of the passenger seat and also to mount the DVD ROM in the cubby next to the old NAVI unit.